View Full Version : "ADHD is a Myth" - Today Show, Australia

Driver
04-08-09, 08:27 PM
The Today Show this morning had a guy declaring ADHD is a myth:

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=799477

Not surprising he thinks it's a myth, he thinks the mind doesn't exist, ergo, mental illnesses therefor cannot exist:

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/ni/comment/psychiatry.pdf

Of course, people oppose this view:

http://www.ratbags.com/rsoles/comment/psychiatry.htm

But whose a Professor at a school of management to say?

http://www.mgsm.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/root/faculty/directory/spillanerobert#background

I think he's just trying to big note himself.

APSJ
04-08-09, 09:32 PM
These things drive me crazy. The 0.000001% of actual psychologists who the media feels the need to give equal time on this is bad enough, but the people with no basis in experience or education who make these decrees are the worst. I've heard both philosophy and law professors opine on the non-existence of ADHD in the past(the former: "these kids just need some discipline", the latter: "it was made up by the drug companies"), but this is the first professor of management I've seen.

The worst thing about these people, many of whom are otherwise so reasonable, is that in this area they feel entitled to pass judgment on virtually the entire medical and psychological professions, not to mention their patients, usually based on something they read in the paper or heard from a friend: "the dr. said my kid had ADD, and medication didn't help him at all, so I know there's no such thing"

I'm going to see if that show will give me equal time for my "managers should do what their employees tell them" theory of management, based on my having known people with stupid managers. I see they just call him "professor" without noting of what. I'm not a professor, so I'll settle for "noted management expert and scholar"
:mad::mad::mad:
Sorry if this post is too argumentative for the forum. I won't be offended if its deleted.

ginniebean
04-09-09, 12:38 AM
Scientology strikes again.. amazing..

Driver
04-09-09, 12:46 AM
The video clip.

http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-AU&brand=ninemsn&vid=8b018469-989e-468a-8c14-c51c8f233787

Kunga Dorji
04-09-09, 03:38 AM
He looks like an armchair philosopher to me.
here is his profile-

http://www.mgsm.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/Internet/root/faculty/directory/spillanerobert#background

Here is his email address if you want to give him a piece of your mind:

Robert.Spillane@mgsm.edu.au.

I will sit on it for 24 hours to allow me to express myself more fully:)

I have this objection to people who feel they can wreck our lives but are not open enough to see the damage they do.

Kunga Dorji
04-09-09, 03:45 AM
He's not even a very good philosopher. All of his ideas are expressed in words borrowed from someone else. This type is all too common- if they dont fall for Szaz it will be Karl Marx, or Milton Friedman. The result is the same in the end- an educated parrot, skilled at rephrasing somebody elses ideas, and basking in the reflected glory of their idol.

Yes we are feeling irritable today :)

Kunga Dorji
04-09-09, 03:53 AM
Furthermore I don't care if he believes in "the mind" or not.

In the end we all depend on our brains to respond to the world and produce our behaviours. Our brains certainly have attributes like attention, irritability, tendancy to anxiety, or negative thoughts. There can be no challenge to the idea that these attributes originate from particular regions or circuits.
There are faults in every other part of the body - why shouldn't there be faults in parts of the brain? The whole argument that we are running is that ADD is a primarily neurological condition that causes secondary pain to the individual who suffers it.
Professor Spillane uses sophistry to avoid dealing with issues he does not want to confront.

Destracted_UK
04-09-09, 07:05 AM
I'm sure they wouldnt have given him the time if he said that ADHD is real. They must have been struggling for news so stuck him on to fill a gap.

It would be great going to see him for help on various conditions. He would just tell you they dont exist!

Genius!

FinallyAnswered
04-09-09, 07:10 AM
Put him in the same category as the nuts who said the Holocaust never happened......

ozchris
04-09-09, 09:09 AM
Very worrying because my Mum saw this and told me she agreed with a lot he was saying.

