View Full Version : What must one do/inform their doctor in order for them to be put on desoxyn?

andy0808
03-29-09, 06:09 PM
This person really feels like this one med could work for him. Theyve put him on plenty other types of ADHD medications and nothing seems to work longer than a week. It could be possibly due to the low dosage or simply he has a higher degree of ADHD. The problem is, he doesnt know what to tell his doctor to put him on this med bc he has a history of drug abuse. Though his history had drug abuse he has no intentions to abuse this one, he just simply wants to be "normal" already and be able to focus and not be hyperactive. What can be done to help him?

He feels his doctor wont put him on anything that he can abuse hence why none of the other ADHD pills had much effect. He is well aware that with these meds you can not abuse them, mainly b/c they can be lethal, but also, he is aware that the "high" you can get, has a devestating crash that no one enjoys and can have depression.

He is well aware of his potential and he KNOWS he can get very far, but his lack of attention and hyperactivity hinder that possiblity of being a doctor in his future. He will edmit that there could be temptation to abuse, but he feels he strong enough not to. He is willing to have his mother take hold of the medication and serve it to him when instructed to take them (i.e. every morning) (He's 18 of age).

All in all, he wants this medication b/c of the research hes done on it and the recomendation from one of his peers. He wants this medication to be at his full potential and move on in life instead of being held back by his disorder.

He just wants to be "normal". He just wants to be successful, not get high.

merovingian
03-30-09, 01:16 AM
I feel I need more information to best help you. Please describe in more detail the history of abuse and the ADD issues he is looking to solve with medication. It seems to me the history of abuse is more important, he might need to get a copy of his medical records with that doctor if he wants to find out what exactly the doctor knows or thinks they know about his history of abuse, in California this request is free. Bonus question: Which meds has he taken so far and a brief summery of why they did not work for him.

Half life is 4-5 hours, is he coming back home to mom for his 2nd dose just before he starts eating lunch?

Does he currently have the correct health care coverage? I'd make sure he has the health care package he wants before seeing a doc about Desoxyn, it's difficult to get health coverage if you have recenly been prescribed medications such as Desoxyn outside of continuing coverage. That coverage needs to include brand name meds as I am not aware that there is a generic and the cost of the medication is consideable in comparison to the cost of coverage for most people in that age bracket.

Just curious, why isn't he here on these forums asking these questions?

ozchris
03-30-09, 02:19 AM
I think you might be looking for the wrong thing from stimulant medications. If they're working for a week and then not working at all it might be the short term effects that you are expecting to be long term.

My first week on Dex. I noticed - superfocus at will, more energy, heaps of motivation, sense of well being and no depression. This is probably more extreme than most because I seem to be sensitive to this med.

As those first short term effects disappeared I noticed the main long term effects that stayed consistent - increased focus, able to follow through on more things until the end, decreased distractedness and impulsiveness. At first I was disappointed because I liked the sense of well being I got in the first week, I thought that was how it felt to be 'normal'.

I told my doctor this and he said that some of his patients feel the same way when they first start treatment on stimulants.
- He encouraged me to forget about those first week effects completely and focus on the overall improvements in my life since starting treatment.
- He said not to over-focus on how I feel at any one time because it's hard to judge if it's working based on that.
- he also said that the effects should be subtle, and that the people around me would be more likely to notice the improvements, if there were any.

I'd probably be thinking the same thing as you if my doctor hadn't told me this. If it turns out the above is your issue, then I don't think desoxyn will be any different than the other stimulants you tried.

Yellow
05-19-09, 01:26 AM
This person is using recreational drug forum protocol and phrasing. This person is almost saying SWIM (or someone I met). This person wants prescription methamphetamine for recreational uses. This person should stop trying to abuse prescription medication, especially when people who can really use it cant get it because of people like you.

