View Full Version : Annoyed with my Psychiatrist/Therapist

chris87
03-12-09, 06:14 PM
Although I originally liked my psychiatrist, I am actually starting to not like him at all. Aside from handling my medications, I also see him for talk therapy. I feel like too much time is wasted to accomplish much of anything, and when we do talk, the sessions are too short. By the time I explain the issue, he has five minutes to make a response. I noticed that he will not go over the time allotted by 30 seconds (not that I would expect him too, but I feel like every once in a while he could make a small exception).

What really annoys me is when he spends what I consider too much time on a tangent. For example, during one session I said that something was a "Catch 22." He was like "do you know the origin of catch 22?" He then proceeded to waste five minutes telling me how the phrase came into existence. Then another time, he was suggesting that I read different books and wasted so much time talking about an author he thought that I'd like. I felt like saying, "I really DON'T care. I'm paying to discuss my problems."

He also does not seem to take enough time to understand my problems. I often feel like I have to refresh his memory, because he doesn't remember things that I went over in a prior session. And if we end talking about an OCD issue, he'll totally forget about it, even though I think it would be an important starting point the following week.

My last complaint...I just feel like he isn't well-read and current on psychopharmacology. I had mentioned reading that SSRIs can increase the risk of bleeding (especially combined with NSAIDs), and he was totally clueless. He pulled out some medication guide and wasted excessive time looking through it. Then I asked about seeing that increasing Serotonin reduces Dopamine, and he didn't know anything about that.

Am I just being too picky, or does anything think that I don't have a good psychiatrist? Like I said, maybe I'm just expecting too much.

FinallyAnswered
03-12-09, 07:35 PM
Although I originally liked my psychiatrist, I am actually starting to not like him at all. Aside from handling my medications, I also see him for talk therapy. I feel like too much time is wasted to accomplish much of anything, and when we do talk, the sessions are too short. By the time I explain the issue, he has five minutes to make a response. I noticed that he will not go over the time allotted by 30 seconds (not that I would expect him too, but I feel like every once in a while he could make a small exception).

What really annoys me is when he spends what I consider too much time on a tangent. For example, during one session I said that something was a "Catch 22." He was like "do you know the origin of catch 22?" He then proceeded to waste five minutes telling me how the phrase came into existence. Then another time, he was suggesting that I read different books and wasted so much time talking about an author he thought that I'd like. I felt like saying, "I really DON'T care. I'm paying to discuss my problems."

He also does not seem to take enough time to understand my problems.
Am I just being too picky, or does anything think that I don't have a good psychiatrist? Like I said, maybe I'm just expecting too much.

Heya Chris.....although I don't have any experience with Psychiatrists, that line up above speaks volumes. Perhaps he is ADD himself? It doesn't sound to me like he's listening very well because NO Doctor should interrupt your sessions by playing Trivial Pursuit or The Oprah Book Club.

I don't think that you're expecting too much when you're asking the person you are paying to listen to actually LISTEN......I would consider that a very reasonable request.

If this is a frequent occurrence, I would consider finding someone else to talk to and treat you.....unfortunately, since he is also handling your meds, you want to make sure you're set up on the other end before you decide to drop him.

Good luck!

Aquablue
03-12-09, 10:43 PM
Hey Chris87

I think the way your psychiatrist manages time is unfair.

You're realistic not to expect extra time.
But you're essentially paying part of his salary, putting food on his table. Doesn't matter if it's out-of-pocket or via insurance. Either way, it goes in his pocket. In a sense, you're the boss and he's the employee.

Bosses don't go out of their way to meet w/employees for the sake of being patronized or listening to useless anecdotes. Of course the meeting can be warm, friendly and involve mutual exchange .........after business (in this case, your needs) is taken care of.....BUT....that would more than the allotted time.

"To-the-minute" is sometimes necessary for busy therapists. If there aren't cancellations, there's little room. A big factor that makes time limits necessary is that one or more patients may be having a serious crisis and the therapist needs more than 45 minutes to help stabilize the person. Sometimes way more.

What's missing in the situation you describe is equity. His "to-the-minute" behavior should be coupled with an "every-minute-belongs-to-Chris" attitude. If he continues to do his own thing and use you as his audience.......you should either point out the discrepancy (difficult, I know) or find another therapist.

FinallyAnswered makes a good point regarding medication. You don't want to be without. One possibility, if you're satisfied with his judgement in prescribing, is to keep him for med. review (usually 15 mins. monthly or bi-monthly) and find another talk therapist.

Hope it works out for you.

Driver
03-12-09, 11:43 PM
My psych is the same - doesn't remember a ****ing thing between appointments. Bloody annoying.