View Full Version : Is it bad for your health?

davito
03-26-09, 08:26 PM
Do you guys know if sleep deprivation is bad for your health or heart?

I am asking this because I am about to finish my bachelor and I want to get into medical school, but I need to improve on my GPA. Before, I wanted to give up my dream and go to grad school. But, some people encourage me to try harder. If I try harder that means I will have to sleep very little every day like 5 hours or less or even none some days and be dependable from higher dosage of stimulants, caffeine and all nighter. That would increase stress, mental issues, and heart complications I believe.

What you guys think? Have you guys done somthing similar during school? have you had any health complication due to this?

Thanks!!

Tylerlee17
03-26-09, 09:02 PM
I do that junk now, yeah it sucks i'm constantly exhausted and stuff. Bad thing about it is i'm doing that and im only an undergrad though i'm close to getting my first degree. Anyway I look at it like this, college is probably the most intensive time in your life in terms of demand on your part (assuming you work full time also), so worry about the easier life later on, and the long term effects - deal with the hard crap now. That attitudes served me well for quite a few years.

stillfightin
03-26-09, 09:05 PM
Do you guys know if sleep deprivation is bad for your health or heart?

I am asking this because I am about to finish my bachelor and I want to get into medical school, but I need to improve on my GPA. Before, I wanted to give up my dream and go to grad school. But, some people encourage me to try harder. If I try harder that means I will have to sleep very little every day like 5 hours or less or even none some days and be dependable from higher dosage of stimulants, caffeine and all nighter. That would increase stress, mental issues, and heart complications I believe.

What you guys think? Have you guys done somthing similar during school? have you had any health complication due to this?

Thanks!!

Of course it's bad - While you sleep, your body release many hormones and rebuilds itself. 5 to 6 hours is still good... Anything less and you are pushin it.

novagal
03-26-09, 09:24 PM
Yes it's bad for you. Google sleep deprivation, plenty of info out there. Also it's likely your adhd meds won't be as effective without enough sleep.

In extended periods of not enough sleep I've experienced depression, lowered immune system, even mild hallucinations, and off the charts stress which in turn made me unable to get enough sleep. It's a tough cycle to turn around.

davito
03-26-09, 09:34 PM
I do that junk now, yeah it sucks i'm constantly exhausted and stuff. Bad thing about it is i'm doing that and im only an undergrad though i'm close to getting my first degree. Anyway I look at it like this, college is probably the most intensive time in your life in terms of demand on your part (assuming you work full time also), so worry about the easier life later on, and the long term effects - deal with the hard crap now. That attitudes served me well for quite a few years.

Jaja, yea I was having the same thinking. What are you studing? But, Have you realize that when you sleep few hours your medication does not work that well? so it kindda compensate between sleeping and not sleeping dont you think?

Tylerlee17
03-27-09, 12:59 AM
I'm at the University of Georgia, going for a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Hopefully if my GPA is high enough after that I'll apply to a pharmacy school, ANY of them b/c that field is hard as @#%#@ to get into but it's not looking like that final plan's going to work out right now considering I have a 2.8 ... Either way I'll still get my Safety net degree and if I so choose I could pursue a Masters in it.

Yeah of course when I don't get enough sleep it doesn't work as well but to put it bluntly that's life and being in college we probably get less sleep than anyone (minus mothers/fathers of newborn babies). Life's tough, unfair, and hard, especially for people who have ADHD or other mental illnesses. Not to get off on a tangent but I honestly thing the future isn't looking to be any easier either, which is why I really don't plan to have kids - I don't want them to face the same crazy challenges and poo life's flung in my face - but that's my own personal opinion and choice.

