View Full Version : Which medication is most likely causing the dry mouth/throat and what can I do?

netsavy006
03-19-09, 02:17 PM
Here's the medications I'm taking:
------
Topamax 100mg BID
Valium 5mg TID
Cogentin 1mg BID
Abilify 5mg Q AM
Zyprexa 7.5mg HS
Lunesta 3mg PRN
Fish Oils (Omega 3s) 1200mg Q AM
Centrum Multivitamin Q AM
------
My psychiatrist suggested carrying a bottle of water with me, or having tic-tacs or chewing gum. What other strategies could I use to help combat the dry mouth/throat?

(Also I take the medications for Bipolar 1 Disorder: Mixed Type.)

Thanks,
Andy... <!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_327571-->

Ruby85
03-21-09, 04:09 PM
That's quite a cocktail. Are you sure you need all that? Sometimes med combos can cause more problems than they alleviate. I can't see the reason for Lunesta and Valium; seems like one or the other should be sufficient.

As for the dry mouth, it's most likely the Zyprexa. Keep a bottle of water with you at all times. Try to stay away from drinks that dehydrate you, like soda and coffee.

QueensU_girl
03-21-09, 06:30 PM
That is a lot of drugs. Doesnt that stuff give u memory problems or worsen your ADD? even valium or lunesta alone can...

Plus, Valium and Lunesta can worsen emotional problems b/c they wear off and put a person into withdrawal where they 'over feel' their emotions/anxiety.

most of the drugs you list will cause try mouth: Valium, Zyprexa, Topamax, Cogentin, Lunesta.

QueensU_girl
03-21-09, 06:31 PM
Dry mouth can cause tooth loss, as it causes more plaque to be made.

Get more frequent dental cleanings (q 3 months) and see a Periodontist if you can.

indy
03-23-09, 11:28 AM
That is a lot of drugs. Doesnt that stuff give u memory problems or worsen your ADD? even valium or lunesta alone can...

Plus, Valium and Lunesta can worsen emotional problems b/c they wear off and put a person into withdrawal where they 'over feel' their emotions/anxiety.

most of the drugs you list will cause try mouth: Valium, Zyprexa, Topamax, Cogentin, Lunesta.

just to give you another idea of the kind of polypharmacy usually required to treat bipolar I disorder... i take:

lamictal
zoloft
zeldox (geodon)
wellbutrin
ritalin
clonazepam

it's a ****ty illness that requires a lot of medication in some cases, fyi.

gnbeg
04-06-09, 11:37 AM
My medication cocktail is:
- Adderall 25mg
- Lamactil 150mg
- Seroquel 200mg
- Occasional Ambien 12mg

I've really been struggling with dry mouth. Constant swallowing. Just in the last few day, I've tried to keep some liquid around (water most of the time) and keep hydrated. Don't know what else you can do.

chowmix
04-06-09, 10:41 PM
Try finding a glycerin based gel called "Oragel," or some other brand of the same stuff.

My dentist noticed my dry mouth and said water would make things worse, but to try the glycerin products.

They are sold in the toothpaste aisle at my nearby pharmacies. Just a drop on the tongue works.

Or a sugar free hard candy/cough drop.

VanReal
04-06-09, 11:23 PM
I really notice this in the afternoon and water does not help. I don't get dry mouth when only taking my welbutrin but when I add my focalin I am like a fish out of water. I've found sucking on a sugar free hard candy helps when I get really dry but I always keep chugging water and keep chapstick at my desk because my lips feel so dry. This is really a pain and one of the side effects that bothers me most.

gnbeg
04-30-09, 02:47 PM
Update:

Dry mouth is the one side effect that I'm most struggling with. Still constantly salivating and swallowing. Sometimes I can't even swallow.

Here's what I've done that helps. I've bought a gel that helps with dry mouth. Put it on the tongue a few times a day. Bought it a Walgreens. It's called - "OralBalance". Doesn't solve the problem but makes the issue more tolerable. The other thing that I've been doing, lately, is to crunch on crushed ice. Just put a little in you mouth/tonge and let it melt. Helps ALOT!

gnbeg
06-01-09, 07:44 PM
Dry mouth and mouth sores are seriously effecting my quality of life. :(
Hardly a day goes by that I struggle with constant salivating and sucking due to dry mouth. Then there's the sores- OMG, I'm at witts end with these things.

I munch on crushed ice most of the time which helps. Try dry mouth gel that give some but not much relief. Drinking water is no help. I've tried sugar free cough drops. Some help but not much.

I'll try some sugar free gum. But I usually resist gum due to night/day grinding. I do salt water for the sores. I'm trying an oragel antibacterial mouthwash with the hopes it helps with the sores.

It gets better when I take an Adderall holiday. But it doesn't clear up. On top of this, I'm taking generic allergy meds which I'm sure adds to the drying up.

SOMEONE PLEASE tell me that this side effect either goes away or can be controlled!!!

