View Full Version : Dry mouth -> tongue sores?

gnbeg
04-07-09, 03:04 PM
Sheesh, if it's not one thing it's something else. I'm struggling with tongue sores (I guess they are canker sores), primarily at the tip of my tongue. Could these sores be caused by the dry mouth (side effect of Adderall/Lamactil/Seroquel)?

I grind my teeth at nigh and have use a night guard. Wonder if that is the cause and not dry mouth?

Anyone else getting tongue sores?

stillfightin
04-07-09, 04:26 PM
i get the occasional canker soar and my dentist gave me some dental paste to put on at night - its a cortisol cream based thing - it works like a charm.

pADDyjay
04-07-09, 04:43 PM
Sheesh, if it's not one thing it's something else. I'm struggling with tongue sores (I guess they are canker sores), primarily at the tip of my tongue. Could these sores be caused by the dry mouth (side effect of Adderall/Lamactil/Seroquel)?

I grind my teeth at nigh and have use a night guard. Wonder if that is the cause and not dry mouth?

Anyone else getting tongue sores? when I did take adderall for a short time, I did get cankers on the tip of my tongue also...ech...

Purewolf
06-09-09, 02:24 AM
Yes, everytime i take adderall i clench my jaw, and move my tongue around in my mouth constantly. And everytime i wake up the next day my tongue is sore, and have canker sores as well, I actually have them right now as im typing. :p

Lisa.naturegirl
07-11-09, 09:17 PM
:p Hi I just registered bec of your post. I am taking dexedrine for the 2nd go around, and within only a few days am clenching my teeth, and have soars on my tongue and in my mouth, and they are getting worse :confused:
It irritates me that this is not mentioned in the side effects, because clearly it is one.
Anyone figure out why or how to stop that from happening?

gnbeg
07-13-09, 11:24 AM
:p Hi I just registered bec of your post. I am taking dexedrine for the 2nd go around, and within only a few days am clenching my teeth, and have soars on my tongue and in my mouth, and they are getting worse :confused:
It irritates me that this is not mentioned in the side effects, because clearly it is one.
Anyone figure out why or how to stop that from happening?

I haven't figured out a way to keep the dry mouth and sores from occurring. Very frustrating and the thought of ending some of my medication because of this side effect has crossed my mind.

Here's what has helped the most:

Sugar free gum. This helps keep my mouth from getting too dry. It also helps reduce the tongue sores.
Mouth sore mouth wash. Can get from just about any store like Walgreens, Walmart, Target, etc. Swish the stuff morning and night.
If the mouthwash isn't an option, or can't wait to get to the store, then swishing with salt water does help.
Trying to keep hydrated, plenty of water through the day.
Take a holiday from your medication. Helps give your body, and mouth, a little bit of a break from the dryness.

I have not found anything that completely solves the problem. I've reduced my Adderall XR dosage with the hope that it would help. Helps a little but not as much as I hoped.

The other side effect that drives me crazy is dry eyes, but that discussion is probably for another tread.

Good luck.

jimi947
06-07-12, 12:16 AM
I joined because of this post too. I recently began taking Lamictal and Aderall and now I have tongue sores. I also clench my toes so much that they hurt at the end of the day.

Unmanagable
06-07-12, 01:04 AM
I deal a lot with the dry mouth issue. I try to keep a huge water bottle or sugarless gum, mints, or fruits handy (especially cubed watermelon, orange slices, pineapple, etc.) to try to help with that.

I don't have tongue sores as a side effect of the meds, but I do often bite the damn thing, or the inside of my cheek, while I'm talking or eating and it hurts like he!!. I found this amazing liquid stuff that comes in a small jar (.33 oz) w/ a blue lid called Kanka. (just a little larger than a tube of chap stick) It's active ingredient is benzocaine. It numbs the area and provides a light protective coating. They tend to heal more quickly, too.

Slo-mo a-go-go
06-07-12, 06:48 AM
For me, zoloft has been the dry mouh culprit. I take 60mg adderall IR & don't notice it adding to my "sahara" mouth.

Sore tongue issues mean B-vit defecienies for me. I have it now bc I forgot to take my supplements for the past 2 days!

hjajck
06-07-12, 08:38 AM
I get canker sores ocasionally, but haven't noticed anything new with Adderall. If they become too painful, I use orajel to numb them. I use the same as the above posters for dry mouth. Lots of water, gatorade, gum, etc. Also, eating fruit with a high water content has seemed to help. Watermelon and apples, specifically. Not sure if you like fruit, but it has helped me. :)

Here's a chart with fruit water content:

http://www.ca.uky.edu/enri/pubs/enri129.pdf

Seafair
08-19-12, 01:32 AM
I joined because of this post too. I recently began taking Lamictal and Aderall and now I have tongue sores. I also clench my toes so much that they hurt at the end of the day.

I also registered just to add to this "mouth sore" post, and I'm sorry for your misery.

I've taken Lamictal for quite some time -- both solo and in combination with a variety of other Rx including dexedrine, (adderall now after shortage); Wellbutrin, Xanex, etc. and after trial and error discovered where the generics for both Lamictal and Wellbutrin resulted in mouth sores. I also believe this must be a common side effect of each because I was shocked when my insurance did not hesitate to approve Drs request for BRAND NAME ONLY refill! After 7-8 years now, insurance still hasn't blinked on brand only request. In the mean time, I rinsed with diluted hyd-peroxide as well as warm salt water for relief. (I think I also tried apple cider vinegar directly on the sores)....

Good luck! :)