View Full Version : Vegetables that keep a long time (fruits too)

anonone
03-18-09, 05:05 PM
What are some vegetables that I can store for a longish time. I don't have time to go to the store very often... in fact, my current schedule consists of a monthly visit to the grocery store. I've got a list of my own going now, but it's mostly just the obvious stuff:

Potatoes
Onions
Apples
End of line...

lol, not much of a list now that it's out there. So does anyone know of any tricks that extend vegitable freshness or a list of long lasting supplies? Thanks.

Wisefolly
03-18-09, 08:05 PM
Squash lasts a while too. :)

Why not keep around some frozen veggies? It isn't good for everything, and I'm sure you'll want the fresh stuff when it is in season, but it is a great way to have veggies around without them going bad before you get the chance to eat them.

I always keep from broccoli and green beans around because they are my favorite. Frozen spinach isn't as good as fresh, but it works just fine in lasagna and casseroles. The trick with frozen veggies is to basically steam them, not boil them. Then they'll taste closer to fresh. ;)

As for keeping fresh veggies... well, fresh... look into crisper bags. I know they were selling them at my local CVS for a while, but I haven't tried them yet. There are also special bowls you can get for your spring greens and salads that are ventilated. Unfortunately, I'm always letting my salads go bad. Keeping them in the veggie drawer is part of the problem... no see = no remember ;) The veggie drawer does make them last longer, but the problem is that if I don't see it, I forget that I have it. You may need to do something similar. Hmmm... idea... I think I'll start keeping a list of what I have in the veggie drawer on the fridge. Give that a try!

blueroo
03-18-09, 09:14 PM
Poo on crisper bags. Go to your local hardware store and buy a bag of play sand. Clean it up and fill a small tub with it. Stick the tub in your refrigerator and you can store many of your vegetables in it. Carrots, beets, celery, and many many more. Sand keeps your vegetables clean, cool, dry, and out of the light.

novagal
03-24-09, 11:16 AM
Some veggies that come to mind that keep longer than others are celery, carrots, cabbage, onions, broccoli, most root vegetables, etc.

Something that dawned on me this weekend that I'd forgotten about - V8 juice! I love that stuff. It's great with a little tabasco and lemon in it too.

This is kinda scary, but my husband bought a couple of non-organic tomatoes from the regular grocery store a few weeks ago. I swear two and a half weeks later they were still firm and plump looking. It just seemed not natural, I don't know how to explain it. It made me wonder what kind of genetic engineering was involved in the making of them.

I've started making these "salads" in a huge mixing bowl that last for a few days - that way they get all eaten because they're right up front in the fridge, and it's so easy to not have to make a salad every day. I use firm veggies (no cucumbers or tomatoes) with beans and nuts - makes a full meal.

My latest favorite concoction is red pepper, shredded carrots, celery, red onion, red cabbage, a bit of sweet corn (frozen but unthawed), diced walnuts, a can of canellini (white kidney beans),a handful of fresh shredded parmasan cheese, fresh chopped flat-leaf parsley, and if there's room in the bowl, I'll add chopped lettuce to top it off. I add the dressing only when I eat it. It keeps pretty well, and I'm getting a lot more fresh vegetables this way because I don't need to prepare it all the time.