I guess if ADD doesn't exist parents don't have to feel guilty about missing the diagnoses when their children were young. - they shouldn't feel this way but I know my Mum does (or used to, if she doesn't believe in ADD anymore :S)

cwatca
04-09-09, 11:01 AM
The Today Show this morning had a guy declaring ADHD is a myth:

http://today.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=799477

Not surprising he thinks it's a myth, he thinks the mind doesn't exist, ergo, mental illnesses therefor cannot exist

These type of people bug me. They make me wonder sometimes if it exists. I think it does.

Here is his email address if you want to give him a piece of your mind:

Robert.Spillane@mgsm.edu.au.

I will sit on it for 24 hours to allow me to express myself more fully:)

I feel like I want to give him a piece of my mind now. But I think like you I will think my thoughts out so that I can express myself better if I do.

Old School MBD
04-09-09, 11:24 AM
The Auzzie Today Show is simply looking for ratings thru sesnationalism. I am 40, and should be the poster child for ADHD (called Minimal Brain Disfunction when I was first diagnosed)

cwatca
04-09-09, 01:06 PM
I wasn't diagnosed till I was 19-20, and before I was diagnosed, lazy, stupid, crazy, and many other words, was and still is how I'm being labeled, and being diagnosed it was like an answer. It's like 'I now know why I act the way I do or why I am the way I am', I thought... 'maybe I'm not lazy or stupid, I definitely think I still think I'm crazy, but the reason I am like that is because I am ADHD

Reading about his beliefs makes me think that if ADHD is a myth and doesn't exist, then I think that means I'm back to where I started... feeling like I'm lazy, stupid, and crazy

ADHD and many kinds of 'invisible' learning disabilities do exist and affect the lives of thousands and thousands of people. We are not a myth!

firstdesserts
04-09-09, 03:41 PM
I may not be able to describe what a logical fallicy is but I know it when I see it. I wonder if one even needs a brain to engage in cirular reasoning.

RedSkittles
04-10-09, 01:22 AM
WARNING-- I am ranting so if you agree with the docter (pft!) then you may get offended. I'll just be his devil's advocate... Quote: There is no way, scientific or medical, that a child can be tested for ADHD, there is therefore no way that it can be medically proven. The diagnosis is totally subjective - we can run X-rays for broken bones to provide a definitive and conclusive answer, we can check blood pressure to see if levels are high or low, insulin levels can be monitored to determine whether someone suffers from diabetes but there is no medical test for ADHD, because it is a behavioural issue.

Okay, so only the first paragraph in and he is already incorrect-- Ever heard of a brain scan??? Durduhdurr!!! :D

Seven percent of Australian kids have been diagnosed with ADHD, with NSW and the ACT leading the nation. Up to 80 000 children within Australia are being treated with drugs, and children as young as two years old are being diagnosed.

Ding! little red flag going up! Okay, where is he getting his facts? if australia knew ANYTHING about ADHD they wouldn't diagnose at 2 but rather 7 or 8 (which i bet australia isn't actually diag. at 2yo. He's probably just spitting out random lies) Like seriously, if a 2yo. walked in they wouldn't give them a diag. let alone meds (which is probably illegle anyways...) unless they are complete idiots-- Which is why i think he is lying... australia isn't that ignorant.
</p>Any ways, moving along... Overactive children are simply starved of stimulation. They get bored when their stimulation levels are too low, and therefore seek this stimulus via other means. The onus is on adults - parents, carers and teachers - to provide and facilitate a more stimulating learning environment.

Wow. that would be why it is called ADHD... duh. my psychologist explained that with ADDers our neurotransmitters are too low or too high often. I dont know, he used lots of big words that made no freaking sence... but I do know that if you randomly went up to a teacher and asked to go in a "simulating learning environment" the would either a. think you are crazy or b. think your trying to get out of school work. Also-- brain scans proved an inbalance of some chemicals in the brain. This is were the symptoms come from. :p

A study by Gregory Fabiano of the University of Buffalo, published in the Clinical Psychology Review says, "We now know that ADHD is a lifelong condition." But Professor Spillane says this is "rubbish, deeply misleading and flawed".
sooo... you'r saying that ADHD is NOT a lifelong condition?? Yes, I understand that if you have hyperactivity as a child you will likely outgrow it as you age, but 90 times out of 100 (sorry, made up the statistics), if you have ADHD you will probably keep you'r inatentiveness. So-- we are eather faking it or picking up habits?? Hmmm... Odd, never knew that i didnt have ADHD all my life. seriously though, okay, so the "H" in ADHD wears off as you age, refrain from using "DEEPLY" misleading when all your doing is exagerating, "Professor" Spillane.
The theory that a chemical imbalance exists in children holds absolutely no merit, as this cannot be measured - there is absolutely no way that science can test or detect chemical balances or imbalances.