Noesis
06-01-09, 08:46 PM
Dry mouth and mouth sores are seriously effecting my quality of life. :(
Hardly a day goes by that I struggle with constant salivating and sucking due to dry mouth. Then there's the sores- OMG, I'm at witts end with these things.

I munch on crushed ice most of the time which helps. Try dry mouth gel that give some but not much relief. Drinking water is no help. I've tried sugar free cough drops. Some help but not much.

I'll try some sugar free gum. But I usually resist gum due to night/day grinding. I do salt water for the sores. I'm trying an oragel antibacterial mouthwash with the hopes it helps with the sores.

It gets better when I take an Adderall holiday. But it doesn't clear up. On top of this, I'm taking generic allergy meds which I'm sure adds to the drying up.

SOMEONE PLEASE tell me that this side effect either goes away or can be controlled!!!

Hey I get the dry mouth too. It is still bothering me, but, there are a few things that have helped:

If your taking allergy medicine, take something without psuedoephedrine in it. Like, take Clariton rather than Clariton D. Your adderall should take care of the decongestant part, so, dropping the extra will take some dryness away.

Gum should actually help your grinding problem. Because you'll grind into the gum rather than onto your teeth. I chew sugarfree gum when I can... it gives me something to do rather than fidget and prevents the bit of jaw strain I sometimes have. Most of all, it seems to be the only thing that actually helps me salivate.

You have to get the right gum though. Get "Orbit" gum. It seems to last the longest for me. Because with gum, once the flavor runs out, it doesn't seem to make my salivate anymore. The "Orbit" lasts a while. I'm sure there are other good ones to get, but, thats just what I grab. The stick gums like winterfresh and stuff run out of flavor in like 5 minutes and are worthless.

Your taking 25mg of Adderall, which isn't a huge amount, but, maybe its just too much for you. You have enough teeth grinding and biting to have mouth sores and such, so, you probably need to figure something out with the adderall. You might talk to your doctor about trying to reduce the dose and see if that helps.

For at night, get a mouth guard. I don't grind my teeth, but I've heard other people on here recommend that and they say it helps.

Water doesn't seem to really help it much, but its still good to drink lots of water on adderall.

gnbeg
06-02-09, 10:22 AM
Hey I get the dry mouth too. It is still bothering me, but, there are a few things that have helped:

If your taking allergy medicine, take something without psuedoephedrine in it. Like, take Clariton rather than Clariton D. Your adderall should take care of the decongestant part, so, dropping the extra will take some dryness away.

Gum should actually help your grinding problem. Because you'll grind into the gum rather than onto your teeth. I chew sugarfree gum when I can... it gives me something to do rather than fidget and prevents the bit of jaw strain I sometimes have. Most of all, it seems to be the only thing that actually helps me salivate.

You have to get the right gum though. Get "Orbit" gum. It seems to last the longest for me. Because with gum, once the flavor runs out, it doesn't seem to make my salivate anymore. The "Orbit" lasts a while. I'm sure there are other good ones to get, but, thats just what I grab. The stick gums like winterfresh and stuff run out of flavor in like 5 minutes and are worthless.

Your taking 25mg of Adderall, which isn't a huge amount, but, maybe its just too much for you. You have enough teeth grinding and biting to have mouth sores and such, so, you probably need to figure something out with the adderall. You might talk to your doctor about trying to reduce the dose and see if that helps.

For at night, get a mouth guard. I don't grind my teeth, but I've heard other people on here recommend that and they say it helps.

Water doesn't seem to really help it much, but its still good to drink lots of water on adderall.

Thanks Noesis, very helpful post.

I'm taking generic Claritin for allergies.

As for Adderall, I started at 20mg XR, noticed it wear off mid-afternoon. Requested a bump to 30mg and pdoc agreed. But that dosage just seemed a little too much (sometimes short breath, grinding, too wound up, etc) Bumped down to 25mg which has worked well- except for dry mouth. Pdoc has suggested I go with a morning XR followed by small dosage of IR in the afternoon. I am going to request that at my next meeting. Maybe 20mg XR in the morning followed up by a small IR In the afternoon (5mg? 10mg?)? Don't think I'm biting, just think the salivating and sucking is causing the sores.

I'll try the gum and see if that helps. Thanks again.

gnbeg
06-03-09, 04:47 PM

THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU X 100 :D
Gum is extremely helpful! Couldn't get Orbit, but just bough plain old wrigley's gum. My mouth almost feels "normal" and not the dried out-salivating-sucking-sore mouth I've been struggling with for the last 2 months.

I'm hopeful that gum + change in Adderall "dosage" will improve the situation even more. I'm going to discuss with my pdoc going to XR + IR rather than a larger XR dosage.

ToadysFroggy
12-12-09, 10:05 PM
You can buy a gum and the toothpaste and/or mouthwash in the pharmacy called Biotin. It helps you keep your mouth from staying dried out. I keep the gum in my purse and use the toothpaste and mouthwash instead of regular toothpaste and mouthwash before going to sleep at night...I take a lot of meds that dry out my mouth and these seem to help.