He's 18 and he needs meth? He's 18 and dex or adderall or ritalin didnt work? Nope

He's 18 and trying real hard to get desoxyn to say "OH MAN! I JUST A SCRIPT OF CRYSTAL" 2 posts huh? wheredya go buddy

daveddd
05-30-09, 01:31 AM
that s what that stupid swim thing i see is

ive always seen it places and thought why is everyone named swim

thats stupid

Yellow
05-30-09, 01:50 AM
ive always seen it places and thought why is everyone named swim

lol...

thriller219
06-14-09, 02:27 PM
The real answer is....the difference in positive effects (those that would be more inclined to cause addiction) between Adderall/Dexedrine vs Desoxyn are minimal. Desoxyn is prescribed less because of the stigma associated with "meth", and therefore is only used as a last resort. However, the fact that desoxyn causes less pronounced side effects and lesser doses for the same effects as the others would tend to make it more effective for many. THE POSITIVE EFFECTS ARE MINIMALLY DIFFERENT FROM OTHER AMPHETAMINE STIMULANTS. If it weren't for the stigma, this drug would be prescribed more often, and could help people manage their ADHD with smaller doses and less pronounced side effects. If you aren't inclined to become addicted to Adderall, you probably won't be with Desoxyn either. But as is standard in America lately, dis/misinformation reigns supreme.

KalibTweli
06-19-09, 11:52 PM
This person is using recreational drug forum protocol and phrasing. This person is almost saying SWIM (or someone I met). This person wants prescription methamphetamine for recreational uses. This person should stop trying to abuse prescription medication, especially when people who can really use it cant get it because of people like you.

He's 18 and he needs meth? He's 18 and dex or adderall or ritalin didnt work? Nope

He's 18 and trying real hard to get desoxyn to say "OH MAN! I JUST A SCRIPT OF CRYSTAL" 2 posts huh? wheredya go buddy

I thought SWIM stood for Someone Who Isn't Me. Although they both serve the same purpose.

KDLMaj
06-21-09, 03:46 PM
Yeah, this is the cry of a drug abuser for meth- whether they realize it or not. The notion that the meds aren't working after a week makes it clear that the person is confusing the initial euphoria some feel (and people prone to addiction are far more likely to feel it) with the therapeutic value. The pattern of looking for something strong and stronger is a pattern of addiction- the person in question (clearly not the original poster, of course) would do well to switch to nonstimulant medication to deal with their problems. Or at least add a nonstimulant medication into the mix instead of chasing after more potent stimulants.

somnitek
06-22-09, 11:10 AM
This person really feels like this one med could work for him. Theyve put him on plenty other types of ADHD medications and nothing seems to work longer than a week. It could be possibly due to the low dosage or simply he has a higher degree of ADHD. The problem is, he doesnt know what to tell his doctor to put him on this med bc he has a history of drug abuse. Though his history had drug abuse he has no intentions to abuse this one, he just simply wants to be "normal" already and be able to focus and not be hyperactive. What can be done to help him?

He feels his doctor wont put him on anything that he can abuse hence why none of the other ADHD pills had much effect. He is well aware that with these meds you can not abuse them, mainly b/c they can be lethal, but also, he is aware that the "high" you can get, has a devestating crash that no one enjoys and can have depression.

He is well aware of his potential and he KNOWS he can get very far, but his lack of attention and hyperactivity hinder that possiblity of being a doctor in his future. He will edmit that there could be temptation to abuse, but he feels he strong enough not to. He is willing to have his mother take hold of the medication and serve it to him when instructed to take them (i.e. every morning) (He's 18 of age).

All in all, he wants this medication b/c of the research hes done on it and the recomendation from one of his peers. He wants this medication to be at his full potential and move on in life instead of being held back by his disorder.

He just wants to be "normal". He just wants to be successful, not get high.

Alright, just putting aside the heavy elements of "boy and his future" drama (maybe you're serious, or maybe you're just having a hard time gauging the exact "feel" of the people on the board, it's all good to me), I'll tell you what's up with your situation as best I can.

Alright, so from the sound the things, you probably have health insurance, but one is very different from another. Thus, it's hard to guess or even ask others for a guess, without knowing which company.

There is, however, one thing that you mentioned that is universal among HMO's, health insurers, etc.: RECORDS! You mentioned that it is known to them that you have a history of substance abuse. What I don't know is the details of your substance abuse, how serious, how long, etc. That does have a determination on what they give you in the way of meds, and how you're treated, all things you may already know.

