View Full Version : first time poster

kattsqueen
03-17-09, 11:54 AM
hello every one! this is my first post here. I was diagnosed with add about ten years ago. I also have high blood pressure, fibromyalgia , and chronic fatique. The reason I stopped treatment was due to the poorly controlled high blood pressure. My blood pressure in pretty much under control with medication now. While on adderal my head was so much clearer..It hurt when i had to quit the medication with all of my problems. My question or concern of most importance to me is whether other persons wih hypertension have been able to take stimulants to treat their add. I would sincerely appreciate any information any one can give!

The ADHD Fan
03-17-09, 12:27 PM
This is a common question. As far as blood pressure increases (http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.com/2008/10/are-adhd-stimulant-drugs-bad-for-your.html), there typically is at least some degree of a boost (mainly in the systolic or "higher number"), but it's often only an increase of around 5mm Hg). Vyvanse (http://adhd-treatment-options.blogspot.com/2008/12/evaluation-of-vyvanse-for-adhd.html), can also boost blood pressure, but these effects are often more at higher doses. Sometimes, Clonidine, a drug for high blood pressure can be effective for ADHD as well. Hope this helps a bit by giving you a bit more info. Best of luck to you!

kattsqueen
03-17-09, 12:44 PM
Thanks fan!
i apprediate your quick reply and i have read about clonidine working for some people.
Ive been on accupril for about fifteen years and the dose i am taking now along with torsemoid is keeping my blood pressure right where i need it to be. I was taking adderal I believe aout 10 mgs three times a day when it started to go up again. I really didnt have an option at that time as my Psychiatrist withdrew my prescription at that time. Thanks so much for your input! I am still interested in knowing if any else is able to take adderal with high blood pressure treatment.

firstdesserts
03-17-09, 01:04 PM
Welcome, newbie!

FinallyAnswered
03-17-09, 01:09 PM
hello every one! this is my first post here. I was diagnosed with add about ten years ago. I also have high blood pressure, fibromyalgia , and chronic fatique. The reason I stopped treatment was due to the poorly controlled high blood pressure. My blood pressure in pretty much under control with medication now. While on adderal my head was so much clearer..It hurt when i had to quit the medication with all of my problems. My question or concern of most importance to me is whether other persons wih hypertension have been able to take stimulants to treat their add. I would sincerely appreciate any information any one can give!

Hiya Katts and welcome.

Fellow hypertensive here......normally stage II (>160/100) without BP or ADD meds. Because of my past problems with hypertension, my Doc takes it into careful consideration and I have become my own best advocate. I take my blood pressure whenever possible and keep a log of it.

The irony in the whole situation is that my BP is better controlled because of the ADD meds. Whereas I used to often forget or just neglect to take my BP meds, I am now MUCH more cognizant of their importance in relation to the stimulants I'm now taking. Even though the ADD meds do elevate my blood pressure, it is much more consistent than it used to be because I force myself to take my BP meds daily......the pills are in the same slot in my dayplanner....no excuses now....:D

Another ancillary benefit is that the stimulant ADD meds help make me more aware of what's going on around me, including my hypertension.

Peace!

kattsqueen
03-17-09, 04:13 PM
Hiya Katts and welcome.

Fellow hypertensive here......normally stage II (>160/100) without BP or ADD meds. Because of my past problems with hypertension, my Doc takes it into careful consideration and I have become my own best advocate. I take my blood pressure whenever possible and keep a log of it.

The irony in the whole situation is that my BP is better controlled because of the ADD meds. Whereas I used to often forget or just neglect to take my BP meds, I am now MUCH more cognizant of their importance in relation to the stimulants I'm now taking. Even though the ADD meds do elevate my blood pressure, it is much more consistent than it used to be because I force myself to take my BP meds daily......the pills are in the same slot in my dayplanner....no excuses now....:D

Another ancillary benefit is that the stimulant ADD meds help make me more aware of what's going on around me, including my hypertension.

Peace!
thanks so much for your response finally answered! are you now having your add treated as well as your blood pressure? could you tell me alittle more about youre experiences getting all every thing regulated? I have a wonderfull new Dr. that i would like to raise this issue with. how did youaddress this with your doctor?

FinallyAnswered
03-17-09, 04:48 PM
thanks so much for your response finally answered! are you now having your add treated as well as your blood pressure? could you tell me alittle more about youre experiences getting all every thing regulated? I have a wonderfull new Dr. that i would like to raise this issue with. how did youaddress this with your doctor?

I was very open with my doctor because he is also ADD and is very understanding and compassionate. I let him know that I was hypertensive from the get-go and we worked out a plan, because I didn't want to wind up in the ER AGAIN with Malignant Hypertension and another 6 day hospital stay.

I really keep an eye on my BP now that I'm on stimulants, but it's really been under control in the short time since I began treatment a couple of weeks ago. You have to understand that for me, to keep it under 120/80 is a physiological impossibility, so we worked out acceptable guidelines according to my averages when I wasn't on stimulants.

I was also very clear with the Doc that I was willing to risk a certain increase in the amount of cardiovascular possibilities in exchange for a much better quality of life. I also told him that the stress of dealing with untreated ADD was probably taking MORE of a toll on my health than the possible increase in BP ever would and being ADD himself, he agreed.

So, be honest with your Doctor and tell him/her that the stress of living with your condition untreated just may be one of the causes of your elevated BP. It may make sense for you as it did for me. :)

Good luck!

mctavish23
03-21-09, 12:27 PM
First of all,Welcome to the FORUM.

The short answer for me is "yes."

I'm on my eight ADHD med.Currently, I take :

Wellbutrin 100mg bid (ADHD & Depression)

Vyanse 70mg Q am (ADHD)

Monopril 10mg bid (hbp)

Nortriptyline 75mg hs (Sleep-but also synergistic w/ ADHD meds)

What really got me was Straterra (Amoxitine); a non-stimulant.

It raised my bp, while Monopril tried to keep it in check.

My doc said they "went to war against each other."

You know when you're in trouble when your own doc goes, "OMG! You look like sh_t."

I ended up in the ER for 4+ hrs. They were debating keeping me overnight,

but I chose being miserable at home.

It took a little over 3 weeks for Straterra to finally get out of my body.

Suffice to say I'm considered to be "allergic" to it.

Technically, I suppose we could do an "experiment" where I don't take the Monopril, and

then re-start the Straterra, but if that were to ever happen, I'd be commitable.

IMO, it comes down to individual body chemistry.

For the last 3+years,I've taken Adderall XR 30mg bid+(reg)Adderall 10mg bid=100mg

daily.

It worked,but made me very sleepy throughout the day.

A good friend is a pharmacy rep for SHIRE, maker of both Vyvanse & Adderall.

She also has ADHD and knows me pretty well.She encouraged me to try Vyvanse, as

she'd also switched herself.

Today is month #2 on Vyvanse 70mg. The #1 work impairment for me has always been

underproductivity with paperwork, as I'm always considerably behind.

In the one month on Vyvanse, I (literally) cut my late paperwork in half,while still

keeping up with about 75-80% of my current daily work.

I haven't had that feeling of satisfaction in many years now.

I sincerely hope you find something that helps you.

I do think though that you'll find the FORUM very helpful.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

kattsqueen
03-22-09, 09:28 AM
mctavish i tried to post a reply to you but i lost It somehow. quite new to all of this. thank you so much for your information and caring attitude. Im sorry i lost dont know how to find it if i do will post it for you thanks again.

kattsqueen