View Full Version : 48 hr adderall crash, now Focalin XR

txguy
03-10-09, 08:33 PM
I took a series of tests and the testing center concluded I had mild ADD-inattentive. A few weeks later I took my first dose of 20 mg Adderall (generic b-973). About 1 hour after I took it, I felt the best I've felt in years. I didn't space out on tasks at all. Normally I will read about 7-10 pages in an hour. I read 25 pages in a half hour, cleaned half the house, did 2 loads of laundry and accomplished a lot of other things I've put off for months. I was extremely alert and so excited that it was working, but about 8 hours after I took it, I had a slight headache and was jittery.

I went to sleep earlier than usual, woke up about 4 times in the middle of the night, and had mild arm/leg cramps. The next day I felt like I had the worst hangover in years. I had a mild headache, occasional palpitations, dry mouth/lips, and couldn't eat more than a few bites of food all day even when forcing myself. I felt nauseous and tried throwing up a few times throughout the day but nothing happened. This happened for over 48 hours after the dose wore off, then I felt back to normal.

I told my doctor and he told me to try 10mg Focalin XR. I took it for 3 days, but stopped the 4th day after I called the doctor. It was great for keeping me awake throughout the day, but it did nothing to help me focus, gave me palpitations during stressful situations, and I felt the "anxious chest" others users have mentioned.

Today I just tried 5mg of adderall. I felt slightly more focused than usual (I spaced out maybe 8 times in a 1 hour class compared to the usual 12+ times), but not nearly the same level of focus I had with 20mg. Even with the 5mg I had the same sort of headache that lasted only about 2 hours, and occasional arm cramps. I've had 64 oz of water and 32oz of gatorade since I took the 5mg, so I'm doubting dehydration is an issue. My doctor wants me to come in again, most likely to prescribe something else.

I'm sincerely hoping someone here has had a similar story to this but with a happy ending. I was so excited with the 8 first hours of 20mg adderall, and I would love to be able to experience that daily with little or no side effects. Does anyone have ANY advice or suggestions on what I can do or where I can go to figure this out?

elegy
03-10-09, 09:30 PM
20mg sounds like it was way too much for you, as well as the 10mg Focalin XR. That hyperfocused, driven, almost euphoric feeling mixed with the physical effects that you experienced is, in my opinion, obviously the result of too high of a dose. Your doctor started you on an abnormally high dose - you should've been started on 5mg.

Your body needs to adjust to the 5mg for a few days, so expect some uncomfortable side effects until you've been on the med long enough. I'm sure you're not going to want to hear this, but... there is no med that will give you that initial feeling from the adderall without side effects. That's not the purpose of these meds.

Also keep in mind, meds are not an ADD cure - there is no "cure." You need to be working with a counseler/therapist/coach to address the behaviors that are part of ADD. You stated in your post that you have "mild ADD - inattentive." I suggest you invest more time and effort into treatments focused on behavior modification and other non-med therapies.

It seems your doctor has done a poor job of educating you about ADD and treatment. It also seems that your doc is a bit med happy.

hollywood
03-10-09, 10:15 PM
elegy-

eventhough adhd is primarily an organic disorder and treatment does rely heavily on medication what you state does make sense. For many medication for adhd often will provide symptom relief almost at one hundred percentile , but we should as you state be aware of support and preventative life measures to facilitate medication and lifestyle changes that will provide structure and work with not against those of us like you and I with true adhd .