View Full Version : Any unusually heavy sleepers here?

rmkm
04-09-09, 01:50 PM
I've always been a deep sleeper. It didn't bother me until a year ago since before that I've always lived either with parents or roommates who'd be around to 'shake' me up. They've always reported that waking me up was a major undertaking since:
1. I don't respond to *any* auditory stimulus while asleep
2. I do stir up when shaken properly, even opening my eyes if they kept at it, even sitting up a little if they kept at it longer, but then I'd have fallen asleep again within a minute if they turned their back. BTW, I usually have no recollection of this happening when I'm fully awake.

I also reportedly mumble random things (like 'did the elephant leave?') when initially woken up; I never remember these when fully awake either.

About a year ago, I had to start living alone. As you can imagine I've struggled since then to be up on time every morning. Initially I could never get up. Then I got a Sonic Alarm 'Sonic Boom with Bed Shaker' (its on Amazon). It makes a piercing scream, apart from shaking my pillow violently. And this works... about 70% of the time. The rest of the time, I wake up an hour or 2 later and find the clock mysteriously turned off (I keep it on a stand 3 feet away so I cant reach it from bed) - and I usually have no recollection whatsoever of having done that. I still suspect that its an annoyed neighbor who sneaked in turn it off. And then there are these cases once a month or so when I actually sleep through all the screaming and vibrations for a good hour!

Does anyone else sleep this heavily? If so, what is your coping strategy?

BTW, I'm due to be with my partnet starting next month so I should be up on time more often and will hopefully no longer need the 'boom'. This thread is just out of curiosity.

82insomniac
04-10-09, 06:48 PM
I am a very heavy sleeper. So much so, that my husband was usually the one to get up in the middle of the night with all 3 of my children (1 boy and twin girls) b/c I never heard them cry. I fell asleep on the couch with one of the girls in the baby swing right by my head one night and the next morning my hubby informed me that she was screaming her head off when he came out to get her and I never heard her.

I always have to set multiple alarms and still don't usually wake up, mainly b/c I shut them off (even if they are across the room) and have no memory of doing so. My husband usually sets his phone alarm to wake me up and if he isn't going to be home I have to have someone call me and I turn my ringer all of the way up.

crazycat1990
04-23-09, 06:42 AM
Arrgh! Same here! With the whole alarm thing, the first time it happened vividly sticks in my mind.
Me and my friends were gonna go down to Brighton, and obvously I set my alarm for that morning. I woke up at the time I should have been at the train station! But I didn't hear the alarm go off!
There have also been times where the alarm has gone off, and because I have been in such a deep sleep, I haven't been awake enough to realise what I am doing, and pressed "off" instead of "snooze". It's caused me to be late many a time. It really bugs me and I wanna get it sorted :(
Or I'm still half-dreaming and I am telling myself in the dream to turn it off, or someone or something else is.
It annoys me that my mum says it's cos I've had a late night, when actually I hadn't had a late night, or I've had later nights and got up fine then.

APSJ
04-23-09, 01:46 PM
I have seven alarms, and on many occasions have woken up to find them all turned off, but have no memory of doing it. I've thought about getting an alarm clock that shakes the bed, flies around the room, requires me to solve a puzzle to turn off, etc...but I have a feeling I'd just unplug, smash, or muffle them.