View Full Version : Music Production

Contrast
03-20-09, 11:14 AM
Anyone on this forum use any music production software?
I'm currently using Reason4. Took a while for me to get used to it after using an earlier version but i think its great.

FinallyAnswered
03-20-09, 11:18 AM
I'm currently using Reason4. Took a while for me to get used to it after using an earlier version but i think its great.

Heya Contrast....

I use Mixcraft 4 from Acoustica.com. Great program, complete with a 100% writable "virtual instrument" feature that allows you to add almost any instrument to your master recordings.

It's HIGHLY user-friendly and very easy to get the hang of.......there's a free 7 day "no strings attached" (pardon the pun) trial of the full version available at Acoustica.com.

If you like it, I think it's only $64 to purchase. I got the upgrade for free because I owned Mixcraft 3 prior to that.

Feel free to ask any more questions.

Peace!

Contrast
03-20-09, 12:22 PM
I had a little look at it and made a note so I can download and have a shot at it when I can afford a new computer.

What kind of music so you make yourself?
At the moment i've been mixing classical piano with dubstep variations.

FinallyAnswered
03-20-09, 12:33 PM
I had a little look at it and made a note so I can download and have a shot at it when I can afford a new computer.

What kind of music so you make yourself?
At the moment i've been mixing classical piano with dubstep variations.

I do everything with it......I have a audio production company, so I use it to make songs, commercials, voice-overs, narratives, .....you name it.

For myself, I record instrumental rock, blues, and acoustic jazz. I just added a "autotune" plugin to the program to correct pitch problems in my vocal tracks, but I haven't tried it out yet......

Contrast
03-20-09, 12:39 PM
I do everything with it......I have a audio production company, so I use it to make songs, commercials, voice-overs, narratives, .....you name it.

Oh thats really cool, is it a big company? Do you have a website ect...

wsmac
03-20-09, 01:15 PM
I put Reaper on my computer, but haven't had the time to really get into it yet.
I've just checked it out and read up on it some.

I own an old keyboard and a synth from the 80's that I was hoping my daughter would get into.
Figured I could record her and make something of it.

Eh.. maybe this summer.

http://www.reaper.fm/

firstdesserts
03-20-09, 01:29 PM
Finale Guitar. Old and simple to use - like me.

rombow
03-21-09, 11:31 PM
Fl Studio. Simple luvable program. I also got Reason 4, sony acid n sound forge with a yamaha esr keyboard.

Yo, I was wondering, Do yall have any hard time creating music sometimes? I sometime lose my focus, it really **** me off.

wsmac
03-22-09, 05:21 AM
Yo, I was wondering, Do yall have any hard time creating music sometimes? I sometime lose my focus, it really **** me off.

I'm quite often singing new songs in my mind or out loud... not lyrics very often.. just the tunes.

But when I pick up an instrument... I can't seem to translate all that creativity to it.
Lately I've been teaching myself blues slide guitar, and I'm mostly playing around with tunings (3 different open tunings on three different guitars), and patterns.
I'm also trying to use one of the many books I have and the youtube stuff.

I also like taking published songs and changing them around.. I used to do this on fiddle and my wife seemed to not like it..."That's not the way that part is played! It doesn't go like that!".
I was just improvising, but I suppose some folks hear a song one way and don't like changes.

rombow
03-22-09, 08:24 PM
I tho I Was The Only One. I Have The Same Problem. I SOmetimes Change Publishing Songs too.

Hi Scores
03-23-09, 10:29 AM
I spend a lot of time writing and producing music. I love just plugging my guitar into my computer and turning knobs, messing around with effects and drum programming. I use Reason 4 re-wired into Ableton Live, they make a great combination. Ableton is so good for writing music, you can record everything piece-by-piece and then stitch it together however you like.

I can't stand this. My songs usually have really intricate and interesting beginnings but then they just die out and I never finish them.

We should post songs that we've recorded, that could be some motivation to finish.

sarek
03-23-09, 10:43 AM
I use the modular softsynth Buzz!. You would not believe what you can do with it. And a host of sequencer proggies too.

rombow
03-23-09, 05:17 PM
I spend a lot of time writing and producing music. I love just plugging my guitar into my computer and turning knobs, messing around with effects and drum programming. I use Reason 4 re-wired into Ableton Live, they make a great combination. Ableton is so good for writing music, you can record everything piece-by-piece and then stitch it together however you like.

I can't stand this. My songs usually have really intricate and interesting beginnings but then they just die out and I never finish them.

We should post songs that we've recorded, that could be some motivation to finish.

Yea we should. but I got something that i use to motivate me sometimes. Videos from Mysto n Pizzo here's one of them

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HQwty8RKHBk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

I use the modular softsynth Buzz!. You would not believe what you can do with it. And a host of sequencer proggies too.

^ I never heard of modular softsynth Buzz. Is it a hardware or software?

Hi Scores
03-23-09, 10:51 PM
^softsynth as in software synth

I remember trying to use Buzz a few years ago when I first got into electronic music. It was a mystery to me then, but I think I could probably get some use out of it now.

rombow
03-25-09, 04:37 PM
Cool, Im dling as we speak. I also make electro type of music. Well I make electro pop.

FinallyAnswered
03-25-09, 05:41 PM

Will do......here's one of mine. BTW, Garageband.com will host your original music for free.

http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?|pe1|WdjZPXLrvP2rYVK0ZG9kAA (http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?%7Cpe1%7CWdjZPXLrvP2rYVK0ZG9kAA)

rombow
03-26-09, 10:15 PM
C00l, I like the string melody, and the organ. i want to know how can you keep your attention that long lol? did u do that song in like one hour or it took time?

firstdesserts
03-27-09, 12:43 AM
Will do......here's one of mine. BTW, Garageband.com will host your original music for free.
http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?|pe1|WdjZPXLrvP2rYVK0ZG9kAA

I'm obviously doing something wrong - it won't play!

