View Full Version : B1 selective beta blockers (metoprolol)

chrissaleen
04-04-09, 08:49 PM
Long before I started getting RX for ADD, I had anxiety, panic attacks and palpitations. My heart was pounding in my chest all day and all night. When I started wellbutrin, then vyvanse It did not get worse. It wasn't until I was given mucinex-D and prednisone that my heart really started pounding.
so my PCP set me up with a Holter monitor for 24 hour recording of my heartbeat. Doc told me my heart is fine but has an extra beat every once in a while. Even when I pushed the mark button on the recorder, doctor said my heart looked fine. Turns out the decongestant and especially the prednisone were causing me alot of the palpitations. I was off the decongestant and prednisone for a while but still had a pounding heartbeat. It drove me crazy. So now I take 25mg of metoprolol.
split in half with food twice a day. The palpitations are for the most part completely gone. My BP and HR are down. Before I started ADD meds my BP and HR were around 135/85 to 140/90 HR was about 76-80. That did not change much after I started ADD meds, in fact my BP went down. After I started the beta blocker, my BP/HR are around 127/65 HR is 65 So this beta blocker is making me feel so much better, sleeping better, falling asleep easier because my heart is not pounding while I am trying to fall asleep.

Also my anxiety is down quite a bit too. I just wanted to post here about my experience so far with beta blockers. Since there are no post on beta blockers as of late. I am feeling really great. better than I have in over a year. :)

hollywood
05-13-09, 11:06 AM
is guafacine or tenex a beta blocker, I'm on wellbutrin and concerta and my attention and motivation are good, but I get muscle twitches and palpatations sometimes. Is a beta blocker or tenex the same? and do they interfere with focus and attention, and improve sleep? Or would cymbalta be in the same category with more uses?

chrissaleen
05-13-09, 11:51 AM
tenax is.. is an agonist of the alpha-2a subtype of norepinephrine receptors , which works in the brain. B1 beta blocker like lopressor (metorpolo) work on just the heart and the kidneys. Did you have muscle twitches before starting wellbutrin and concerta? Tenax lowers blood pressure like lopressor but with a different mechanism.
I would talk to you doctor about the palpitations, and twitches. Lopressor does help me with sleep. I tried cymbalta and was up all night . I never took it again.

hollywood
05-13-09, 01:30 PM
cymbalta makes me sleep like a child, added wellbutrin along with my stims and was a bit better but cut the cymbalta short and am really unsure how the results would have been

willwill30
05-29-09, 02:26 PM
Long before I started getting RX for ADD, I had anxiety, panic attacks and palpitations. My heart was pounding in my chest all day and all night. When I started wellbutrin, then vyvanse It did not get worse. It wasn't until I was given mucinex-D and prednisone that my heart really started pounding.
so my PCP set me up with a Holter monitor for 24 hour recording of my heartbeat. Doc told me my heart is fine but has an extra beat every once in a while. Even when I pushed the mark button on the recorder, doctor said my heart looked fine. Turns out the decongestant and especially the prednisone were causing me alot of the palpitations. I was off the decongestant and prednisone for a while but still had a pounding heartbeat. It drove me crazy. So now I take 25mg of metoprolol.
split in half with food twice a day. The palpitations are for the most part completely gone. My BP and HR are down. Before I started ADD meds my BP and HR were around 135/85 to 140/90 HR was about 76-80. That did not change much after I started ADD meds, in fact my BP went down. After I started the beta blocker, my BP/HR are around 127/65 HR is 65 So this beta blocker is making me feel so much better, sleeping better, falling asleep easier because my heart is not pounding while I am trying to fall asleep.

Also my anxiety is down quite a bit too. I just wanted to post here about my experience so far with beta blockers. Since there are no post on beta blockers as of late. I am feeling really great. better than I have in over a year. :)

I can agree with the benefits of beta blockers. I was prescribed Inderal (propranolol) years ago for my anxiety which included a rapid pounding heartbeat, and sometimes angina. The drug totally got rid of those symptoms. The only downside is it did sometimes make me feel weak and lethargic, which is not good for someone with inattentive ADD.

chrissaleen
05-29-09, 02:35 PM
what is your dosage? I take the smallest available dose.. 25 mg per day
extended release... some people take 100 mg extended release per day..

