View Full Version : Wanting Suggestions For The GFC

mADD mike
03-30-09, 12:29 PM
When I started the GFC last year, I did it based on a similar group that I had seen. I added the medal system to make it a bit more stimulating, and it went pretty well. I did get some complaints over what was deemed to be exercise, so I kind of restarted it with no more medal system and simplified it.

It seems that lately things are dying down a bit. I went through the threads, and counted 52 people that have participated in some way since the beginning. We've had some really good participation from people that then disappeared. Of course, some no longer post here on the forums for whatever reason, but some still do, and I wonder if there is anything we could do to get them back.

Lately we have about 7 post in the results threads, but one is always me, and one is often my wife. So, I'm just trying to think of things that might help keep this going, as it seems to have lost a bit of steam over the winter. I also know that there are other people on the forums that talk about how they like to work out, but they don't come down here either. So maybe there is a way to get them to come and hang out as well.

Any suggestions? Maybe something you would like to see done, like a specific group that you would like to help start?

I'll kick off the suggestions with some options. How about a walking group, just something to get people moving. Pretty much everyone can walk, and if we had pedometers we could count steps every day, and set a goal for the group weekly, adding everyone's together to try and reach it.

Or, maybe some sort of buddy system. I've seen it done with other things on here. Maybe a few of those that have been here a while could take a few members and pm them each week to see how they are doing and encourage them to work out some.

We have lots of creative people here, so what do you suggest? Or, maybe you like it just the way it is. I am kind of a "fixer", so maybe I'm fixing something that isn't broken. I just noticed a decline in momentum, a loss of steam over the past month or so, and with spring coming in it is a great time to make a push for something that would encourage ones to get started or pick back up.

Mike

stef
03-30-09, 12:37 PM
really, I like it as it is! Just knowing the weekly thread is there, is reassuring. I suppose this must seem weird to you but I just hate exercise so much. If there were more "goals" to it I would start feeling like I couldn't keep up.

justcallmedorie
03-30-09, 12:40 PM
I'll kick off the suggestions with some options. How about a walking group, just something to get people moving. Pretty much everyone can walk, and if we had pedometers we could count steps every day, and set a goal for the group weekly, adding everyone's together to try and reach it.

I personally like the pedometer idea, primarily because I've done something similar in the past and it made me VERY conscious of my steps throughout the day. I would be short on some days and actually walk back and forth and round and round in my house just to get my steps in. I tend to be a little OCD about some things and that was one of them, I had an excel log and was extremely attentive to keeping it full. Y'all have probably figured out by now that if I have some kind of "push" like that I tend to stick with it. I'll dig out my pedometer and log and such for "just in case"...:)

firstdesserts
03-30-09, 12:54 PM
Mike, I like the thread the way it is but I'll probably like it if you change it! My wife does alot of walking and I've recently started walking with her. She cannot do that daily because she already does an hour or more in the morning. So I am going to continue adding stuff to other days like callast. calest. calasten. exercises and karate and biking. I'm fine with what anyone else needs.

mADD mike
03-30-09, 02:41 PM
Don't worry guys, I'm not looking to change the main GFC. I thought that some might like something additional, like a group counting steps, or maybe a different day for the results thread, or something like that. I don't want to go and make a bunch of rules or put pressure on anyone.

Oh, and Stef, it isn't weird to hate exercise, unless of course I'm weird too, lol. I hate it, find it boring and would rather do something with my brain. However, I feel so much better afterward. Unfortunately, that often isn't enough to motivate me to actually do something.

I'm open for any ideas. I don't want to drastically change what is working now, just add to it on the side, maybe start a separate GFC walking group or something if that would help others.

Just thinking out loud, or in type, errr.........something.

mADD mike
03-30-09, 02:58 PM
Mike, I like the thread the way it is but I'll probably like it if you change it! My wife does alot of walking and I've recently started walking with her. She cannot do that daily because she already does an hour or more in the morning. So I am going to continue adding stuff to other days like callast. calest. calasten. exercises and karate and biking. I'm fine with what anyone else needs.

LOL!:D

Karate sounds like fun, something stimulating to help you exercise.

My wife loves to ride bikes, but sadly, I'm not very good on a bike. I'm just not comfortable, as I never had a bike long enough as a kid to get good on one. We didn't live in a great area, and they always got stolen.:( Sure, I can ride, and I have a bike, but it is uncomfortable for me. Plus, I seem to have chosen an unusually high bike when I bought mine, probably because I had no idea what I was doing, which makes it a bit tougher than it should be.

I wish I could play basketball more, as that makes it stimulating, but I've gotten in bad shape, which keeps me from doing so. I do go play by myself at the park sometimes, but playing with other people isn't an option, as I don't have the lung capacity for it and end up way out of breath.

I hope you get your calisthenics (now I'm just showing off ;)) going well.

Mike

cwatca
03-30-09, 04:04 PM
I like both of your suggestions Mike

We need to lure them back somehow, I don't know if there is anyone like me out there, but after reading one forum and then I go to another forum and I think to myself, "I'll post the results" after and I just either keep forgetting or put it off. I'll kick my butt this week and post in the results forum this week.

stef
03-30-09, 04:05 PM
Oh, and Stef, it isn't weird to hate exercise, unless of course I'm weird too, lol. I hate it, find it boring and would rather do something with my brain. However, I feel so much better afterward. Unfortunately, that often isn't enough to motivate me to actually do something.

oh right - I guess I wrote that because you said you loved playing sports. Seriously I'm quite uncoordinated and traumatized practically from those awful gym classes. This is the thing that just stops me from actually doing other exercises like even streching. which I really need for my back, I sit in this strange posture when I type at work.

mADD mike
03-30-09, 06:56 PM
oh right - I guess I wrote that because you said you loved playing sports. Seriously I'm quite uncoordinated and traumatized practically from those awful gym classes. This is the thing that just stops me from actually doing other exercises like even streching. which I really need for my back, I sit in this strange posture when I type at work.

Oh, well, I don't see playing sports as exercise. Sports are fun, and exercise is torture, lol. The repetition of exercise makes it boring to me. I'm plenty coordinated, just easily bored. Too bad I'm in no shape, and have no friends, to play sports with anymore. Plus, I am self-employed, and can't afford to blow out a knee or something playing my favorite sport, basketball.

Anyone got any suggestions on how to lure back those that slipped away from the club?

I'm thinking mass abductions, hypnotism, perhaps false promises of some sort of reward (just to get them hooked), or something along those lines. Meh, I'm open to suggestions.