K then, going back to his theory that this is no test-- There is. I'm tierd of explaining this one, so here... http://www.webmd.com/add-adhd/news/20031204/brain-scans-reveal-adhd-differences
If a child is acting in a way that displeases parents and teachers, society will label that child as "sick". If kids annoy or irritate other people, they are in danger of being labelled "ill". We are simply labelling children whose behaviour is unsavoury or unfavoured as sick, and this is unwarranted. So called "professionals" are focussing on behaviour that displeases parent, teachers etc, rather than that which is a proven medical condition. Basically, the diagnosis is a comparison between extroverted kids, and quieter or less extroverted kids.
Okay, before i was angry, now im just hurt. I'll translate what he just said, or what i think he said (who knows with this wacko?)... Kids that are "sick" and "ill" are ADHD?? I dont know, correct me if im wrong, but thats what it translates to me. So I'm guessing he is one of thoughs people who think that ADHD isn't real and is just a "lable" For lazy, stupid outcasts. I see. :rolleyes:
The definition of an illness is very important in this case. ADHD cannot be deemed an illness or condition per se, because an illness / condition can be medically and biologically tested consistently, with same findings seen to occur in each subject. This does not happen with ADHD. There are no blood tests which can prove or disprove this - there are no finite measures.
*sigh* someone didn't do his homework... the deffinition of a disability (which i guess is what he's talking about when he says "ill") states that a disability is difficulty with one or more daily life activity's. I find that ADHD is a disability, difficulty learning?? Getting a job?? It is still not determained weather or not ADHD is a disability or not, there are still arguement. I for one, think it is depending on the extent of your "disability." Peace out, -Katie

Kunga Dorji
04-10-09, 02:53 AM
The other thing that really angers me about his attitude is the lie he perpetuates that the ADHD diagnosis is all about controlling troublesome children. What a cartful of arrogant rubbish.

When we were struggling with our daughter's behaviour ( ADD inattentive with an oppositional bent)- control was the LAST thing we wanted. What we saw was a deeply distressed child in a high acheiving but loving family who was falling behind in her schoolworkand struggling in all her social relationships. We had a deeply distressed girl on our hands- we did not know what was wrong, ADHD was the last thing on our minds. We could see our beloved daughter slipping into despair and drug use as a teenager and did not have a clue what we could do to stop the slide.

With time- and the good luck to find some good source material we perceived that ADHD was the real issue - not only in our daughter but also in myself. A combination of medication, fish oil, some remedial lessons for my daughter, and my taking a good hard look at the way my attention issues had sabotaged my best efforts as aparent- and here we are in a new and happy world.

The diagnosis is SO not about control- it is aboout having the courage and love to help a struggling child or adult.

Driver
04-10-09, 09:39 AM
Personally I think the guy's a **** - he's a philosopher that thinks in black & white terms and logical falacies.

My biggest beef is that the Today Show gave this guy air time without doing a background or credibility check. They simply called him a 'professor', and he declared himself to be a psychologist.

mctavish23
04-11-09, 05:02 PM
same ol' same ol' bfd

I'm usually tickled to see these people make fools of themselves on tv.

None of these people are ever licensed,because it's unethical to lie to the public.

It's also fraudulent to capitalize off of misleading or untrue information.

All of the above fly in the face of "Do No Harm."

(IMO),the "best" part for me is that are usually associated with a cult founded by a

diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic,with an alien landing strip outside their international

headquarters.

It would be fun to slap a 72 hour hold on him for being delusion...lol.