Only1Jomo
03-27-09, 06:06 AM
Yes it is bad for your health, your heart and your psychie. I copied this from sleep-deprivation.com...see for your self.....
The Effects of Sleep Deprivation

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--//<![CDATA[ var m3_u = (location.protocol=='https:'?'https://m4.morefocus.com/max/www/delivery/ajs.php':'http://m4.morefocus.com/max/www/delivery/ajs.php'); var m3_r = Math.floor(Math.random()*99999999999); if (!document.MAX_used) document.MAX_used = ','; document.write ("<scr"+"ipt type='text/javascript' src='"+m3_u); document.write ("?zoneid=154&source="); document.write ('&cb=' + m3_r); if (document.MAX_used != ',') document.write ("&exclude=" + document.MAX_used); document.write ("&loc=" + escape(window.location)); if (document.referrer) document.write ("&referer=" + escape(document.referrer)); if (document.context) document.write ("&context=" + escape(document.context)); if (document.context) document.write ("&context=" + escape(document.context)); if (document.mmm_fo) document.write ("&mmm_fo=1"); document.write ("'></scr"+"ipt>");//]]>-->***********<SCRIPT src="http://m4.morefocus.com/max/www/delivery/ajs.php?zoneid=154&source=&cb=41589994950&loc=http%3A//www.sleep-deprivation.com/articles/effects-of-sleep-deprivation/&referer=http%3A//www.google.com/search%3Fhl%3Den%26q%3Dsleep+deprivation+effects%2 6aq%3D2%26oq%3Dsleep+d" type=text/javascript>***********<OBJECT id=Advertisement height=250 width=300 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

</OBJECT>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript><!--// <![CDATA[var ox_swf = new FlashObject('http://m4.morefocus.com/max/www/images/yahoo_300x250.swf', 'Advertisement', '300', '250', '8');ox_swf.addVariable('clickTARGET', '_blank');ox_swf.addVariable('clickTAG', 'http%3A%2F%2Fm4.morefocus.com%2Fmax%2Fwww%2Fdeliv ery%2Fck.php%3Fmaxparams%3D2__bannerid%3D216__zone id%3D154__cb%3Dc1d97732db');ox_swf.addParam('allow ScriptAccess','always');ox_swf.write('ox_5a4429f5d 3c03aee445b7fe593f9ff59');// ]]> -->***********http://m4.morefocus.com/max/www/delivery/lg.php?bannerid=216&campaignid=50&zoneid=154&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sleep-deprivation.com%2Farticles%2Feffects-of-sleep-deprivation%2F&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fhl% 3Den%26q%3Dsleep+deprivation+effects%26aq%3D2%26oq %3Dsleep+d&cb=c1d97732db

Sleep deprivation can have serious effects on your health in the form of physical and mental impairments. Inadequate rest impairs our ability to think, to handle stress, to maintain a healthy immune system (http://www.sleep-deprivation.com/websearch/search-results.php?query=healthy+immune+systems&pg=effects-of-sleep-deprivation.php&type=inline) and to moderate our emotions. In fact, sleep is so important to our overall health that total sleep deprivation has been proven to be fatal: lab rats denied the chance to rest die within two to three weeks. Find out more from this Free Guide (http://www.clickonhealth.com/healthguides/sleep.php?vendor_hash=522ef2dd44219f31681e5cce98a1 d844481b57337a10f&provider_code=MFH) to sleep disorders.

Without adequate rest, the brain's ability to function quickly deteriorates. The brain works harder to counteract sleep deprivation effects, but operates less effectively: concentration levels drop, and memory becomes impaired.
Similarly, the brain's ability to problem solve is greatly impaired. Decision-making abilities are compromised, and the brain falls into rigid thought patterns that make it difficult to generate new problem-solving ideas. Insufficient rest can also cause people to have hallucinations. Other typical effects of sleep deprivation include:

depression
heart disease
hypertension
irritability
slower reaction times
slurred speech
tremors.
In this section, we will outline and examine the various effects of sleep deprivation. Our articles will describe how prolonged lack of sleep affects both mental and physical health.

Sleep & Aging

The older we get, the more likely it is that we will suffer from some kind of sleep disorder. In fact, over 50 percent of people over 64 years old suffer from some type of sleep disorder. While the hormonal and physical changes that occur as we age will likely affect sleep, especially in menopausal women, the increased presence of other medical conditions and disorders is also a factor that tends to upset the sleep of the elderly.

