View Full Version : Bad dreams make me not want to go to sleep

RedSkittles
03-27-09, 06:40 PM
Im so scared now, i've been having dreams that i died and went to hell and wake up sweating. This is freaking me out and im scared to death. I started crying this morning to realize that I had this dream not once or twice, but three times. I've been so spooked throughout the day and I am getting so worried; I read online that sometimes dreams are based on the future. i dont believe in supernatural stuff, but It's scaring me to the point were I had to listen to "Love without end, amen" just to calm myself down. I really really dont want to go to hell and whatever I did im so sorry for it D:

This is sort of how it goes: I'm balancing across a brick wall (I actually do this a lot in real life, its fun) and I trip and fall, but insted of hiting the ground, the ground turns black and i keep going and going, untill I fall on red rocks which burn real bad. It's wierd. people say when your dreaming you cant feel anything. It seems my mind over matter is strong, because apparently I can think myself into pain. (its not like real pain, and I doubt what it feels like to be born, but it sort of enough to realize and for it to feel real.) I don't see the devil or imps or anything, but there is fire all around me and i'm crying and screaming-- but noone hears me and nothing is here but red rocks, coals, and a circle of fire around me that won't go out. Everywere around me is red, even the cloudless sky. Then I get the feeling of being jabbed in the chest over and over again-- Painfull jabbing. Then if I don't wake up by now I see gold everywhere and a small white blur but then it fades out and I go back to the coals and burning. I haven't gotten any farther than this-- I usually jerk awake crying or sweating and i didnt even no i was doing it in my sleep.

I'm starting to wonder why im having these dreams and if they mean anything. Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but sometimes when im in bed i get a little spaz and feel like im falling or something. it only last a couple seconds but it startles me enough to jerk me awake.

Anyways, I'm very religouse and scared of the possability of hell and I am getting scared to go to sleep. anyone have advice? herbal remadies that decrease the amount of dreams or something? I don't know, you can just reply about what you think or something, i'd be mighty apreciative for anything. Thanks, -Katie

ginniebean
03-27-09, 06:51 PM
I've died several times in my dreams. What I've come to understand is that dreams pretty much are telling you.. hmmm something isn't quite right.. the subconscious mind goes to work and you get a nightmare.

Clearly this is a dream about something overwhelming you, lack of control and power. I kinda doubt it's anything you did.

Maybe take a look at what's going on in your life that your dreams are trying to get you to address.

stef
03-27-09, 08:20 PM
maybe you're having some physical symptom during sleep -? or anxiety?
when we were living in a too-small apartment, I had recurring dreams that we actually had tons of space ; like there would be 5 more rooms and a huge kitchen "behind" the apartment. I remember thinking oh, we could put the TV in here! wait look we have all this space!'

I hope you feel better soon

ecu20
03-27-09, 10:26 PM
Im so scared now, i've been having dreams that i died and went to hell and wake up sweating. This is freaking me out and im scared to death. I started crying this morning to realize that I had this dream not once or twice, but three times. I've been so spooked throughout the day and I am getting so worried; I read online that sometimes dreams are based on the future. i dont believe in supernatural stuff, but It's scaring me to the point were I had to listen to "Love without end, amen" just to calm myself down. I really really dont want to go to hell and whatever I did im so sorry for it D:

This is sort of how it goes: I'm balancing across a brick wall (I actually do this a lot in real life, its fun) and I trip and fall, but insted of hiting the ground, the ground turns black and i keep going and going, untill I fall on red rocks which burn real bad. It's wierd. people say when your dreaming you cant feel anything. It seems my mind over matter is strong, because apparently I can think myself into pain. (its not like real pain, and I doubt what it feels like to be born, but it sort of enough to realize and for it to feel real.) I don't see the devil or imps or anything, but there is fire all around me and i'm crying and screaming-- but noone hears me and nothing is here but red rocks, coals, and a circle of fire around me that won't go out. Everywere around me is red, even the cloudless sky. Then I get the feeling of being jabbed in the chest over and over again-- Painfull jabbing. Then if I don't wake up by now I see gold everywhere and a small white blur but then it fades out and I go back to the coals and burning. I haven't gotten any farther than this-- I usually jerk awake crying or sweating and i didnt even no i was doing it in my sleep.