Oh well, remember to take things like this in stride.

They're good for entertainment purposes.

I do wish the media would present more balanced presentations,rather than the usual

"Two Headed Baby Sniffs Glue," kind of thing.

Besides,for all we know, BIGFOOT is a closet Scientologist.

As one of my favorite comedians Jon Lovitz, is so fond of saying :

"Hmmm. Yeah, "That's the ticket."

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

APSJ
04-12-09, 04:58 PM
For some reason I felt drawn back to this thing after my outrage subsided. I figured I should actually read it through carefully, and that it was probably more substantive than my initial post gave it credit. That was not the case.

What is this guy's angle? A quick google search is all it takes to determine that this theory is nonsense, so one has to assume he didn't feel that level of research was warranted. Perhaps he was invited on the show, and realized he didn't have anything to talk about, and drew up this theory in their waiting room?

Just one example:
"The diagnosis is totally subjective - we can run X-rays for broken bones to provide a definitive and conclusive answer, we can check blood pressure to see if levels are high or low, insulin levels can be monitored to determine whether someone suffers from diabetes but there is no medical test for ADHD"

Uh...yeah..no blood test, so no disorder. So those profoundly autistic kids who can't speak...they're just too lazy to talk I guess? and those kids with so called "cerebral palsy" just need to be told to get more excercise. After all, there couldnt' be anything "medically" wrong with either group, as there's no blood test or similar diagnostic tool. Of course, brain imaging might show some differences, but then, that's true for ADHD too.

This theory of the good professors opens up whole no approaches to these fake disorders. For example, I bet few doctors take the time to explain to their epileptic patients that their seizures are inappropriate behavior.

Kunga Dorji
04-12-09, 06:25 PM
As McTavish says the real disappointment is that a popular TV show should choose to air this rubbish.
Let us not forget though that the real function of the commercial media is to "deliver to their advertisers the listening public/readership in a mood conducive to spending money"- truth doesn't enter into it- it never has and never will.

mctavish23
04-13-09, 01:40 PM
fyi,

The "no blood test" mantra has been around & refuted many times over a span of

many years.

NOWHERE does it say there must be a blood test for ADHD.

There's no blood test for Bipolar Disorder,or cure for the common cold.

All of this has been debated in the past,so Professor Dillweed's complaint isn't even

original.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Driver
04-13-09, 08:18 PM
There's no blood test for cancer either.

I just hate this guys thinking: if it can't be proven true, then it can't be true. Too closed minded for a philosopher.

BJC81
04-13-09, 10:04 PM
Ok I could only watch 1 minuet of this guy. I can not stand people like him.:mad:

zarazz
04-13-09, 11:52 PM
This guy has absolutely no clue..what so ever!

I am glad about one thing here...that he isn't an American, the last thing we need is more arrogant, ignorant, idiots.

It was kinda funny when she obviously was told to cut the guy off and even made the comment that they would get a swarm of emails about his dim witted conspiracy theories.

Arwen
04-14-09, 06:21 AM
Wow I read those articles, and it's exactly what people are telling me. I mean I don't know why I'm getting convinced by them all. I keep getting told I'm just a pain, just disorganised, don't care, stupid at some things etc.

I know I should get a brain of my own but It's so hard.

*KJ*
04-14-09, 11:42 AM
I didn't even read the articles...the thread title was enough to tell me it was a HUGE waste of my time...

But I had to post because you guys crack me up!

(IMO),the "best" part for me is that are usually associated with a cult founded by a diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic,with an alien landing strip outside their international headquarters.

Wouldn't it be funny if tomorrow there was a piece on the same show about the noteworthy professor that reported the above information... someone should send something into the show's tip line, LOL!

This theory of the good professors opens up whole new approaches to these fake disorders. For example, I bet few doctors take the time to explain to their epileptic patients that their seizures are inappropriate behavior.

OMG! I nearly peed my pants!!!!!

I know I should get a brain of my own but It's so hard.

Since you are lacking one, I will excuse you, but since the good professor has one, he should be well aware of the fact that you need to see the All Mighty Oz for this!

