View Full Version : Don't give up on Desoxyn right away

merovingian
03-26-09, 07:39 PM
I recently received a prescription from my doctor for Desoxyn after simply asking for it after being on adderall for a month. My problems with Adderall had to do with increased anxiety at only low dosages (10mg twice daily) and I didn't want to have to be an some sort of benzo to mitigate the anxiety at higher dosages. So, I did my homework which led me to suggest to my doc that I try "the holy grail" of ADD medications and he agreed to give it a shot. I asked for the lowest available dosage to try it out at 5mg twice a day.

Usually when I try any sort of drug I start low and work my way up, for adderall for example I started with 1/4 a 10mg pill twice per day, then 1/2 the next and 3/4 on the third. Since I had read online that kids usually take between 20-25 daily that I was safe to try the whole 5mg on my first try. I experienced an unforced focus (as opposed to the forced focus of adderall) that was available to me as I tried to catch my flight on time. I got on the plane and I simply relaxed and dosed off. I had strange vivid dreams that would occasionally wake me up and cause a mild jerk or muscle tencing and then relax back to sleep. When waking after what seemed like a 2 hour nap which only lasted 45 min I was immediately alert and able to focus on the things that I planned to do while on the plane. As opposed to Adderall, the Desoxyn required more Discipline to remain focused but I was able to utilize the creativity that makes my Attention Deficit Condition such a gift in terms of being able to think outside the box. I would say that Adderall is certainly better for making completely mundane, boring, or repetitive tasks seem almost interesting but seems to detract from my creativity. Being on the Desoxyn during this period was much more productive for me over all. It's not that I was as focused at this light of a dose but as if time were dilated, as if the flight lasted 9 hours instead of 6 which can be either good or bad depending on the situation, I needed the extra time to get things done so it worked out. Sadly, I had a mild headache, one of the known side effects for some patients. This combined with the initial sleepy effect, the fact that I felt like my eyes were constantly too wide open, dry mouth and slightly too chatty brought me to the seemingly inevitable conclusion. What would be the perfect drug for me was to come with a series of side effects that would cripple any net benefit at a dosage high enough for me to rectify my issues with being able to focus. Despite the initial disappointment I decided to try again the next day at 1/4 a 5mg pill every hour for 4 hours until I felt side effects. Surprisingly only two side effects took a strong effect, complete loss of appetite and lack of desire to drink alcohol. The following day I took 1/2 of a 5mg pill right before I started eating breakfast and another half 2 hours later. 6 hours after the first pill I took a whole 5mg pill right as I started eating lunch. No side effects besides the loss of appetite and lack of desire to drink. I've been going strong for a week and things are working out very nicely. I'm about currently asking my doctor to start ramping up my dose to normal which I believe is 20-25mg per day increase from 10mg at a rate of 5mg per week.

The lesson I learned here is to ramp up to 5mg over the course of a few days and ask your doctor to allow you to ramp up your dosages to "normal" on a weekly basis in 5mg increments. I believe had I done this, it may have helped reduce the chances of side effects on the way up to a dosage that is able to deal with my condition. Hope this helps.

PhishHead
04-06-09, 05:30 PM
nice post. I liked it a lot and am very sensative to stims as well. I got a weird side effect of my testicles hanging real low and almost painfully on the left. Stopped but other than that major side effect was the est of all stims

currently getting OCD and depression/anxiety under control then going back to focus on add. Might give desoxyn another shot

merovingian
04-07-09, 06:13 AM
nice post. I liked it a lot and am very sensative to stims as well. I got a weird side effect of my testicles hanging real low and almost painfully on the left. Stopped but other than that major side effect was the est of all stims
Thank you! :) May I ask what dosage you were on and how long you took it before you stopped the treatment? Everyone is different it seems when it comes to which side-effects happen with which drug, I just found a slow introduction of the Desoxyn allowed my body to transition smoothly to the medication. I would be interested to see if your second shot at it yields a different result if you also take the extra slow approach.

PhishHead
04-13-09, 10:49 AM
I was taking 5 a day twice a day right off the bat. did it for a week straight before stopping.

tried 2.5with 2.5 of focalin about 2 months later. Same scrotal pain.

Now on 30 mg of cymbalta, 15 of buspar and its 2 more months later. had success last week mixing some old dextrostat with focalin. Like 1.25 dex 2.5 focalin at 2 hour intervals. No side effects.

about to try 1.25 desoxyn 1 mg of dextrostat(last known bottle) and about 2.5 focalin. will report back

Also, desoxyn made it harder to ejaculate as well at 5 mg and I suspect that is from the seratonin effects

merovingian
04-28-09, 01:34 PM
I was taking 5 a day twice a day right off the bat. did it for a week straight before stopping.

tried 2.5with 2.5 of focalin about 2 months later. Same scrotal pain.

Now on 30 mg of cymbalta, 15 of buspar and its 2 more months later. had success last week mixing some old dextrostat with focalin. Like 1.25 dex 2.5 focalin at 2 hour intervals. No side effects.

about to try 1.25 desoxyn 1 mg of dextrostat(last known bottle) and about 2.5 focalin. will report back

Also, desoxyn made it harder to ejaculate as well at 5 mg and I suspect that is from the seratonin effects
Wow, some interesting combo's there.