What it really comes down to is this: No matter which hospital you go to, what doctor see, anyone, or at any place; So long as they are within your health insurers network, they all get the exact same medical file on you. They all see, and when they look at it, the very, very, VERY first thing they see is that you're essentially "flagged" in the system as a person with substance abuse. Past, present, doesn't really matter.

Fact of the matter is, if you have ANY substance abuse issues, and they're flagged in your medical file, there will be a whole slice of medical care that you'll be effectively black-balled from getting, unless they absolutely have no, or next to no other choice. If that's the case, you can be all but certain that at some point, quite possibly on multiple occasions, these people are going to under-medicate you. Why? I don't read minds, and I have enough possible reasons to make this a whole other thread.

I guess what I'm trying to tell you, bro.... As far as they're concerned, you're nothing but a drain on them, their resources, their people... They view addicts and the like, more or less, as total second class citizens. Not all of them, but more look down their nose than don't.

Furthermore, the colorful variety of insurance issues, bad legal experiences, current legal issues, and a true plethora of other problems that I'm sure you can think of (my brain is a little fried this morning)... Well, to say they are weary would be a truly epic understatement. They all just converge to make it especially difficult for people like you, me (yep, my substance abuse issues are flagged big time; I just barely squeeze by) and so many other people, to get any kind of individual assessment that might allow for better, or more appropriate administration of meds, or better diagnosis, or any such medical care.

Ultimately, it's just easier for them to black-ball you. After all, they might be in the health care business, but really, they're in the BUSINESS business (i.e. the business of making money). Drug addicts are just a grandiose nuisance to them. Sucks, don't it?

Don't trip on it too much. Even if your history was clear, Desoxyn is mega-last line. If you've got patience measured in many months to a year, maybe more, you might eventually get it. Don't get your hope up, though. I heard quite a bit of talk a while back about it being discontinued. It's simply not prescribed that often, and I would have to assume, therefore, not really that profitable.

Laidbackk
09-10-09, 08:16 PM
I have read all of the threads posted with respect to the desoxyn seeker. My opinion is that if your physician is willing to prescribe dexedrine (ER or DexStat) in combination with adderal racemic may be an avenue to consider. I was precribed Dexedrine ER 15mg b.i.d and Adderall XR 30mg b.i.d by a generous doc who trusted me. Donot expect a GP to typically prescribe such amounts. They are deciding to go outside of FDA recommended max of 60 mg of amphetamine per diem, the pharmacist is knowingly dispensing > than FDA max and the Doc my be scrutinized by DEA. The long and the short is that the combo of dexamp with the racemic provides a platform of medication which covers all angles. Sometimes, you dont need the stronger physical stimulation of racemic but rather more psychic stimulation. Whatever the case, as Doc said to me " it is always good to have the right tools in your belt." It may be optimal for you? Dexamphetamine is essentially racemic methamphetamine but lacks the absurd neurotoxicity. Dextromethamphetamine is insanely neurotoxic to your bodys own dopinergic pathways. Furthermore, you will likely become dependant on it for the rest of your life for you to function. At 18 you feel invulnerable and that is exactly why all amphetamines are schedule 2. (except one in schedule 3 for weight loss.) if you are he** bent on obtaining meth and doc just wont do it. Ask for a higher doseage of dextroamphetamine. Just remember the body is like a woman they might not tell you but they never forget abuse. Good luck to you and i hope you find the best formulation for your add/hd available in present day pharmacopia.

BowTech
09-28-09, 11:23 PM
I do realize that this topic is old, but it brings up the fact that people are trying to get high off these medications, making it for those with ADHD to get the help they need. The dead giveaway in the original post is when he said he wanted to be a doctor and that his mom would hold the medicine. At eighteen, going to college is the next step. After that, it is time for medical school. I seriously doubt Andy is going to let his mother hold his medication when he is hours away at college/medical school.

Yellow
04-07-10, 11:00 PM
"andy's" mom will be makin her own batch soon enuff, share the love bro lol...."this person" go sniff some coke