You guys, like McTavish said...purely entertainment...if it's gonna get you so upset...don't waste your time. I know it's infuriating, but he's only one grain of sand on the beach, ya know...not everyone is of the same opinion, and clearly some are a little more intellectually challenged!

ADHDTigger
04-14-09, 12:37 PM
*KJ* it is so refreshing to have you here. I know that you are a parent of a child with ADHD but as far as I know, don't have it yourself. To have a non-ADHD come to the table as supportive as you is lovely, just lovely!

darkland8
04-14-09, 08:30 PM
ADD/ADHD Scientific Discussions - ADHD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community (http://www.addforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=310)

if you have a gaia account want to help beat the dead horse? at the moment people are debating about the existence of ADHD and calling us total F***-tards

mctavish23
04-15-09, 08:25 PM
Truthfully,ADHD is the most widely researched childhood disorder on earth.

Recently, the first study on what we now call ADHD was pushed back from 1902,

all the way back to 1798.

Currently, we're rapidly approaching 10K + research articles, books, chapters in books,

professional papers,etc.

ADHD is recognized as a valid disorder the world over.

So personally ( and professionally) I love it when these sh_t 4brains try and come off

with superior attitudes,etc.

The only really "lazy" people I know are the one's that don't read a word of research.

I like to refer to them as "walking paradoxes (simultaneously arrogant & ignorant)."

In closing, try and remain mindful of the fact that they're the one's with the problem,

not us.

We can treat our neurobiological disorder.

There's no treatment for stupidity.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

*KJ*
04-16-09, 09:08 AM

aint dat da truf! :p

RedSkittles
04-16-09, 10:07 AM
same ol' same ol' bfd

I'm usually tickled to see these people make fools of themselves on tv.

None of these people are ever licensed,because it's unethical to lie to the public.

It's also fraudulent to capitalize off of misleading or untrue information.

All of the above fly in the face of "Do No Harm."

(IMO),the "best" part for me is that are usually associated with a cult founded by a

diagnosed Paranoid Schizophrenic,with an alien landing strip outside their international

headquarters.

It would be fun to slap a 72 hour hold on him for being delusion...lol.

Oh well, remember to take things like this in stride.

They're good for entertainment purposes.

I do wish the media would present more balanced presentations,rather than the usual

"Two Headed Baby Sniffs Glue," kind of thing.

Besides,for all we know, BIGFOOT is a closet Scientologist.

As one of my favorite comedians Jon Lovitz, is so fond of saying :

"Hmmm. Yeah, "That's the ticket."

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Thank you sooooo much mctavish23 for this post!! you know, it seems like people who say this on TV just want attention, yet it lowers our rep (like we have much to begin with!) and makes us look like lying fakers.

*KJ*
04-16-09, 02:46 PM
I wouldn't come to that conclusion.

Sure some people may get their information about ADHD (as well as other things) only from this type of source...but look what that says about that type of person. Any one that lives at least 1/2 time outside of a cave will have more of a clue than these people...don't let it bother you...anyone with more than 2-3 neurons firing will see threw this.

Some people look for trouble, some people are narrow minded, and some people don't care...tomorrow they'll be spouting off about something else...like PMS or Autism or postpartum-deptression or something...

just smile and look away...like Mctavish said...there's no cure...

mctavish23
04-16-09, 09:02 PM
Okay, so like BIGFOOT isn't a closet Scientologist ?

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

darkland8
04-16-09, 10:55 PM
i always though a good whack to the back of the head would fix things... and even when that doesn't work you leave feeling great =D

ADHDKylee
04-16-09, 11:30 PM
Evidently this guy just wants to feel better with himself and has never had to live with a mental disorder, or a child or family member that has one. If ADHD is a myth, is Diabetes a myth too? Is Autism? Is Downs Syndrome? People seriously need to think before they speak in front of large audiences

RedSkittles
04-17-09, 02:06 AM
Evidently this guy just wants to feel better with himself and has never had to live with a mental disorder, or a child or family member that has one. If ADHD is a myth, is Diabetes a myth too? Is Autism? Is Downs Syndrome? People seriously need to think before they speak in front of large audiences

