View Full Version : My new plan (maybe a micromanage or seeing a new light)

netsavy006
03-29-09, 12:37 PM
I notice 2 things with Abilify 10mg/day in my mix. I notice that it's increasing my anxiety and restlessness.

What my new plan is is to get off of Abilify and just remain solo on Zyprexa for mood stabilization. (I've been stable on Zyprexa in the past so I don't see this as a problem).

It's my mistake thinking I could handle Abilify differently this time but how do I explain to my doctor I made a mistake and now I'd like to work my way off of Abilify for good?

I know if I get off of Abilify I can then work off of Cogentin as I'm taking that for the side effects of Abilify and I don't get the EPS side effects from Zyprexa @ my current dose (7.5mg).

The reason for wanting to switch was because I feared some of the longer term effects of Zyprexa but if I can't handle the side effects of even lower doses of Abilify then I have to get off and stick with Zyprexa, right?

I'm just glad I never went off of Zyprexa during this period of time so I can keep it's stabilization in my system.

That's all I have to say for now. If you have comments/questions, please mention because I will try to respond as best I can. I look forward to reading replys and thanks for reading my post.

Andy...

01GT281
03-29-09, 05:36 PM
I'm Bi-Polar II. I also take 10mg of Abilify daily but I have noticed that it gives me increased energy but has actually decreased my anxiety. I tried Zyprexa before and was up to 10mg but had horrible weight gain and then my blood sugar started fluctuating. I have also tried Invega up to 12mg with absolutely no help but a lot of constipation and muscle stiffness. I have found Abilify stabilizes me the most right now. Wish it worked on ya man! It's taken me quite a while to find a set of meds that works for me. I've tried almost every antidepressant on the face of the planet but a combo of Vyvanse 30mg (for now, going to raise to 50 next appointment), Abilify 10mg, and Xanax 0.5mg PRN.

Keep tweaking and trying new things until you find what is right. Don't stop until you do cause it's so worth it.

ETA: I find abilify to put me into a kind of "controlled hypomania" that I find pleasant.

netsavy006
03-29-09, 05:41 PM
Well I feel that I may be able to stabilize on just Topamax, Valium, and Zyprexa, but I'm not sure. That's what I'd like to work with my pdoc to find out. Zyprexa I know in the past stabilized me and Topamax is also one of my mood stabilizers so I'll be on 2 mood stabilizers and Valium is for my panic attacks so I know I have to remain on that at this point in time.

I see her sometime this week so we will find out what happens soon.

netsavy006
04-01-09, 12:12 PM
Well I saw my regular psychiatrist today and she is fine with me working off of Abilify. She told me to go back to 5mg of Abilify and made an appt for 2 weeks. I asked her if we'd then work further on the decreasing of Abilify and she said "we'll see". I'm so glad to be working off of Abilify because the side effects (increased anxiety and restlessness, difficulty getting to sleep, and trouble swallowing) was not worth the benefit (some mood elevation). I'm so glad that I have a medication in my system to replace the Abilify so I won't have to worry about what to take in it's place. Zyprexa has been very helpful to me. And to top it all off, I'm still loosing weight while on it. I lost 2 more pounds. I went from 137 to 135lbs. I'm a BMI of 21. My psychiatrist told me not to worry about the long term side effects because I'm very healthy. I'll be sure to watch my diet and exercise very carefully so that I can continue to have benefit with the medication. I'm hopeful that I can work off of Abilify, and then stabilize only on Topamax, Valium, and Zyprexa. (I wouldn't need Cogentin because I don't get EPS/Akathisia from Zyprexa @ 7.5mg.)

netsavy006
04-07-09, 06:17 PM
I called my pdoc yesterday and she called me back today and I explained my situation (anxiety, restlessness, trouble swallowing) and she lowered the Abilify further. She told me to cut the Abilify in 1/2. So from now on I will be taking 2.5mg of Abilify. It's not a full withdrawal from the medication but it's at least something in my eyes so I guess I'll have some stuff to deal with in the meantime. At least this will help prevent withdrawal effects.

01GT281
04-10-09, 07:15 PM
As stated previously, I am currently on 10mg of Abilify.

Now I'm scared of withdrawal symptoms should I have to quit this medication. My insurance is going away at the end of the year so I may have to go to taking something cheaper. I have been through opioid withdrawal from a 400mg a day OxyContin habit and i don't care to do ANYTHING like that again as I thought I was going to die. Have been clean every since though thank God! Are the withdrawals from Abilify bad? I have also heard of Effexor and Paxil withdrawal, are they similar or is each it's own?

Also, I have PTSD and PD or one or the other with overlapping symptoms. My pdoc still hasn't come to a definitive diagnosis. Currently I am on 0.5mg of Xanax and I get 15 tablets per month to take PRN. I have coverage issues with this medication that when I do have a panic attack or flahsbacks, anxiety etc that the xanax only works for about 3-4 hrs. My pdoc is wary to increase my dose or give me more due to my history of substance abuse. Normally, i would self medicate myself but that part of me is gone and sober me is in place now. I have researched that Valium has a longer duration of action of all the benzodiazpines but I've also checked into Klonipin which is only slightly longer than Xanax and Xanax XR which is supposed to be like an 8 or 12 hr medication I believe. What are your thoughts on the best benzo for PTSD or PD? Or would you share your thoughts on the different most popular benzos (xanax, xanax xr, klonipin, and valium) and their pros and cons?

netsavy006
04-10-09, 07:56 PM
Xanax increased my restlessness so I couldn't stay on that one for too long. Klonopin sent me into a manic state (somehow) in one dose so I couldn't remain on Klonopin for very long either. Valium is the only benzo that has been able to help my anxiety up to the point until I got onto Abilify. Then the anxiety got out of control. I've had anxiety issues since being on the Abilify. I also feel that it might be a side effect of the Cogentin because Cogentin does list nervousness as a side effect. The withdrawals of Abilify seems to be just as bad as the side effects of being on the medication. I can't seem to find a happy medium. I think what's going to be the happy medium will be having the Abilify fully out of my system, but I'm not to sure of that. As for the best benzo for ptsd or pd I don't really know. Like I said the only one that worked for me was Valium and now that's not even working (as well) at this point. I keep working on getting off of the "problem" medication(s) but of course it has to be done gradually and not all at once. I've been at least successful in getting from 10mg Abilify to 5mg April 1st, and then from 5mg to 2.5mg on April 7th. I'm hoping to get off the medication entirely when I see my pdoc next April 16.

netsavy006
04-11-09, 04:24 PM
I called the psychiatric on call service because I was still having anxiety issues on the 2.5mg of Abilify. It was my 5th dose today. The doctor on call told me to discontinue the Abilify. I'd like to know now is how long will the Abilify remain in my system?