View Full Version : OMFG! I CANT SLEEP! (sry about caps.....that's a lie...I'm not actually sorry =P...)

brueske
04-16-09, 09:31 PM
So, I was wondering if anyone else does what I find myself doing far too often. That is, laying in bed thinking about how cool it would be to fall to sleep, then thinking about how falling asleep must feel (since we never remember the actual falling to sleep in the morning, just the moments before entering sleep) then getting excited about falling asleep and waking up because of the excitement, then rolling over and suppressing the thoughts of the falling asleep part of sleep, then thinking about how much you wish you could sleep, then getting closer....and cloooser.....and clooooser...........then suddenly realizing how close you are, and waking back up:eek:, then repeat:)....and repeat:o....and repeat:mad:......ect.

I've been trying to fall asleep for quite some time, and I can sleep just fine after about 10-20min as long as it's after 12, but when it's that late my roomates are back in my room, and then I'm up untill 2-3am because I just don't feel tired, and I can hang out with them.
I wake up at 7am most mornings, and my adderall keeps me awake fine, but after a few really late nights without much sleep recently, I've begun to feel constantly almost tipsy, and having a spacy brain is not good when I'm already spacy enough. Homework becomes impossible.
Anyway, my question really boils down to this:

Does anyone understand what I'm talking about, and if you do, how do you deal with it?

This lack of sleep is really hurting my grades, and if I could somehow make myself go to bed on time it would be sweet.

Crazybutcute
04-16-09, 11:33 PM
I know exactly how you feel, I have had insomnia even before the adderall but it seems to be making it way worse for me. The lack of sleep alone is bringing out all the unpleasant side effects that can go with the drug: nausea, headaches, anxiety, shakiness...
My Dr. has me on xanax, for anxiety and also for sleep. It helps immensely with both I strongly suggest that you try it! Lack of sleep will literally make you crazy, trust me I know first hand! Also, you could try taking your last dose earlier in the day, or maybe later if it slows you down enough to sleep...just let your doc know what's going on and I'm sure they will have some ideas of how to deal with it. What is currently working for me: xanax! Highly recommend...Good luck

breckskier
04-17-09, 12:48 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I was up until 5am this morning, after waking up at like 6am yesterday. I was awake almost 24 hours. I tried thinking of nothing, like shutting off my mind, but that didn't work. I took advilPM that usually does it for me, but not last night. I woke up at like 10 this morning, getting a whole 5 hours of sleep in the last two days or so.

I usually end up thinking deeply about life and relationships (or lack there of) in the wee hours of the morning. After a thought session like that, I am rarely in a better mood than before all that thinking. The thing is, I have so much extra time, but I feel so out of it, that I end up watching movies or playing video games instead of being productive with my newly found 7 hours. And since I didn't get much sleep last night, I was super unproductive today as well. With the end of the semester coming up, I have so many group projects and presentations due, that I can not go another day without full focus and concentration on my projects.

I didnt even take an adderall yesterday. I think my welbutrin might be causing some insomnia. So sorry no advice here, I can just relate really well. I am hoping I can fall asleep soon and get maybe like 6 hours of sleep before a full day of class tomorrow...

γ-quantum
04-17-09, 04:46 AM
i get the same, sort of... but i only seem to get excited about almost falling asleep, like you described, when i know i need to be up the next day - especially if its for an interesting appointment, something that excites me.

otherwise, its more like:

'hmmm, i'm dead-tired... sooo tired... sleep... yes...'
hmmmwonderifishouldplantthebasilnexttotheparsleyto morrowohandtheboxesaremadeoutofasbestosiwonderifit sdangeroushmmilljustleavealayerofoldsoilinsoidonts cratctheold...
oh wait, sleep!
yeah, tired... me... so... tired...
ohandthepowersocketsineedtosomehowrealignthemhmmwh ichthingneedtogooffatsomepointandwhichthingsarenev erofflikethephonehmmm
etc. etc., i just think of sleeping, think of thinking nothing, and then i go into a random train of thought WITHOUT noticing it. and i'm usually not even worrying - i just think of random stuff, like how im going to plant plants on my balcony the next day, useless stuff like that.