He thinks all mental illnesses are fake; including autism and downsyndrom. not only that-- he wrote an article about how the brain was invented by homer -.-

Driver
04-17-09, 02:14 AM
He thinks all mental illnesses are fake; including autism and downsyndrom. not only that-- he wrote an article about how the brain was invented by homer -.-

Down Syndrome is a chromosomal disorder; it's easily diagnosed with amniocentesis (DNA testing the amniotic fluid at pregnancy).

meadd823
04-17-09, 03:13 AM
Furthermore I don't care if he believes in "the mind" or not.

I feel many of these types of parrots do not believe in the mind because to them it doesn’t exist – meaning they haven’t a mind of their own to believe in.

Then there is the painfully obvious fact of life

So personally ( and professionally) I love it when these sh_t 4brains try and come off

with superior attitudes,etc.

The only really "lazy" people I know are the one's that don't read a word of research.

I like to refer to them as "walking paradoxes (simultaneously arrogant & ignorant)."

In closing, try and remain mindful of the fact that they're the one's with the problem,

not us.

We can treat our neurobiological disorder.

tc

mctavish23

Ya can't fix stupid - one of my favorite quotes, love the filter bypass too but don't tell Andrew! :o

There arguments are very easy to see though and they use the same ones

There is no medical test for ADD - There isn't any medical test for love, hate, greed, envy, or compassion either but only a moron would deny they exist.

If a child is acting in a way that displeases parents and teachers, society will label that child as "sick". If kids annoy or irritate other people, they are in danger of being labelled "ill". We are simply labelling children whose behaviour is unsavoury or unfavoured as sick, and this is unwarranted. So called "professionals" are focussing on behaviour that displeases parent, teachers etc, rather than that which is a proven medical condition. Basically, the diagnosis is a comparison between extroverted kids, and quieter or less extroverted kids.

Okay, before i was angry, now im just hurt. I'll translate what he just said, or what i think he said (who knows with this wacko?)... Kids that are "sick" and "ill" are ADHD?? I dont know, correct me if im wrong, but thats what it translates to me. So I'm guessing he is one of thoughs people who think that ADHD isn't real and is just a "lable" For lazy, stupid outcasts. I see.

which doesn't even come close to addressing - inattentive ADD which doesn't cause disruptive behavior

ADD in adults

why ignorant people are ask to be guest on TV shows and talk about subjects they do not even comprehend on a basic level

I would ask the producer if it is their goal to be the Jerry Springer of medical information = they will only put people on their show if they are like totally wacko ??

Seven percent of Australian kids have been diagnosed with ADHD, with NSW and the ACT leading the nation. Up to 80 000 children within Australia are being treated with drugs, and children as young as two years old are being diagnosed

Gee I wonder where 2 year olds are being diagnosed ADD - his office possibly seeing he doesn't have a clue what ADD is to begin with.

Millions of children are being treated with drugs - such as antibiotics, Tylenol, I mean what kind of drugs Note lack of specific information this usually means speaker is an idiot and is hoping the listeners are ignorant or equally stupid

The only possible hope for people like this Prof. Spillane is a large tube of KY and a "come-along". {IMHO}

RedSkittles
04-17-09, 11:17 AM
Down Syndrome is a chromosomal disorder; it's easily diagnosed with amniocentesis (DNA testing the amniotic fluid at pregnancy).

doesnt matter. To him the brain doesn't exhist. Down syndrom envolves the brain (i think lol) and what im saying is that to him anything that involves the brain is a myth because supposedly the brain doesnt exhist and it was invented a long time ago, we just don't remember. Wow. IM not even that stupid. Thats saying something cuz im REALLY stupid. lol

mctavish23
04-17-09, 07:43 PM
I came out of a very strict/very serious Behavioral Clinical Psych graduate program &

Internship.

I recall one or two students who used to say that "Cognition doesn't exist."

I was in the midst of my "Mystical Cheech & Chong Phase," at that time,so I had fun

egging them on.

The first time I said this, I swear they didn't get it right away.