I'm starting to wonder why im having these dreams and if they mean anything. Also, I dont know if this has anything to do with it or not, but sometimes when im in bed i get a little spaz and feel like im falling or something. it only last a couple seconds but it startles me enough to jerk me awake.

Anyways, I'm very religouse and scared of the possability of hell and I am getting scared to go to sleep. anyone have advice? herbal remadies that decrease the amount of dreams or something? I don't know, you can just reply about what you think or something, i'd be mighty apreciative for anything. Thanks, -Katie

Katie-, I have felt and experienced exactly how you feel, and trust me on this one: You won't go to hell based on what goes on in your sleep!!! Honestly!

REM sleep is what causes your dreams- good or bad. You go into REM sleep for a good reason: to consolidate your short term memory (what you learned and experienced that day), basically spatial and procedural memories, into long term memory.

I'm not going to tell you how our brain does it, because honestly anyone who tells you they do know is lying. We aren't exactly sure yet what happens in our brain when it comes to sleep, REM, or even cognitive functions (humans as a whole)! Right now, it IS understood that when in REM sleep:

The pontine tegmentum is responsible for initiating REM sleep, and can be excessively stimulated by taking cholinergic agonists.

Cholinergic agonists are drugs that modify the way cholinergic receptors act, which are simply receptors for the neurotransmitter acetylcholine. This is why anticholinergic agents like Benadryl (diphenhydramine hcl) and even moreso the more potent drug in nyquil (Doxylamine succinate) cause nightmares.

If you're taking any OTC sleep aids, like benadryl, nyquil, unisom, etc (even some like the 'xxxxx PM' drugs, such as tylenol PM), this is the side effect of the drugs inhibiting acetylcholine receptors- usually nightmares.
Monoamine Neurotransmitters (dopamine, norepinephrine, serotonin, etc.) shut down in being used with their receptors.
DMT, or Dimethyltryptamine, is a very potent hallucinogen found within our body to naturally occur. It has been measured in increased levels within our CNS specifically during REM sleep. This is a huge reason for many of the experiences we see or feel in dreams - our body is "tripping out" with it's own potent hallucinogen naturally.

Some other things i'd advise reading up on is these 2 things:

What you described here:
What you experienced was a hypnagogic myoclonic twitch (http://www.failedsuccess.com/index.php?/weblog/comments/falling_sleep_hypnic_jerk/)

This is also something i've experienced in addition to hypnic twitches:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis
Sleep paralysis is characterized by temporary paralysis of the body shortly before or after sleep. Sleep paralysis may be accompanied by visual, auditory or tactile hallucinations. Not a disorder unless severe. Often seen as part of Narcolepsy.

Symptoms of sleep paralysis can be either one of the following or a combination:

Paralysis: this occurs after waking up or shortly before falling asleep. The person cannot move any body part, and only has minimal control over blinking, breathing, and very rarely, movement of the jaw. This paralysis is the same paralysis that occurs when dreaming. The brain paralyzes the muscles to prevent possible injury during dreams, as some body parts may move during dreaming. If the person wakes up suddenly, the brain may still think that it is dreaming, and sustains the paralysis.

Hallucinations: Images or speaking that appear during the paralysis. The person may think that someone is standing beside them or they may hear strange sounds. These may be dreamlike, possibly causing the person to think that they are still dreaming. Often it is reported as feeling a weight on one's chest, as if being underneath a person or heavy object.

These symptoms can last from mere seconds to several minutes (although they can feel like much longer) and can be frightening to the person. There may be some body movement, but it is very unlikely and hard for a person to accomplish.

Hope you start feeling better! Most nightmares and anxiety has actually been sucessfully reduced by (ironically) sleeping more! Be sure you get your 8 hours in!

RedSkittles
03-28-09, 11:12 AM
thank you so much ecu!!!!