One of the biggest sleeping problems the elderly experience is the inability to get deep, restorative sleep. Although they tend to sleep just as much as they did when they were younger, the elderly don’t get as quality sleep, meaning that they often suffer from fatigue and daytime drowsiness. The main reason for this is because older people don’t get as much REM sleep, the deepest, most restorative sleep phase. Keep reading to learn more about the relationship between sleep and aging (http://www.sleep-deprivation.com/articles/effects-of-sleep-deprivation/sleep-and-aging.php).
Weight Changes

Dramatic weight changes, especially weight gain, are also common effects of sleep deprivation. Because the amount and quality of the sleep we get affects our hormone levels, namely our levels of leptin and ghrelin, many physiological processes that depend on these hormone levels to function properly, including appetite, are affected by our sleep.

While leptin is a hormone that affects our feelings of fullness and satisfaction after a meal, ghrelin is the hormone that stimulates our appetites. When you suffer from sleep deprivation, your body’s levels of leptin fall while ghrelin levels increase. This means that you end up feeling hungrier without really feeling satisfied by what you eat, causing you to eat more and, consequently, gain weight. Keep reading to learn more about how sleep affects your weight (http://www.sleep-deprivation.com/articles/effects-of-sleep-deprivation/weight.php).

davito
03-27-09, 02:11 PM
I'm at the University of Georgia, going for a BS in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology. Hopefully if my GPA is high enough after that I'll apply to a pharmacy school, ANY of them b/c that field is hard as @#%#@ to get into but it's not looking like that final plan's going to work out right now considering I have a 2.8 ... Either way I'll still get my Safety net degree and if I so choose I could pursue a Masters in it.

Yeah of course when I don't get enough sleep it doesn't work as well but to put it bluntly that's life and being in college we probably get less sleep than anyone (minus mothers/fathers of newborn babies). Life's tough, unfair, and hard, especially for people who have ADHD or other mental illnesses. Not to get off on a tangent but I honestly thing the future isn't looking to be any easier either, which is why I really don't plan to have kids - I don't want them to face the same crazy challenges and poo life's flung in my face - but that's my own personal opinion and choice.

Yea, I think the same. Sometime I just want to drop out of school and live in the street or in the woods. I am very dependable from this medications and thats the bad part of it, because thats not a long term treatment for adhd.

Thanks

davito
03-27-09, 02:16 PM

Man, I think you are doing very good and you will qualify for pharmacy. You are going to University of Georgia which is a hard school.

davito
03-27-09, 03:25 PM
How many hours are you sleeping every day Tylerlee17? But have you notice that when you dont sleep a decent amount of hours your medications doesnt work the way it should?

Seragilo
03-27-09, 04:07 PM
Howdy!

Guess what?

Without sleep you die....plain and simple.

Also, a person who is sleep deprived is comparable to a drunken fool.

Hope that helps sum it up.
Seragilo

davito
03-27-09, 07:15 PM
Howdy!

Guess what?

Without sleep you die....plain and simple.

Also, a person who is sleep deprived is comparable to a drunken fool.

Hope that helps sum it up.
Seragilo

But, you die of what? Show me the link if it is possible? The other day I was reading in the guiness record book of this guy that didnt sleep for 12 days.

RedSkittles
03-27-09, 07:31 PM
you can eather die of exhaustion or lack of REM. This is why sometimes if you only sleep like, 2 hours, the next night if you get more sleep you are more likely to have a dream (which happens in REM). Also, after a while you start to get holusinations (please exuse my spelling) and a way higher risk of alzhimers due to abnormal insuline levels. anouther thing you are probably familir with is change in mood. Along with this, your optimal coganitive performance is at stake.

Tylerlee17
03-30-09, 02:10 AM
I dunno I mean my college life has been kind of like a rollercoaster, which to be honest at times bugs the **** out of me and other times is kind of fun. If you're one of those people who can't stand not feeling 'stable' every day best advice I can give you is exercise and preferably cardiovascular like 30 min every day. That always made a load of difference, 5 hours of sleep when I was on a good running routine felt like 8 hours of sleep not running every day. I kind of gave up running because I got a new job as an Order Filler at Walmart Distribution Center. I make a TON of money but it's insanely physical. But yeah I know what you mean about it feeling less effective, all you can do is deal. Nothing's set in stone or solid, just kind of have to work with it. I have noticed if I like take 2 or 4 tylenol the night before my adderall feels a lot less effective the next day.