Whenever they'd get gung ho on "cognition doesn't exist,only behavior,"

I'd slip in "Damn! You think?"

The first couple of times one of them answered me, and I fell over laughing.

Trust me, it was worth it.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

ozchris
04-22-09, 12:21 AM
This guy was just on abc radio doing his thing :( No one rang up to really challenge his statements unfortunately.

Driver
04-22-09, 01:17 AM
This guy was just on abc radio doing his thing :( No one rang up to really challenge his statements unfortunately.

Are you able to track down a podcast of the show? Was it the Philosopher's Zone? or Life Matters?

ozchris
04-22-09, 06:14 AM
Couldn't find it anywhere. It was on ABC Adelaide with Carole Whitelock

I'm talking about the Australian Broadcasting Cooperation, just incase you were thinking I was talking about the American one.

edit: nope you're driver. thought you were meadd with that avatar :) I don't think they put all the adelaide programs up as podcasts unfortunately.

Driver
04-22-09, 06:58 AM
Couldn't find it anywhere. It was on ABC Adelaide with Carole Whitelock

I'm talking about the Australian Broadcasting Cooperation, just incase you were thinking I was talking about the American one.

edit: nope you're driver. thought you were meadd with that avatar :) I don't think they put all the adelaide programs up as podcasts unfortunately.

Sure it was ABC local and not ABC National?

Calochilus
05-02-09, 08:12 AM
The answer is revealed when you go to the website
http://www.michelleandersonpublishing.com/general_health.html.
Spillane has written a book and has become a media tart to drum up flagging sales. The ******* is a professional flatearther in the pockets of the insurance industry, though how this has any bearing in Australia I buggered if I know. However HMO's in USA might just take notice as his mentor, Yolanda Lucire has an international following.

Kunga Dorji
05-02-09, 07:37 PM
I wouldn't come to that conclusion.

Sure some people may get their information about ADHD (as well as other things) only from this type of source...but look what that says about that type of person. Any one that lives at least 1/2 time outside of a cave will have more of a clue than these people...don't let it bother you...anyone with more than 2-3 neurons firing will see threw this.

Some people look for trouble, some people are narrow minded, and some people don't care...tomorrow they'll be spouting off about something else...like PMS or Autism or postpartum-deptression or something...

just smile and look away...like Mctavish said...there's no cure...

Oh but there is. I am going to make a new thread titled "Dealing with msisinformation in the lay press". This method needs circualting widely.

Calochilus
06-21-09, 12:46 AM
Sure it was ABC local and not ABC National?
There is a link on ABC local Newcastle interviewed by Carol Duncan
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2009/06/16/2599678.htm

Driver
06-21-09, 02:27 AM
There is a link on ABC local Newcastle interviewed by Carol Duncan
http://www.abc.net.au/local/audio/2009/06/16/2599678.htm

w00t She owned him.

ginniebean
06-21-09, 02:47 AM
I notice he became quite defensive when his links to scientology were questioned.

Archon
06-23-09, 09:53 AM

Sadly, it's no paradox. It's a common occurrence. I don't want to share a country with that misanthrope.

What we need to do somehow is to prod Scientology for their opinion on homosexuality. There are some preliminary results (just like with ADHD) that give us clues as to why some people are homosexual but nothing concrete. Scientology would have to back down on their incompatible stance on mental disorders or fall foul of the gay community which would further demonize them.

APSJ
06-23-09, 12:57 PM
I notice he became quite defensive when his links to scientology were questioned.

Yeah, its hard for me to be objective, but I feel like it would be obvious to anyone hearing him insulting the interviewer for asking him to respond to criticism others have made of him that the criticisms likely had merit.

It was also great to hear a reasonable person get the last word for once.

