View Full Version : Is ADHD-Bipolar linked in anyway to Schizophrenia.

new at 35
04-13-09, 06:35 PM
The reason why I ask this question is, I was married to a woman who had a schizophrenic son. Our marriage did not last very long. I took them in and tried to treat her the best that I could. I took her with me to my therapist to see if he could help us. After our session, we really did not get anything resolved. He called me back to have a session sooner than normal. He told me that he thought that my wife could be bipolar. He offered a different therapist for her. She in so many word before the final answer told me No. Well it was not long after every morning see would get up before the rooster, and find every thing wrong that I had ever done. By the time I woke up, she would land in on me. I would get home from work and everything was just fine in her mind.

Now the real reason I ask this question is. I met my girlfriend at my twenty year class reunion. Her younger brother is schizophrenic. She is totally oppisite of my ex wife. She is so loving in the morning, but when it becomes later in the evening is when her anger starts. If I don't do everything just right she brings up things from the past.

Is it typical of ADHD with Bipolar after they have been so hatefull and mean to block out the abusive things they do. Both when they have hit me completly don't remember. I am a good size man and very fit. Have been known to be a fighter if another man starts it. But never once have I ever hit a woman. The last time my girlfriend hit me, she hurt me pretty good. I was laying on the couch and she jumped on me and started hitting. All I did was block my face. Neither would take any kind of medication for bipolar. It seemed they were both more violent when drinking.

I am just wondering. Because it is going into the same pattern. My wife threw things at me, and my girlfriend hits me. I have since broke it off with my girlfriend. But both of them when they wanted to be loving. In the short time I was with both (at different times) gave me more love than my first wife of 14 years. I am not 35 anymore and I am not new.

MrJohn
06-03-09, 09:47 PM
I don't know but I'm trying to figure out my wife who has a bipolar diagnoses but I think she is also ADHD and that that's her main problem.

formychildren
12-23-09, 05:43 PM
Well, I don't know facts except what my daughter has gone through.
Dx with ADHD at age 5 or 6 yo-ish... then around 6 yrs of age and during the first yr of meds symptoms of bipolar and schizophrenia were showing up. Voices in her head, having odd thought's and behaviors... around that time her bio dad was dx with Schizo/bipolar and was on mental disability because of this. By the time my daughter was 7 she had those three dx but it seemed to have gone away. We changed insurances/dr's etc so we started back to the beginning as though she was only dx adhd. The med she was on from age 7y-8ish seemed fine and it was only for adhd. By age 9-10 she was rediagnosed with bipolar due to some odd behaviors, emotional up and downs, including suicide and mania- it was hard but overall the schizophranic part never left it was only "sleeping" so it came back along with her bipolar. Thankfully her adhd meds combined with wellbutrin and abilify work wonderfully and she is a lot better know. Sooo, basically yes Adhd can be combined with those disorders as well and there is a light at the end of the tunnel with a lot of work/therapy and med trials, it will get better. Just don't give up!

leapofaith
12-23-09, 08:50 PM
Sounds like you need to take a look into your past and see why you keep picking the same women over and over. I did the same thing. I have never been in a relationship that WASN'T abusive. My childhood was abusive. Over the last few years I have seen a therapist and done alot of self healing work. I can see why and how this seemed to always happen to me. There is alot to be said for self reflection and healing old wounds you didn't even know you had. It will change your life for the better and hopefully lead you to make better choices and end up with someone who is better suited for you.
Good luck!

Trooper Keith
12-23-09, 10:04 PM
Is it typical of ADHD with Bipolar after they have been so hatefull and mean to block out the abusive things they do.

It's typical of humans to block out the abusive things they do. Almost everyone sees themselves through rose-tinted glasses. In many ways and for many people it is necessary for people to live with themselves.

As far as ADHD and bipolar disorder being linked in any way to schizophrenia, I do not believe that there is a connection.