I don't know what to tell you there's no perfect solution, life's a rough ride. If you start exercising every day I can 100% guarentee you'll feel that all the bs you deal with will be alot easier to deal with.

As far as my sleep goes uh... Tonight i'll probably get 3-5 hours... tomorrow I'll get like 8-12, probably night after that 'who knows', the big killer for me is the nights I work and we have high volume and I have class the day after. Like Thursday night is our busiest night. So I have class @ 9:30am thursday, @ 4pm-12 to 2am I'm at work, then on friday I have class at 9:05am ... see what I mean? And at my job there really is no pity or mercy doesn't matter what your situation but for $18/hour you can do whatever you want to me.

Tylerlee17
03-30-09, 02:15 AM
And about that die of sleep comment, like one person has been recorded in history of dieing. Some guy developed a condition that even when he slept he simply could NOT go into REM stage.. it took somewhere between 1-3 months (I don't recall how many) and he died. The entire time doctors and others were recording data on him and trying to figure out / solve the problem but never did.

Missing 3 hours every other day of sleep is NOT going to kill you Believe me I've lived for well over 4 years now dealing with it - you'll feel exhausted quite a bit but to hell with it you're in your 20s and quite honestly I don't really care what anyone tells you if you're taking college seriously AND working this IS the toughest time of your life (which should make you feel better considering it only gets easier from there).

I will tell you this though I don't get ANY insomniatic effects from adderall... so it's not really like i'm staying up off the medication. I get bad insomnia from caffeine but I hate drinking caffeine / soda anyway, mainly just spurred energy I guess is how I managed to keep myself going.

Tylerlee17
03-30-09, 02:19 AM
And another thing, I hate to say it but as far as medication goes, use it for your priority issues, and take frequent breaks - more than people who don't do both work / school, it helps it be a lot more effective. Like sometimes if I have 1 class I'll take half my daily dose, If I have 2 classes I'll take half or full dose, if I have to study I'll always take my full dose, if I work I always take my full dose (if I screw up paying attention I could get myself killed at this job).

But oh well live or die that's life =P

davito
03-30-09, 04:06 PM
And another thing, I hate to say it but as far as medication goes, use it for your priority issues, and take frequent breaks - more than people who don't do both work / school, it helps it be a lot more effective. Like sometimes if I have 1 class I'll take half my daily dose, If I have 2 classes I'll take half or full dose, if I have to study I'll always take my full dose, if I work I always take my full dose (if I screw up paying attention I could get myself killed at this job).

But oh well live or die that's life =P

Ok, That sound intersting and I like the fact you want to be productive in life. I think you have planned your future and you know yourself which it is exellent.

Thanks for sharing.

davito
03-30-09, 05:37 PM
And about that die of sleep comment, like one person has been recorded in history of dieing. Some guy developed a condition that even when he slept he simply could NOT go into REM stage.. it took somewhere between 1-3 months (I don't recall how many) and he died. The entire time doctors and others were recording data on him and trying to figure out / solve the problem but never did.

Missing 3 hours every other day of sleep is NOT going to kill you Believe me I've lived for well over 4 years now dealing with it - you'll feel exhausted quite a bit but to hell with it you're in your 20s and quite honestly I don't really care what anyone tells you if you're taking college seriously AND working this IS the toughest time of your life (which should make you feel better considering it only gets easier from there).

I will tell you this though I don't get ANY insomniatic effects from adderall... so it's not really like i'm staying up off the medication. I get bad insomnia from caffeine but I hate drinking caffeine / soda anyway, mainly just spurred energy I guess is how I managed to keep myself going.

This is intersting, I would like to read about this, send me the link please if you find it.

Thanks!

Tylerlee17
03-30-09, 05:47 PM
Don't have a link, learned about it in 2005 in my high school senior psychology class. If you google it I'm sure you'd find something though; irregardless man don't sweat that BS you're okay unless you're staying up for 2-3 weeks at a time. Which honestly, I couldn't conceive an Amphetamine having the power to do that to someone but Methyl-amphetamine (meth) yeah definatly.