Asylum
11-17-09, 09:07 PM
I didn't use the link, i can't watch these shows, they make me feel so angry and isolated. :( I've stopped watching current affairs shows altogether, they don't present truth or fact. They should just be honest and call themselvs Gossip Shows, or We Don't Care About The People We Hurt When Presenting These Stupid Formats That Anyone Calling Themselves A Proffessional Should Be Ashamed To Be In Anyway Connected With Shows.

fraa
12-01-09, 06:16 AM
Last night on the Colbert Report his guest, who has the otherwise sensible position that schools in the US and parts of Europe are more like prisons promoted the "ADHD diagnosis is about controlling troublesome children" insanity. I started watching the interview with a very bad feeling but I had hope. And of course he smugly dropped the drugging children bomb. And Colbert didn't seem at all troubled. He even joined in with a "it's the pahrmaceutical companies" mantra. Pharma companies may have bad business practices and the TV adevertising of prescription drugs which they have in the US also has some bad consequences, and is controversial, this is just the kind of insanity that will hurt children and promote bigotry that makes me angry. In the end if the only public figures who speak against the prisonification of schools are idiots like him, then this is a lost cause. And not only is he failing that cause, he is also promoting child abuse and bigotry. Brainwashed parents refusing medical help for their children is one of the most disgusting things to me (I mean personally, I'm not saying whether or not it should be legal). I couldn't finish the interview, although I made myself watch in halfway in.

Legault
12-11-09, 12:08 AM
"If it helps, then it helps. That can't be helped, unless something else helps.
I'll listen to you if you can give me something that helps. Unless it doesn't help.".

Rhetorical arguments make up the vast majority of those seen on TV. Glad I haven't watched in years.

Crazygirl79
12-11-09, 01:35 AM
The only thing I have to say here is one this guy has obviously never lived a day as an ADHD person or being around someone with it and two perhaps should ask this ill informed mindless idiot to please explain WHY there are SO MANY people worldwide that are turning up at the therapists office or another health facility exhibting these symptoms that are listed in the ADD/ADHD diagnostic criteria list??

Viceroy
12-14-09, 01:50 PM
I missed the show, but I've talked about this with people before. It's kind of hard for me to be solid about this one way or the other. Basically, I'd say that it is evident these things are going on - that seems obvious; but to the extent of over-diagnoses? That seems to be an issue as well.

I'd take issue with someone saying its a pure myth, but I'd also take issue with anyone who thinks it is correctly being dealt with as a thing that exists...

So, I'm personally stuck - I mean - alot of the children I see labeled as attention deficit seem to just be acting as children >.< When it comes to adult ADD I guess my opinion shifts a bit more...

Archon
12-14-09, 07:25 PM
So in other words, you think everyone is faking it but you :P

mctavish23
12-14-09, 11:17 PM
Unless you yourself have made the diagnosis and know it to be evidence

based, then there's absolutely no way for you ( or anyone else) to refute it.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

fraa
12-15-09, 09:16 AM
http://scienceblogs.com/cortex/2009/12/adhd_and_time.php -- Suprtisingly poorly researched article for someone who writes on this topic. EDIT: I thought only sicentists write on science blogs but apparently he's a journalist, which explains it. (I'm posting this here partly to remember to write a reply when I'm finished procrastinating about it and thinking over and over about which points to make in what order.) Basically he says "brains capch up in size by the end of adolesence, so there is no such thing as adult ADHD and they should just get a grip". Also he seems to misunderstand what the purpose of education is, what thinking is, what ADHD is, what medications do. And on top of that the piece deceptively focused on a percieved priviledge.

Kunga Dorji
12-15-09, 03:51 PM
you know- Robert Spillane knows all about trying to go to sleep with a mosquito in the room. If you find his email at work and drop him a line ( make it sound academic and yourself sound important) he can't help himself.

Kirstie
01-05-10, 07:37 AM
Very worrying because my Mum saw this and told me she agreed with a lot he was saying.

I guess if ADD doesn't exist parents don't have to feel guilty about missing the diagnoses when their children were young. - they shouldn't feel this way but I know my Mum does (or used to, if she doesn't believe in ADD anymore :S)

whilst i dont care what this individual believes unfortunately there are many many people who believe everything they see on TV (if this wasnt the case 'today tonight' would be pulled from the air :)
When i told my mother that i had ADD she told me "ADD is an excuse tha tlazy ppl make up", so i hear you chris.