View Full Version : *Sigh* My Dilemma...

DeanGuitarPlaya
03-05-09, 01:22 AM
Hello everyone! I'm new here and from what I've seen this is a great community of people looking to aide each other as best as they can! Well for starters I'm a 15 year old male with a pretty big dilemma. My problem has persisted constantly for the past year, constantly getting worse and worse. It all started with an incident at school where I became severely intoxicated and went to school. Had about 13 shots of vodka and thought it would be a fantastic idea to go to school. Of course I ended up getting caught for my dreary action. I was then sent to an alternative school and my parents finally thought it was time to seek help for my problems. I forgot to mention that I have been using Marijuana and various amounts of other drugs on and off for the past year as well. My parents took me to seek help from a family therapist. After weeks of getting no where, my therapist thought it would be good to check out a psychiatrist. So I ended up doing so. It turned out that I had Generalized Anxiety Disorder. I thought great! My problems will hopefully be solved. As it turns out, they only got worse. After researching intensely for hours and hours about anxiety, my research eventually ended up on the subject of ADHD (everything seemed to have fit me perfectly to a T. I had never put forth so much effort in researching anything before..Mainly because it interested me so much that it all matched me), I thought it would be a good idea to talk to my parents about it. After confronting my parents about my findings, I decided to try out some adderall and see if it had any effect on me, seeing as I had experienced with drugs before, I thought why not..It couldn't hurt. What a terrible idea. I got a hold of some at my school, but somehow it ended up getting back to my principal (i attend a small school, so word spreads like wildfire). He notified my parents, and I was sent back to the alternative school. Except this time it was for possesing controlled substances at school. This completely ruined it for me. My mom even told my GP about what happened and what I was trying to attain, so now he is unwilling to prescribe me anything of street worth. I'm not even one to distribute drugs. So now my parents, and my GP are against the thought of me having ADHD, because they think I want to get high or make money. It completely destroys me to think of the turn of events that have happened. I'm convinced that to go along with my anxiety, I have ADHD. I have rushes of energy that come at me throughout the day, which renders me useless when it comes to completing school work. I'm extremely self-concious when I shouldn't be. Going to sleep at night is a fight because of the racing thoughts of any and everything.

I guess what I'm getting at is if there is anyone that could PLEASE assist me with my ordeal PLEASE do. I need all the help I can get on this one for a proper evaluation. If you have any questions or comments about my situation please PM or post..I just layed out the jist of what happened in the thread, and I have no clue if I left anything out..But now I'm just rambiling. If you made it this far, then congrats!

ndnbutterfly
03-05-09, 10:59 AM
Welcome Dean! We're so glad to have you here!:)

johnny s.
03-05-09, 11:30 AM
yeah that's a tough one.

and remember most of us have ADHD so reading a big long paragraph like that is hard.

here's the reader's digest version -

Dean is 15 and has a history of drug & alchohol use & abuse.

After getting in enough trouble his parents took him for help & he got dx'ed & decided to try to score some adderall off the street instead of waiting for some meds through 'proper channels'.

so now they think the whole ADD dx was just a scam to get stims.

but he really wants help for whatever is causing him to get in so much trouble.

there :D

Dean maybe start with telling us -other than the drinking & drugs, what other problems are you having with school/life?

DeanGuitarPlaya
03-05-09, 06:35 PM
Well in school I have straight A's, but where I go it takes no effort at all to make A's. All you have to do is fill a sheet out and boom instant 100. I have never been able to read any assigned books. Whenever I try to read them I totally zone out and forget what it was that I read. And projects I can never do. I always procrastinate until the last second, and even then I don't do it. My parents get fed up and do them for me. At school I get bursts of energy out of no where, and its near impossible to control it/me. I'm just a mess at school, but my parents see no problems due to my grades, which is pretty up surd.

At home, I always have to be doing something, but most of my time is spent on the computer play video games or myspacing. When my parents ask me to do chores I say I'll do it, but it never gets done. They've gotten pretty ****ed off at me, but I still never do them. I misplace things a lot. I've lost about 10 keys to my house, a cellphone, and too many other important things. I'm also pretty defiant and have fights with my parents a lot. My dad exhibits the same behaviors as I do, which is why I think if I do have ADD/ADHD it might be hereditary. But my dad is really stubborn and will deny anything that he is opposed to. His mom even has ADD and so do my cousins. All of the symptoms are right in front of my parents face, but with me getting in trouble and everything they refuse to help me/accept something is wrong.

With relationships its pretty hard to keep them together. I drift from friend to friend..And it really annoys me because I can't keep really any friendship.

With self-esteem, its taking a brutal blow. I feel over weight even though I'm 6'0 and 155. I feel unwanted and inferior to other people. I can never stick with a goal/hobby....I change up my hobbies about once every month.

I'm also very disorganized. My room, desk, and anywhere where I inhabit is a complete mess.

I just wish my parents weren't so blind and stubborn.

Any other questions/comments?

wifeandmom
03-06-09, 01:32 AM
Dean, hope you'll be ok with advice from a mom of a teen with ADHD. You're in a bad spot right now. Your parents were already worried about your drinking so they're going to freak out about meds. To get an accurate diagnosis, you need their help. Any doctor you see will want to know what you were like when you were younger - the further back the better. So you'll have to work on gaining their confidence in you.

Tell your parents that you realize they have a hard time trusting you right now, but you want to do what it takes for them to trust you again. Stay completely sober and clean. Pretend your curfew is half an hour earlier than it really is so you aren't late coming home. Don't do anything shady. Try to offer information about what's going on in your life.

Be honest with them that you think you have ADHD and want them to help you get evaluated by a psychiatrist - not just your GP. Tell them that if you are diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed meds, they can keep all of them and give them to you every time. Tell them you'll take them in front of them so they can verify you aren't cheeking or palming them to sell later. Tell them you're willing to try a non-stimulant like Strattera or Wellbutrin (if you have GAD, those might be the first-line therapy anyway since Ritalin, Adderall, etc. can increase anxiety). Tell them that you are interested in Daytrana (Ritalin patch - hard to abuse because it's absorbed slowly through your skin) or Vyvanse (amphetamine "pro-drug" - hard to abuse because your digestive system basically activates the meds - you can't get a rush from snorting it).

Ask them to get on the forum here and read about the symptoms of ADHD, the different kinds of medication options, co-existing disorders like anxiety, oppositional defiant disorder, etc.

Tell your parents you know you haven't been functioning as the best version of yourself lately and you want to change that.

Good luck.

DeanGuitarPlaya
03-06-09, 02:10 AM
Thank you very much Wifeandmom! You gave me a direction in which I should go in. I'm thinking after I hit my 2 months sober mark I'll discuss this further with them. I'll be sure to post back if I have any questions or comments. Thank you again! You're a big help =]

johnny s.
03-06-09, 12:46 PM
yeah, sounds like you're adhd Dean

and wifeandmom's advice sounds perfect.

good luck and keep us updated about how things are going.

also, there's lots of good advice on here that can help you. meds are just a small part of adhd treatment.

knowledge is the other part.