View Full Version : prescribed drugs & school

Universal
04-03-09, 11:13 PM
i'm really desperate in trying to get A's. i know without drugs i will be failing. these are the following drugs i tried so far to try to be an advanced smart student.

strattera - no hope, it turned me in to a zombie whatever information that i was recieving just went through one ear and out the other. no success towards school.

wellbutrin XR - no hope towards school, it seemed like taking coffee....it did make me talk a lot in class and amazing performance during work which was good, but i had a poor comprehension in school....

wellbutrin SR - almost the same, but i was able to smell things stronger. worked like coffee...great during work....great interactive skills...but didn't help me understand school or instructors....focus was somewhat ok....

adderall XR - first day it felt like i smoked weed....just like with strattera.....after then it worked normal....i feel rly focus, much more focus than the drugs listed above. i felt like it did help towards school mayb noticed a %15 increase than the ones listed above this one. but still wasn't enough. this was the last A.D.D drug i tried....i started to believe that even though i have A.D.H.D maybe a.d.d drugs aren't what i need. maybe these amazing A+ havard students or maybe humanbeings can be a better advanced student by simply being more calmer/relaxed than being very focus/concentrated...so thats where after paxil i moved to xanax.

paxil - it completely stopped me from thinking, it kept my head blank....it helped through school very little. i was able to talk a lot more....and wasn't afraid to talk to anyone, not even stranger....it was an amazing experience i never thought i would have, and this coming from a shy person. but still it didn't help me in school.

xanax (alpra version) - umm so far during school, i seem to be comprehending really well in some cases. i feel this drug has helped me in school at least 40% more than any of the other drugs listed above.. I seem to understand things a tiny/bit more. almost like if school turned easy...but still hard depending on the teachers you pick in college. I'm not sure if i should stay on this for the rest of the semester or ask my doctor for something else that works similar like xanax.....i'm thinking that a relaxer/calmer could be a better alternative for me rather than a.d.d drugs where they are made to focus/concentrate very hard....the after effects of xanax is something i like. it makes me competitive and i feel organized enough to just get everything done quickly and ahead of time.

any comments?
anything you tried that you thought made a big impact towards school for you? if so please list it, ill keep it in mind and discuss it with my doctor.

jrob
04-04-09, 02:18 AM
I started my ADD treatment with methylphenidate (ritalin) but i ended up switching to adderall after about 10 days. I really didn't give it enough of a chance and my dose was too high; I'm going to go back and try it again in the future. The reason i mention it to you is because, as well as improving my focus, it had bit of a calming/relaxing effect for me, you'll have to check with others to see if they report the same thing.

Adderall worked well for me in school by helping me focus but I was still having issues with staying calm/relaxed (as i've always had). It was also hard to take enough Adderall to get its full effect; there was too much peripheral stimulation.

My doctor decided that we'd try taking a dose of clonidine with my 2nd and 3rd dose of adderall (I use IR). Some people use clonidine on its own in treating specific ADHD symptoms but others use it in conjunction with a stimulant. I've been using it as a sleep aid for a while and it's worked well. I've only been using it with adderall for a few days but it seems to be a big help. The medication itself seems to be quite mild, and it's effects mostly physical, but it still gives me a noticeable calming feeling without interfering with the positive effects of adderall. After more trial time, i'll post about it on the clonidine (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33) section of the forum. It can't hurt to try and it's quite inexpensive so there's no big loss.

Universal
04-04-09, 09:20 AM
yeah. my goal is to find a drug that is going to rly put me out there in school. and really give me them A's. i wanna function like one of those A's students from cambridge/havard or yale..... i actually have a friend who goes to cambridge university which is a harder school to get in to than yale and havard combined.... i think hes a little hyper but hes comprehension is amazing, like he understands everything and anything....ima have to interview him a little more next time he comes online... i wan't to rly be a alpha , not a beta =[ lol

RedSkittles
04-13-09, 06:47 PM
Hey there. I've tried three perscribed drugs none of them were ones that you mentioned, but one out of the 3 worked.

Conserta-- My first med and i hated it! I got it when I was 7yo and it made me eat about one chicken nugget a day and a juice box. My psycologist said I would out grow the side afects, but when I was in 4th grade i was 56 lb, so my normal docter told me to "drop the drugz"

Focaline-- my second med i took. On my second time being diagnosed, my psyciatrist was debating between focaline and dexetrine, so he prescribed me for both and i could try both and see which i like better. Focaline is super expencive and made me tierd and starved me all day (not as bad as conserta, though). Since we already experienced this with conserta, and focaline is too expencive; we dicided to yet again "drop the drugz".

Dexetrine-- my third med, and my best med. On my first tri i managed to get all A's and two B's, On my second tri I got all A's and one B! This was the best report card in my LIFE all because of dex. We are on the third tri and saddly I keep forgetting to take my meds in the morning. my grades are slipping because of this and there are many things i don't understand. curently I have all B's and cant pull myself together. Dex also gives my eating effects, but its not too bad and i can controll myself and force myself to eat.

ecu20
04-13-09, 10:25 PM
xanax (alpra version) - umm so far during school, i seem to be comprehending really well in some cases. i feel this drug has helped me in school at least 40% more than any of the other drugs listed above.. I seem to understand things a tiny/bit more. almost like if school turned easy...but still hard depending on the teachers you pick in college. I'm not sure if i should stay on this for the rest of the semester or ask my doctor for something else that works similar like xanax.....i'm thinking that a relaxer/calmer could be a better alternative for me rather than a.d.d drugs where they are made to focus/concentrate very hard....the after effects of xanax is something i like. it makes me competitive and i feel organized enough to just get everything done quickly and ahead of time.

any comments?
anything you tried that you thought made a big impact towards school for you? if so please list it, ill keep it in mind and discuss it with my doctor.

quick word of advice. Xanax is the name for generic alprazolam, a benzodiazapine. Benzodiazapines are known for their effects of sedation and inhibitory effects, much like a buzz of downing a couple beers. Many frequently report lesser memory retention (mild to moderate) in regards to the timeframe of being "on" benzos.

Universal
04-18-09, 03:24 PM
Dexetrine-- my third med, and my best med. On my first tri i managed to get all A's and two B's, On my second tri I got all A's and one B! This was the best report card in my LIFE all because of dex. We are on the third tri and saddly I keep forgetting to take my meds in the morning. my grades are slipping because of this and there are many things i don't understand. curently I have all B's and cant pull myself together. Dex also gives my eating effects, but its not too bad and i can controll myself and force myself to eat.

yeah i heard about dex, i met some dude @ work who worked at my job for 2 days for a special event and he was taking dex. and he said he got his bachelors degree like a piece of cake. i might look foward trying that after i get ritalin on tuesday hopefully which i wanted to try.

quick word of advice. Xanax is the name for generic alprazolam, a benzodiazapine. Benzodiazapines are known for their effects of sedation and inhibitory effects, much like a buzz of downing a couple beers. Many frequently report lesser memory retention (mild to moderate) in regards to the timeframe of being "on" benzos.

thats crazy bro, are you serious? ;x i wanna keep my memory not lose it =[ only benzo does this or alpra aswell ?