how i cope with it? not at all, there's nothing i can do, it seems. it happens a few times a night as well, not only when falling asleep - also when i wake up due to noise, which happens about 5-10 times a night (actually its not noise, but i wake up on the slightest sound). so, i just sleep in, like, stay in bed for 12 hours and actually sleep 7-8 hours. if i have to get up for something, like today, im screwed. this is also what caused major trouble at school and work - i have NO IDEA how i am ever going to work like this. after a few days getting 3-4 hours sleep a night only, my eyes hurt, and i feel so weak and ill i just CANNOT get up for school/work anymore, so i'd basically only be able to go 3 out of 5 days a week. :(

ndnbutterfly
04-17-09, 09:50 AM
I do the same thing every night. My mind just won't shut off! :mad:

So I just lay in bed and sleep for like 15 or 20 minutes at a time...wake up...think...wish I could sleep...think about falling asleep...repeat.:confused:

I also take Xanax to help with sleep. It works great, but I've heard can be very addictive. So I take the smallest dose possible. I highly recommend it also!

novagal
04-17-09, 10:53 AM
I have the same problem at times. It sounds like you're having problems getting to sleep, and once you're asleep you do fine. If I am really having problems getting to sleep, I'll take melatonin (the chewable kind), and I'm out within ten minutes.

Also, I avoid caffeine after 2:00 or so, (on occasion I'll have some later but I really pay for it!) And I try to have a decompression time before going to bed. A hot shower or bath a little before bed can be helpful as well, it's the drop in body temperature afterwards that can help you feel sleepy. I take my last dose of meds as early as possible in the window of when I need them to work.

Creating a "going to bed" ritual can help with trying to get to bed a little earlier, it's like establishing an excercise ritual but a lot quieter. It really needs to be a habit.

Personally I avoid prescription meds for sleep, and would consider them only as a very last resort because they can create their own set of problems as ndnbutterfly mentioned. I dealt with xanax a few years back, taking it in small doses only for sleep, and built a tolerance very quickly and became totally dependent on it to sleep, had to keep raising the dose and then I'd feel groggy the next day. For me it ended up being a really bad deal. This is only my personal experience.

Trufillo
04-17-09, 11:05 AM
Same deal here. Although I never considered it a very annoying problem, because all my life has been the same way. I usually daydream while "waiting" to fall asleep. If I have nothing to daydream about, think about random stuff without stop, just as said here. When I fall asleep I have no problem, I sleep like a baby. Oddly, if I wake up during the night, I can go to the kitchen, have a glass of water, or eat something, return to bed, and I fall asleep again in matter of few minutes.

AbsentMindProf
04-17-09, 12:07 PM
When something like that happens to me, I find that it helps me to just get up and do something else for a few minutes. Eating a bowl of cereal while reading a book is my usual choice. After 15 minutes or so of that, I try going back to sleep. For me, it seems to be a matter of "rebooting" my thought process so I think about something else.

breckskier
04-17-09, 09:03 PM
Like AbsentMindProf said, I read if I can't seem to fall asleep. It is usually a novel or something that wont get my brain working (like something business related). I will stay lying down, but I will start reading. Usually if I do this, I am out with in 15 minutes or so, plus I get to read something new. I usually don't read, so anytime I read before bed, is about the only time I do so.

wsmac
04-18-09, 02:25 PM
I concur!

There... probably my shortest answer ever... of course this will be followed up by a long drawn-out rambling spewing of meaningless words....:p

Seriously, what I have been toying with the last several months is an app I have on my ipod touch.

It's a meditation app and I select the track where a pleasant sounding lady talks all about calming down, thinking of one thought, concentrating on my breathing, and so on.
There is 'soothing' elevator music in the background and this goes on for 20 minutes.

I just turn it on, have my comfy headphones on, and relax flat on my back in bed.
I find that when I actually get myself to use this program, I can calm down and fall asleep.
I will eventually wake enough to pull off my headphones and drop them on the table next to my bed, then roll over and go back to sleep.

I even used this the other afternoon to try and relax so my back muscles would quit knotting up and hurting from stress.

Maybe you can find something similar that would work for you?

Klank
04-22-09, 05:00 PM
Melotonin and valerian root work like a charm for me. Even when I'm on high doses of Ritalin a bit of melotonin or a few caps of valerian root extract will knock me out.