View Full Version : therapy ?

fluster
03-10-09, 02:14 PM
I know I have adhd. The problem I'm having is what to exspect. I am trying to get dx and want meds along with therapy. So should I be completely honest obout my drug use-probley not. Will the doc ask me real personel questions or just fill out a testing form? Is therapy needed for adhd or should it be a personel choice??????????
I would be greatefull for any info

adhd editor
03-11-09, 09:11 PM
You could certainly use therapy to treat ADHD. However, specific types of therapy work better than others for ADD adults. Cognitive-behavioral therapy has proven to be effective. You can use CBT to pick up where the meds leave off.

http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/912.html

Just be sure to get an accurate diagnosis.
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/1876.html

Good luck

Aquablue
03-12-09, 01:36 AM
If you want stimulant medication., you'll likely need a comprehensive evaluation by a psychiatrist or nurse practitioner. I've heard of family doctors prescribing anti-depressants from the start but not stimulants for Adult ADD/ADHD --unless an initial evaluation is performed by a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner.

Of course my experience is limited to me and the people I know, and only the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT).

While I did read one story on this site about a psychiatrist who dxed everyone who came to him w/ADHD and prescribed stimulant medication without asking pertinent questions.....I've never heard another story like that. Maybe it's different from state to state but in my experience.....yes, psychiatrists and NPs who evaluate for medication will indeed ask personal questions.

Counseling/coaching by a professional is important, and especially if an ADD/ADHDer on stimulant medication has a prior hx. of drug abuse.

Most important is that you find someone you're comfortable with and relate to who is knowledgeable about ADD/ADHD. In my opinion that would be a credentialed mental health professional: social worker, psychologist, or psychiatrist -- if you can find one who counsels. My preference, though not everyone's, would be that the counselor is an ADD/ADHDer himself/herself.

In an ideal world, the counselor and prescriber would be the same person so treatment would not be fragmented........but it's pretty rare to find that. Most psychiatrists don't counsel, and neither social workers nor psychologists can prescribe.

Good luck!:)