FinallyAnswered
03-27-09, 06:26 AM
I'm obviously doing something wrong - it won't play!

That's strange, FD.....I just clicked on the "quoted" link in your post and it came right up and played. Are you on dial-up or broadband? If it's dial-up, it'll take a long time to buffer.

FinallyAnswered
03-27-09, 06:32 AM
C00l, I like the string melody, and the organ. i want to know how can you keep your attention that long lol? did u do that song in like one hour or it took time?

Rom....it took about a day to get the entire song down, but then I would continue to tweak it over the next few days to get it to where I was content with the finished product. It takes a bit longer because I am recording every instrument part track by track......so even though it sounds like a band, it's just me.

Here's another one of mine called....appropriately enough, "My Beautiful Mess".....lol

http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSgZFG3Zms (http://www.garageband.com/mp3player?%7Cpe1%7CS8LTM0LdsaSgZFG3Zms)

rombow
03-29-09, 07:10 PM
Cool Song. Sorry that it took me a while to answer. I have horrible attention.

I like how the beat builds up. I was expecting snare n kick. I wasnt expecting those percussion. C00lz0rtz.

Do you write lyrics? You should write too it. Some Lyrics came to me hard like,
"My Beautiful Mess is the one to be with"
"No Luv can conquer--/ The Way it been" etc.

C00l song.

FinallyAnswered
03-29-09, 07:39 PM
Cool Song. Sorry that it took me a while to answer. I have horrible attention.

I like how the beat builds up. I was expecting snare n kick. I wasnt expecting those percussion. C00lz0rtz.

Do you write lyrics? You should write too it. Some Lyrics came to me hard like,
"My Beautiful Mess is the one to be with"
"No Luv can conquer--/ The Way it been" etc.

C00l song.

I do write lyrics and sing..(well, a reasonable facsimile...lol). As a matter of fact, I'm putting the finishing touches on "The ADD Blues", something I hope everyone will get a chuckle out of......should be posted in the next few days if I don't procrastinate further....:D

firstdesserts
03-29-09, 11:41 PM
That's strange, FD.....I just clicked on the "quoted" link in your post and it came right up and played. Are you on dial-up or broadband? If it's dial-up, it'll take a long time to buffer.

I have broadband. I somehow downloaded the mp3 "My Beautiful Mess." I am listening to it as I type.

firstdesserts
04-08-09, 04:41 PM
Feel free to ask any more questions.
Peace!

I have Finale Guitar 2003. Recently I have begun making "performance trax." They are something like karaoke/sing along but it is just digitally recorded accompaniment music. The whole world of composing and arranging music suddenly opened up to me (strictly novice at this point)! I was wondering if you would mind advising me about what I can do with this.

Mostly right now I am writing arrangements of existing songs to be TABulated into acoustic guitar solos. But lately - don't know why - Adderall maybe - I hear music in my head all the time! It isn't just getting something random stuck like it used to be but origional stuff - and it is really driving me crazy 'til I can get it written and/or recorded (classical, country, acoustic guitar, technica, pop:o...)!!!

Please keep in mind I am out of work and attempting to lift myself out of a major-monumental-clinical depression. This stuff gets me jazzed up!

madelefant
04-08-09, 07:17 PM
Logic Audio/apple

FinallyAnswered
04-08-09, 07:20 PM
I have Finale Guitar 2003. Recently I have begun making "performance trax." They are something like karaoke/sing along but it is just digitally recorded accompaniment music. The whole world of composing and arranging music suddenly opened up to me (strictly novice at this point)! I was wondering if you would mind advising me about what I can do with this.

Mostly right now I am writing arrangements of existing songs to be TABulated into acoustic guitar solos. But lately - don't know why - Adderall maybe - I hear music in my head all the time! It isn't just getting something random stuck like it used to be but origional stuff - and it is really driving me crazy 'til I can get it written and/or recorded (classical, country, acoustic guitar, technica, pop:o...)!!!

Please keep in mind I am out of work and attempting to lift myself out of a major-monumental-clinical depression. This stuff gets me jazzed up!

Heya FD.....glad you found something that fuels the fire! Now please understand that I am not familiar with Guitar Finale, so any advice I can give would be only be on Mixcraft 3 or 4.

Are you musically literate? If so, then Mixcraft 4 is perfect for that application. You can program note by note, measure by measure ANY instrument in the Mixcraft library (there are HUNDREDS!) to customize your music tracks any way you want it. The number of tracks is unlimited and you can literally write an entire orchestral score and it will sound like a symphony during playback.

I would suggest going to Acoustica.com and downloading "Mixcraft 4". You'll get the full version for a free 7-day trial, which will allow you enough time to get a good feel for its capabilities. It is very easy to use, especially if you have experience with like-programs.

I just added a "auto-tune" plugin to the program which I haven't tested yet. This will correct my off-key singing and make it pitch-perfect....lol.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll help any way I can....

Peace!

Impromptu_DTour
07-03-09, 03:12 AM
I started out in FL, and have been using Reason for 4 or 5 years now.. do my editing in SF 8 or 9 (9 at work, 8 at home.. though i have to redo my computer), ive used Ableton and Love it in conjunction with Reason.. such a powerful combination, especially with midi. I have some experience with Waves processing packages..

Gah.. Music. ;) What a connection to the soul that my Brain will never understand ;)