View Full Version : OK, anyone carry a PDA?

Seragilo
03-18-09, 10:14 PM
Howdy All!

A couple of months ago I started what I like to call my 'Life Binder'. I separated it into sections to try to help me with my life. I had a weekly planner, menu/grocery lists, reno projects to complete with time line, workout schedule.....The thought was that if I could keep up the old school way (pen and paper) I would save up to purchase an actual PDA.

Time to mingle with the new millennium!

Of course now that I am thinking about getting one I fear losing it...this is why I do not carry a purse! However I am working on that too!

So, if anyone does use one any suggestions? Faves, likes/dislikes?

Thanks!
Seragilo

blueroo
03-19-09, 12:48 AM
These days, you may as well just skip PDAs altogether and get a phone with 3G service. Google phone or iPhone.

wsmac
03-19-09, 01:54 AM
I was given an old pda and it was great!
But then I saw other people's modern pda's and new I needed something better.

I eventually wound up with an iPod Touch.
I didn't get the iPhone because AT&T's service where I live is not that good.
I use Verizon, and looked into everything... blackberries, LG phone/pda's, internet service....

I just decided to stick with my simple cell phone for now and live happily with the Touch.
:D

AbsentMindProf
03-19-09, 12:46 PM
I use a simple PDA made by Palm (Palm pilot I guess). It's obsolete, but it has a nice to-do list feature. You can call up the to-do list with one button push, it lets you sort items, assign a priority to each, and check off the ones you've done.

This made a difference for me -- I found it satisfying to be able to check the items off and that seemed to provide just enough of a fun touch to prompt me to actually keep using it.

I've looked into getting something more modern, like a Blackberry but I'm in the middle of a 2 year contract with Verizon and it seemed that it would cost WAY too much money to get the Blackberry now.

Does the IPod Touch have a to-do list feature? If so, is it good?

blueroo
03-19-09, 09:32 PM
iPod Touch runs all of the same applications that the iPhone does. There are hundreds (thousands?) of them.

penguin
03-20-09, 10:33 AM
You have hit on one of my favorite toys. I used to have a chineese calenday with an alarm. It got old carrying that, a cell, and a camera.
Then I got an HP pda with the phone built in and a lousey camera to boot. T-Mobile was the carrier. Had that for a few years. LOved the music player. Then I got a VX-6700 PDA/Cell/almost good camera carried that for 5 years. Beat to hell but still works. I use Verizon as the carrier because of their coverage in the mountains.
Now I have the Optima by Samsung. Incredible calendar with chimes that persist long enough to realize that I need to check the appointment. Good camera and even an FM Radio. 8 GIG of internal storage so that I can store various med charts, books, etc.
I have tried several paper systems and found only one key element missing. If you do not check the paper calendar constantly, you will be late, miss appointments, and forget to stop at the store. Co-workers used to point at my dayrunner and ask "What are you late for now?"
Enjoy, Toys are wonderful...Ken
PS: It is free after $70 rebate.

sarek
03-20-09, 03:05 PM
I am currently using the Nokia E71 smartphone which essentially has all I need: qwerty keyboard, 3G and network browsing, GPS, planner and some office apps.
Its based on the symbian OS which is much faster and more stable than Windows mobile.
It means lots of 3rd party apps are available

wsmac
03-20-09, 03:08 PM
Reading these posts helped me realize the one thing my iPod Touch does not have that I wish it did... I have a 1st Gen... an audible alarm.

I bought my Touch from Apple as a Refurbished and got a good price on it... maybe I'll have to spring for the 2nd Gen so I can have the speaker... :confused:

Cacho
01-18-10, 06:47 PM
Cell phone w no data plan.... which functions as my pda.

Jay_Blue
01-19-10, 12:44 AM
Could not function without my Blackberry. The extra service fee was a killer at first, but so worth it. I tried the basic PDA for a while, but never carried it with me, I've been on Blackberries since 2006. (Sorry if this post is coming a bit too late...hope it still helps!)

adhdPEteacher
01-19-10, 07:20 AM
I am looking to get a WinMo phone, probably hTC touch, touch2 or like the snap. I have sprint service, and I need something that I can use with my plan (old plan f/f) without the price of my plan going sky high. I am scouring ebay now, hard to find a phone under 100 bucks,even used. I looked at the Moto q9c as well.
I need something to sync up to my outlook, which I try to put everything on, as well as have apps for the weather, and other important things, considering my employment.

I have a traditional planner right now but i am totally gear queer and I feel a smartphone would be great. my phone right now is pretty plain. and I am dealing with it....oops there is that hyperfocus on a new phone coming along I can feel it!!!
haha

innaminute
01-19-10, 09:37 AM
I am looking to get a WinMo phone, probably hTC touch, touch2 or like the snap. I have sprint service, and I need something that I can use with my plan (old plan f/f) without the price of my plan going sky high. I am scouring ebay now, hard to find a phone under 100 bucks,even used. I looked at the Moto q9c as well.
I need something to sync up to my outlook, which I try to put everything on, as well as have apps for the weather, and other important things, considering my employment.

I have a traditional planner right now but i am totally gear queer and I feel a smartphone would be great. my phone right now is pretty plain. and I am dealing with it....oops there is that hyperfocus on a new phone coming along I can feel it!!!
haha

I'm waiting for my HTC Pure to arrive. I am also hyperfocusing on it. :D

I was waiting to save up for an iPhone or an Android phone, but I was able to get the Pure for a good price with my current provider and figured that with all these new innovations lately, there would always be a better phone to buy. And, that these better phones would cost much more than I wanted to spend.

I've been spending my evenings looking at demo videos for the phone, researching apps, and tips and tricks for the phone. Hyperfocus, indeed. :)

Hopefully the phone will be a valuable tool for my life management.

I love gadgets!

justcallmedorie
01-20-10, 05:28 PM
I am currently using the Nokia E71 smartphone which essentially has all I need: qwerty keyboard, 3G and network browsing, GPS, planner and some office apps.
Its based on the symbian OS which is much faster and more stable than Windows mobile.
It means lots of 3rd party apps are available
Late to the party...

I have TWO E71s, seriously. A gray one and a white one. I need to clean up the gray one and sell it (got it first, then decided I absolutely must have the white one). I love love love my E71! Handy Alarm Pro is my must have app. I think it was something like $10 and totally worth it. Much better than the native alarm application. I lost my phone this summer for a while and literally felt like a part of me was missing. Oh yeah, it's THAT good!

Dagwood
07-13-10, 10:14 PM
I have a Blackberry Storm and I love it. I have found two very good options.

1) My Life Organized. I have the professional edition. It's a good clean Windows application that allows me to sync over the Internet between my various computers. The BlackBerry edition with "Cloud Sync" is currently in Beta and looks real good.

2) Remember the Milk. This website is simple, easy and cheap (free). If you upgrade to the pro subscription you can sync with your Smart Phone built in over the air. That's very compelling if you have a Blackberry, Android or iPhone.

I like both of these options because they are easy. The key for me is keeping it simple. If what ever system you use is to complex your going to spend more time thinking about using the system than actually using it. That's why I like the Smartphone path. Syncing to the cloud, either with MLO or RTM or any other system is great since your tasks are available everywhere.