Seragilo
04-01-09, 09:53 PM
Evening folks!

Sleep is a funny little thing, you do not think about it if ya get it but if ya don't that is all you think about!

I have been dealing with chronic insomnia all my life. I have been to several sleep clinics, and just about every kind of medical practitioner known to man. My lastest sleep Doc has called me many things, bizarre, odd....unique. I can speak from experience that after 41 hours of no sleep...not a wink, your mind has already started to turn to mush. Heck, just after 24 hours a person is incapacitated mentally and physically....a sleep deprived person is comparable to someone who is intoxicated.

I am not saying you will drop dead after a couple of days with no sleep....Heck I would be dead a hundred times over. But what I am saying is that sleep is an integral part of living.

Why do you think that sleep deprivation is one of the first and foremost torture technique? Because it can wear a body, mind and soul down. It can make a grown man weep, a strong man beg and a honest man lie.....Sleep deprivation can also make a person do very, very odd things.

I myself thought I would try to push it to the limit with my insomnia to see just how much I could do. For one year I would...

Midnight - 8:00am: Work full time warehouse job
8:30am - 4:30pm: Full time College
5:00pm - ?pm: See family, make dinner and go to daughter's soccer
?pm - 11:30pm: Sleep

On average I slept 3 hours a night, and that was if I was lucky. That year is a blur but I did get top of the class marks with an 90%average. I do not suggest it for anyone tho....missed out on too much family stuff!

I guess everyone is different when it comes to sleep and how much we all need. However, we all need to sleep eventually....
Seragilo

davito
04-02-09, 03:08 PM
Evening folks!

Sleep is a funny little thing, you do not think about it if ya get it but if ya don't that is all you think about!

I have been dealing with chronic insomnia all my life. I have been to several sleep clinics, and just about every kind of medical practitioner known to man. My lastest sleep Doc has called me many things, bizarre, odd....unique. I can speak from experience that after 41 hours of no sleep...not a wink, your mind has already started to turn to mush. Heck, just after 24 hours a person is incapacitated mentally and physically....a sleep deprived person is comparable to someone who is intoxicated.

I am not saying you will drop dead after a couple of days with no sleep....Heck I would be dead a hundred times over. But what I am saying is that sleep is an integral part of living.

Why do you think that sleep deprivation is one of the first and foremost torture technique? Because it can wear a body, mind and soul down. It can make a grown man weep, a strong man beg and a honest man lie.....Sleep deprivation can also make a person do very, very odd things.

I myself thought I would try to push it to the limit with my insomnia to see just how much I could do. For one year I would...

Midnight - 8:00am: Work full time warehouse job
8:30am - 4:30pm: Full time College
5:00pm - ?pm: See family, make dinner and go to daughter's soccer
?pm - 11:30pm: Sleep

On average I slept 3 hours a night, and that was if I was lucky. That year is a blur but I did get top of the class marks with an 90%average. I do not suggest it for anyone tho....missed out on too much family stuff!

I guess everyone is different when it comes to sleep and how much we all need. However, we all need to sleep eventually....
Seragilo

Thats very interesting case. I guess you consume stimulants as well, which it will contribute to your insomia, and probably your diet. Also, every person energy is different, and depends from many factors as age, weight, diet etc.

Seragilo
04-04-09, 11:21 AM
Morning...

Why would you assume I use stimulants? Why would you assume anything about my diet....yes, yes I get quite testy when people *assume* that my insomnia is perpetrated by diet. I would say that is right up there with people assuming that ADD/ADHD is another form of laziness or aloofness. That ADD/ADHD could be controled by simply getting up off one's duff and getting tasks completed...or possibly changing one's diet.

