View Full Version : Case Manager

netsavy006
03-16-09, 08:55 PM
Before I was released from the hospital today my social worker had submitted an application for me to have a case manager (or something of the sort). Does anyone have one and know what it's like? Please let me know what it's like to have a case manager.

Thanks,
Andy...

Aquablue
03-16-09, 10:31 PM
Hey Andy,

I've never had a case manager but I am familiar with the mental health field. So I'll try to explain the purpose of a case manager for a client like yourself who has recently been discharged.

First, the case manager's overall function is to make sure you're getting the services you need in the community. The case manager will assist you in your transition from the hospital to the community. The relationship between case manager and client is typically supportive and friendly, so you have nothing to worry about. :)

Second, the case manager usually has a nursing or social work background, and both are professional helpers. Usually, but not always, case managers are female. That is just because the nursing and social work professions are dominated by women.

Third, here are examples of the everyday duties of a case manager:

- To assess your health and make sure your medications are working properly. Case managers don't examine clients but they do ask plenty of questions.:rolleyes: You won't mind, though. It will allow the case manager to make sure you're doing well and have everything you need.

-To link you to services that will benefit you. This might include things like making sure you're comfortable with your doctor (and finding you a new one if you're not) and also, making sure your educational needs are met.

Good luck meeting your case manager. Let us know how it works out!

netsavy006
03-18-09, 01:47 PM
Well I met with my case manager today. Everything went great. She's going to look into seeing where I am in the waiting list for the program I'm going to be entering into. She's going to make sure that I will manage my medications and help me with other services throughout the community. She's also going to work on a plan to help with my socialization skills too. I really enjoyed her visit because I really know that we are making a step in the right direction and I can feel that she (the case manager) is going to be of a big help to me.

Aquablue
03-19-09, 01:35 PM
Hey Netsavy,

So glad to hear your meeting with casemanager went well.:D
I feared I was too optimistic.
I tried to describe a casemanager's role with accuracy
But there are certain things we can't predict or control
Can't really know if a casemanager will have pleasing personality:rolleyes:
Or an unbearable body odor:eek:
I'm glad she did (have a nice personality)
And she didn't (stink):)

Take good care,
Aqua