I would agree about the Desoxyn making it more difficult to ejaculate however the sex seems more stimulating, probably worth the trade IMO.

I can say that the apatite suppression is minimal after about a month for me and I really don't experience any other negative side effects at 30mg daily but I suppose everyone is different.

I'm interested to see how your latest combo works out, I certainly haven't dabbled in mixing my ADD meds but I can see how a cocktail could be more beneficial and efficient. I wonder if there should be any concern about mixing meds as I imagaine few research studies have been done on these various mixtures.

Yellow
05-19-09, 12:24 AM
do any of you, or do any of oyu know anyone on desoxyn who also is treated with an SNRI or SSRI?

PhishHead
07-28-09, 04:18 PM
I am currently on the SNRI cymbalta. Was on 30 mg/day with 30mg at 10mg 3 times per daybuspar per day for about three months buspar 6 months cymbalta

I started to feel apathetic, unmotivated, and my short term memory was going to crap(especially after adding a few bong rips to the cocktail)

I stopped the buspar. Backed down the Cymbalta to 20mg. Then OH SO slowly added in the desoxyn and a little dextrostat. Was taking 1.25 desoxyn 1.25 dex but then moved to 2.5 desoxyn and stayed with 1.25 dex AS NEEDED.

Taking desoxyn back in november at starting dose of 5 mg my left testicle immediately sunk 4 hours in and was PAINFUL. Funny thing is buspar did the same thing. But I backed way back on the dosage of that and stuck it out and worked it in until I was stable on it. THat is was led me to believe I could do it with desoxyn.

Dextrostat has an interesting side effect of doing the oppposite and tightening up my sroctum. It allows me to focus un the mundane as the original OP said he experienced with adderall. part of the reason I was taking that with the desoxyn was to combat the testicle side effect and it worked!

The desoxyn cymbalta combo is great(I take the cymbalata at bed time now). Desoxyn not only helps with focus but also with my desire and drive to start and complete tasks and just feel good doing things and moving through my day....but doesnt drive me into and OCD hyperfocused state like high dosages of dex do. If I have a lot of administrative type of work to complete I'll through a little dex in the mix.

I have recently read about " consequential aytypical add depression ". I really think THAT is what I have and a little OCD which also probably stems from the ADD.

THANK YOU ORIGINAL POSTER. I think I am finally on the correct track. Fingers are crossed and 2.5 weeks in and back on a stimulant

tanqueray
05-08-10, 04:10 AM
woa that post is awesome. so you didn't have to ask for other drugs like strattera which seems pointless or focalin?

what about desoxyn with benzodiazepines. for that kind of focus maybe people might get anxious and take too much. why did you get a headache and did the headaches go away later?

mattyg
05-08-10, 08:55 PM
Just reading some of these posts....I am truly alarmed....Mixing different medications, creating chemical cocktails without the consultation of a health care professional, just throwing in a bit of this and a bit of that.....This is really stupid.
It sounds like to me some of these people in this post are taking and mixing these drugs for reasons other than therapeutic reasons...Playing with fire..Desoxyn is just about the most powerful CNS drug there is...Its legal METH. Why in the hell would you need to take other CNS drugs on top or along side of this...Sound like you guys are in search of the perfect buzz. Designer cocktail drug users. Self Medication only leads to bigger problems...
Im very concerned...

ToneTone
05-09-10, 03:33 AM
Mattyg,

People write on this forum as if they are giving themselves their own prescriptions. What people mean in most cases is that their doctor has prescribed medicine a, b & c in combination.

Polypharmacy is the name for taking multiple medications. ADHD typically comes with other brain problems, so there is a lot of mixing medicines and trial and error involved. But again, I think it's the language here.

I talk like this also "I upped from wellbutrin" when what I really mean is that my psychiatrist, in consultation with me, maybe at my request, upped the dosage.

dbellca82
08-26-10, 06:48 PM

currently getting OCD and depression/anxiety under control then going back to focus on add. Might give desoxyn another shot
dexedrine brought out OCD in me something terrible. i didnt even know i had such tendancies, but dexedrine ....whew it turned it on ten-fold forcing me to obessess over everthing.

twinch42085
08-30-10, 03:32 PM
I asked my doctor at my last visit if I could try desoxyn and he told me to let him think about it? I understood where he was coming from considering desoxyn and its stigma.

The first time that I asked to try amphetamines was over 2 years ago and he told me to let him think about it. I gave him 3 months and then asked him again and he started me on Adderall XR 10mg.

I honestly cannot stand the side effects of Adderall XR 20mg, which is my current dosage. I have to take Xanax 1mg 3x/day to adhere to the anxiety effects of the medication.

I hoping that my doctor will consider letting me try desoxyn because of this reason so that I may stop taking the xanax. I think it is a good switch. change one medicine for another while stopping another?

I also take 15mg of Dexedrine too. I could stop taking this medicine as well. But what I think is good for me may not be. I will leave the decision for my doctor to make.

PhishHead
08-31-10, 02:54 AM
Stop either the dex or the adderall and the anxiety should decrease a ton

Desoxyn is goo tho. Mixing these stims can produce wacky results so be careful. Desoxyn and dex will keep you UPPP