APSJ
05-29-09, 03:22 PM
I can agree with the benefits of beta blockers. I was prescribed Inderal (propranolol) years ago for my anxiety which included a rapid pounding heartbeat, and sometimes angina. The drug totally got rid of those symptoms. The only downside is it did sometimes make me feel weak and lethargic, which is not good for someone with inattentive ADD.

I've been taking propranolol for a few years now, and its been enormously helpful with my social anxiety. I've been taking clonazepam for a really long time, but although it helped me feel less anxious, I still got physical symptoms of anxiety like a rapid heartbeat. A very low dose of propranolol largely solved this.

Unfortunately, I had to lower it further because it started to bring back my asthma(which I hadn't had since I was a kid). The lower dose still helps, but not quite as much.

willwill30
05-29-09, 09:47 PM
what is your dosage? I take the smallest available dose.. 25 mg per day
extended release... some people take 100 mg extended release per day..
I can't even remember what the dosage was, that was about 15 years ago. I was still a teenager then.

APSJ, many people don't know that the common anxiety drugs (Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc.) will actually raise the heart rate. It doesn't pound like a panic attack, but it's still noticeable.

APSJ
05-29-09, 10:18 PM
I can't even remember what the dosage was, that was about 15 years ago. I was still a teenager then.

APSJ, many people don't know that the common anxiety drugs (Xanax, Ativan, Valium, etc.) will actually raise the heart rate. It doesn't pound like a panic attack, but it's still noticeable.

Thats interesting. I've never heard it before. Does it raise it generally or raise the increase in response to stress? My heart rate is fine unless i'm in an anxiety-producing situation, in which case it starts racing.

willwill30
05-29-09, 11:24 PM
Thats interesting. I've never heard it before. Does it raise it generally or raise the increase in response to stress?

Generally. Your heart rate will stay slightly elevated the whole time it's in your system. Many people don't notice it because it beats softly.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_4779921_xanax-side-effects-heart.html

γ-quantum
05-30-09, 06:49 AM
hmm, interesting... the B1 selective beta blocker i am taking (bisoprolol) did not have any effect like 'falling asleep better' or 'being less nervous' on me... i take it for hypertension and sinus tachycardia, and it does have the side-effect of making palpations better, too.
then again, i never had 'cardiac anxiety' or anything; the 'racing heart' was annoying at times, but it doesnt scare me.

i'm really starting to wonder if the beta blocker interfers with my concerta though. maybe i should skip the beta blocker next time and maybe i wont get tired inbetween? hmmm.

chrissaleen
05-30-09, 08:04 AM
hmm, interesting... the B1 selective beta blocker i am taking (bisoprolol) did not have any effect like 'falling asleep better' or 'being less nervous' on me... i take it for hypertension and sinus tachycardia, and it does have the side-effect of making palpations better, too.
then again, i never had 'cardiac anxiety' or anything; the 'racing heart' was annoying at times, but it doesnt scare me.

i'm really starting to wonder if the beta blocker interfers with my concerta though. maybe i should skip the beta blocker next time and maybe i wont get tired inbetween? hmmm.

you have to slowly lower your beta blocker dosage,,, if you dont you increase your risk for heart attack. talk to your doctor before you change your dosage.

γ-quantum
05-30-09, 12:29 PM
you have to slowly lower your beta blocker dosage,,, if you dont you increase your risk for heart attack. talk to your doctor before you change your dosage.

that's almost impossible - while 10mg of bisoprolol is the standard dose, i am already on 2.5mg only, as i react really strongly to it - it's a hassle breaking those tiny little 5mg tabs (they weight 89mg, less than a tenth of a gram, and are 5.6mm in diameter) into two, but i really dont know if i could break them into four... maybe with a magnifying glass? :confused:

thanks for the advice, though - it is true that just quitting / skipping a beta-blocker can be dangerous, especially if you've taken a high dose for a longer time. beta blockers block the beta receptors on the heart, and in return, more beta-receptors are "set up" to make up for it. so, if you quit a beta-blocker all of a sudden, all the beta-receptors are free and are being occupied by adrenaline again, which can lead to a severe hypertensive crisis.

i've skipped the beta blocker a couple of times already though, and nothing much happens exept for mild sinustachycardia... i do have the equipment to measure blood pressure, heart rate and ecg at home though.
i dont recommend just skipping medication to anybody.