Let me run it down for ya...wee bit of education:

I do not drink coffee or pop (caffeine drinks) like Coke or Mountian Dew. I have one white tea in the morning for it's healthy properties. I enjoy cooking immensly and consume a diet of whole grians, raw fruits and veggies, lean meats and low on the bad fats, take out or prepared food are NOT food groups in my home. I partake in limited amounts of alcohol normally only on the weekends....can't say I have not enjoyed a glass of wine mid week tho. I exercise 3-5 times a week which includeds strength training as well as Cardio....and yes, darnit Wii Fit can count..whew can build up a sweat! *snicker* Oh and I am of 'normal' weight and BMI, aside from a little too much 'junk-in-the-trunk', I am a purdy healthy gal.

My 20 year battle with smoking finally ended 1 year ago....totally that is, had been trying to quit for 10 years before that. I do not inhale, injest or inject any illicit drug. I do however take several vitamins due to recent blood tests which show I am lacking in several areas. D, all Bs, calcium magnesium, omega 3.....

I have been suffering from chronic insomnia since I was 4...one of my first memories concerns sleep or lack there of. I have tried just about everything legal and not to gain a couple hours of solid shut-eye. Do you not think I have tinkered with a simple thing such as diet?

I am still working on it....up for another round of allergey tests to see if something in my *healthy* diet could be a contributing factor. I am seeing a naturopath, councillor, sleep clinic doc and oh so many more specialists to see why it is I do not sleep.

Wanna know something funny? the new round of thinking is giving me a stimulant to help me sleep. They now believe that if I can get stimulated enough during the day my body will have no choice but to crash at night. Guess what?....going on 24hours no sleep as week speak...

...Been a long night.

While I may not be any sort of 'professional' when it comes to medical conditions I do believe I have a better understanding of sleep and how it pertains to life than the average Joe. I mean really, I have been researching it my entire life....

So, lesson for today kidlets? Never assume....
Seragilo

davito
04-04-09, 11:20 PM
Morning...

Why would you assume I use stimulants? Why would you assume anything about my diet....yes, yes I get quite testy when people *assume* that my insomnia is perpetrated by diet. I would say that is right up there with people assuming that ADD/ADHD is another form of laziness or aloofness. That ADD/ADHD could be controled by simply getting up off one's duff and getting tasks completed...or possibly changing one's diet.

Let me run it down for ya...wee bit of education:

I do not drink coffee or pop (caffeine drinks) like Coke or Mountian Dew. I have one white tea in the morning for it's healthy properties. I enjoy cooking immensly and consume a diet of whole grians, raw fruits and veggies, lean meats and low on the bad fats, take out or prepared food are NOT food groups in my home. I partake in limited amounts of alcohol normally only on the weekends....can't say I have not enjoyed a glass of wine mid week tho. I exercise 3-5 times a week which includeds strength training as well as Cardio....and yes, darnit Wii Fit can count..whew can build up a sweat! *snicker* Oh and I am of 'normal' weight and BMI, aside from a little too much 'junk-in-the-trunk', I am a purdy healthy gal.

My 20 year battle with smoking finally ended 1 year ago....totally that is, had been trying to quit for 10 years before that. I do not inhale, injest or inject any illicit drug. I do however take several vitamins due to recent blood tests which show I am lacking in several areas. D, all Bs, calcium magnesium, omega 3.....

I have been suffering from chronic insomnia since I was 4...one of my first memories concerns sleep or lack there of. I have tried just about everything legal and not to gain a couple hours of solid shut-eye. Do you not think I have tinkered with a simple thing such as diet?

I am still working on it....up for another round of allergey tests to see if something in my *healthy* diet could be a contributing factor. I am seeing a naturopath, councillor, sleep clinic doc and oh so many more specialists to see why it is I do not sleep.

Wanna know something funny? the new round of thinking is giving me a stimulant to help me sleep. They now believe that if I can get stimulated enough during the day my body will have no choice but to crash at night. Guess what?....going on 24hours no sleep as week speak...

...Been a long night.

While I may not be any sort of 'professional' when it comes to medical conditions I do believe I have a better understanding of sleep and how it pertains to life than the average Joe. I mean really, I have been researching it my entire life....

So, lesson for today kidlets? Never assume....
Seragilo

Ok, Sorry for assuming, and I really sorry to hear all this issues you have being dealing with your sleep.I hope you can find the proper treatment and doctor.

Take care
God bless you.