View Full Version : Do I have to see my Doctor every month to get a Prescription?

BushidoSamurai
03-21-09, 02:39 PM
Hey everyone, I am recently diagnosed. So I am not really understanding the process of treatment.

My psychiatrist charges about $200 a session. he wants to see me every week, but I think its too expensive. he said he'd be ok with every month. I'm sure he says he says this to all his patients. His philosophy is that the mind needs mental therapheutic workouts weekly.

I feel that the adderall is working great for the past 3 months and I don't really need theraphy every month. Maybe every two or three months when I feel like I have issues I want to talk about.

My question: Adderall can only be prescribed at a months supply at a time? So does that mean I have to pay for the doctors visit plus the cost of prescription? Are doctors allowed to prescribe a supply for more than a month? I just don't feel like I need theraphy every month and pay that much money every month to see him.

FinallyAnswered
03-21-09, 02:51 PM
My question: Adderall can only be prescribed at a months supply at a time? So does that mean I have to pay for the doctors visit plus the cost of prescription? Are doctors allowed to prescribe a supply for more than a month? I just don't feel like I need theraphy every month and pay that much money every month to see him.

Heya Bushido...

I would have a talk with him and tell him your concerns about the financial impact of having to see him on a monthly basis. Most Doctors only require you to see them every few months for an evaluation, but in between refill the scripts on a monthly basis at no charge. Sched II Stimulants cannot be prescribed for more than a 30 day supply at a time.

If therapy is something you cannot afford but something he truly believes you need, perhaps you can arrange to see him every two months for a half session.

Just a suggestion......

CrystalShiloh
03-21-09, 02:51 PM
My question: Adderall can only be prescribed at a months supply at a time?

Yes, you got that right.

So does that mean I have to pay for the doctors visit plus the cost of prescription?

Yes, you have to pay for your psychiatrist's time as well as for your prescriptions.

Are doctors allowed to prescribe a supply for more than a month?

No, not controlled substances. Stimulants are considered controlled substances in the States.

I just don't feel like I need theraphy every month and pay that much money every month to see him.

I suggest that you ask your psychiatrist to prescribe a non-stimulant, such as Stattera or Wellbutrin for the treatment of your AD/HD.

Ruby85
03-21-09, 03:24 PM
I wouldn't recommend switching medications just to lower costs. You can, however, switch doctors to lower costs. Most psychiatrists do not charge $200 per office visit. Shop around, you'll find docs who charge as little as $90 per visit.

I assume you don't have health insurance? If you do, find a doctor who is in your network. If you don't, find a doc who costs less and does not insist on monthly visits. Plenty of docs will simply refill your prescription every month, once you find a medication that is working for you. You just have to call the office for a prescription refill. Then you'll only pay for the actual medication when you pick it up at the pharmacy.

scarygreengiant
03-21-09, 03:55 PM
Hey everyone, I am recently diagnosed. So I am not really understanding the process of treatment.

My psychiatrist charges about $200 a session. he wants to see me every week, but I think its too expensive. he said he'd be ok with every month. I'm sure he says he says this to all his patients. His philosophy is that the mind needs mental therapheutic workouts weekly.

I feel that the adderall is working great for the past 3 months and I don't really need theraphy every month. Maybe every two or three months when I feel like I have issues I want to talk about.

When I first started seeing my psychiatrist he made a two week follow up appointment to see how the meds were working and after that follow up appointment he decided that seeing him three months later would be fine. He later referred me to a therapist when it became obvious that I was depressed.

I think it's common to have more frequent appointments in the beginning to make sure the meds are working properly and once they see you're okay then they'll probably just want to see you every two or three months. For a controlled substance three months is the longest you can go.

scarygreengiant
03-21-09, 03:56 PM
I wouldn't recommend switching medications just to lower costs. You can, however, switch doctors to lower costs. Most psychiatrists do not charge $200 per office visit. Shop around, you'll find docs who charge as little as $90 per visit.

I assume you don't have health insurance? If you do, find a doctor who is in your network. If you don't, find a doc who costs less and does not insist on monthly visits. Plenty of docs will simply refill your prescription every month, once you find a medication that is working for you. You just have to call the office for a prescription refill. Then you'll only pay for the actual medication when you pick it up at the pharmacy.

I agree. $200 is expensive. Is that for an hour or half an hour? $200 is okay for an hour long appt but if that's the rate for just a 20-30 minute med check that is way too expensive.

luvlife
03-21-09, 04:30 PM
i probably shouldn't be telling this, but to avoid going to see my dr every month(no insurance) she gives me 2 separate prescriptions.

scarygreengiant
03-21-09, 04:38 PM
Don't worry. That's perfectly legal. :)

JWhitt
03-21-09, 05:05 PM
It all depends on the Doc. I can give mine a call, he'll write me a scrip but he wants to see me every 2 or 3 months just to check up.

scarygreengiant
03-21-09, 05:27 PM
Oops. I forgot to quote. I was responding to luvlife in my most recent post.

CDRacingZX6R
03-21-09, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure about how it works here in California, but I have Kaiser. It seems that because everything including prescriptions are done in house, I simply need to call him for the prescription.

I just started Adderall XR, and I'm playing with the dosage per his instructions. And he said If I ended up getting up to 40, I'd run out far before my next appointment and simply to call him and he'd order more.

Not sure about how this will work long time.

Only1Jomo
03-21-09, 06:36 PM
My psych says I have to come in once a month to get my perscription, discuss how they are working and anything else I may want to discuss. I have a therapist that he knows about so and he is cool with that. With the stigma that goes with these meds I dont mind seeing him every month but then I also have insurance so my visits are only $20.00, my meds are $10.00 and my therapist doesn't charge me the co-pay because she knows my situation and I've referred a ton of patients to her. I consider myself very blessed.

QueensU_girl
03-21-09, 06:37 PM
Get a new doctor?

gnbeg
03-21-09, 08:01 PM
Had the same question, re: always monthly prescription for Adderall? I've been able to call my pdoc for a refill prescription. But I also visit him monthly.

But, dang, weekly? Unless he has some specific reason for seeing you every week, I'd talk that over with him.

BushidoSamurai
03-22-09, 05:08 AM
Thanks everyone...thats clears up all my question. I see what the standard is.

ecu20
03-22-09, 05:32 AM
Thanks everyone...thats clears up all my question. I see what the standard is.

the maximum allowable amount (at least in NC) to prescribe is 3 months at a time for schedule II (2) substances.

I am sitting on 3 months of scripts for my dex/adderall right now after a recent appointment with my doc. Some may feel more comfortable seeing you every week/month, then the longer they know you they will extend their script writing times.

It's all about preference, since the 3 month advanced writing prescriptions for scheudle II's is a MAXIMUM amount, not a minimum.