View Full Version : Diet & Excercise Success?-No Meds

Miicchheellee
04-20-09, 03:59 PM
Does anyone in here have success with proper nutrition and excercise w/o supplementing with meds? At one time I was doing something similar to the atkins diet and working out very early in the morning and was feeling better then EVER. Then I started a job and couldn't get myself out of bed earlier then I already was and fell out of this good habit. I feel like crap every single day. :( (stressed, overwhelmed, brain fatigue and fog, sinus headache, anger when multitasking, inpatience,,,blah,blah,blah, the list keeps going). I still do about 4, 30 minute walks a week and I try to eat pretty clean but I am doing something wrong and not sure what. I have been to an allergist to get their standard testing and wasn't showing any reactions to the tests but..... Any suggestions??

Thx,
Michele

lateralthinker
04-20-09, 04:49 PM
Fish oil seems to be very helpful. I got this out of a book called the "LCP Solution". Fish oil contains fatty acids, particularly DHA ,that act as brain fuel that most people lack and ADDers require more of. It's a long-term thing getting better over time. Don't expect to pop a few of them and be better that day. Also goes into how other foods are bad for us, I've worked on cutting back on these.

I've also switched from Coffee to Yerba Mate. I found this in The Da Vinci Method. Energy minus the jittery feeling.

Regulating sugar is a must. Its true affect on ADD is debatable but both sides agree that it should be regulated and if you think it causes a problem, then it does.

I bough a bike recently. My hips, knees, and akles aren't up to the challenge that running would require to meet my ADD needs. Much lower impact, much more excercise.

I don't take meds. I don't yet know enough about them and I don't traus a psychatrist: they treat quotas, not patients. I'm going to do as much as possible without meds beofre considering that route.

Lorica
04-21-09, 03:39 PM
Hi - I have found a very healthy organic diet helps elevate my mood, especially with regular exercise, but it has not helped that much with the a.d.d. However, if it was working for you, I'd say keep experimenting with your new lifestyle to fit in what helps you.

qinkin
04-28-09, 04:49 PM
i had some organic White Oolong Tea, but I drank it right before I TRIED to go to bed..

lol, i felt real good, but i didn't sleep any.. lol

As for everything else mentioned.. ya, organic is good good.. hot tea is good good... DHA (http://truestarhealth.com/Notes/2836004.html#Supp-Sources) in Fish Oil (i need to get on) people keep insisting upon it.. Yerba Mate (i need to get on)... lol
Ginkgo Biloba is cheap, I've found, and helps holistically, overall..

Meds take getting used to. I am somewhat certain the Adderall I take has more benefits than the caffeine I take, and I found easier to fall asleep, if you take a late dose of adderall, compared to caffeine..

Quitting caffeine is painful, but I recommend it for anyone who wants to be a better thinker. If you can have the occasional cup of tea or coffee or cola without becoming addicted, you can use it as needed and get some real benefit. But with regular use the effects of caffeine on the brain are generally negative.http://www.increasebrainpower.com/caffeine-brain.html

but i really don' like to think for much, if I could help it,, :cool: i'm not a professional, however

acole1982
04-28-09, 10:29 PM
Fish oil seems to be very helpful. I got this out of a book called the "LCP Solution". Fish oil contains fatty acids, particularly DHA ,that act as brain fuel that most people lack and ADDers require more of. It's a long-term thing getting better over time. Don't expect to pop a few of them and be better that day. Also goes into how other foods are bad for us, I've worked on cutting back on these.

I've also switched from Coffee to Yerba Mate. I found this in The Da Vinci Method. Energy minus the jittery feeling.

Regulating sugar is a must. Its true affect on ADD is debatable but both sides agree that it should be regulated and if you think it causes a problem, then it does.

I bough a bike recently. My hips, knees, and akles aren't up to the challenge that running would require to meet my ADD needs. Much lower impact, much more excercise.

I don't take meds. I don't yet know enough about them and I don't traus a psychatrist: they treat quotas, not patients. I'm going to do as much as possible without meds beofre considering that route.

I agree with you about the medicine issue. I was recently diagnosed with ADHD and they started me on adderall a week ago. I hate it, I am a nurse and have had a couple complaints from pts that I am in a hurry and I actually received a verbal warning which is ridiculous. It's sad because normally I am a sweet caring person and I am not in a hurry. I just appear that way due to the medicine making me extremely hyper. The medicine does make me concentrate with also alot of other bad side effects. I am 26 and it gives me chest pains which a 26 yr old should not have. I was taking fish oil awhile back and it did seem to help alot. I believe I will be going back that route. I believe alot of the medications out there are going to cause alot of heart problems in these younger kids/ younger adults . It causes way to much stress on the heart and I believe it is too early to tell what all of the long term effects are. I am not a doctor but when there are reports of 21 and 22 year olds with dangerously high blood pressure spikes that should be a stop sign right there. However that is my opinion. I am just glad to know that there are other people that are trying other ways to cope besides medications;)

qinkin
05-01-09, 05:31 PM
Ok, I too experience chest pains, I experience them occasionally on medications.. perhaps even w/o!

But, it may not even be your heart.. "chest pains".. i recommend (unprofessionally), that you de-stress your chest muscles.. deep breaths

ADD meds alone should not cause you life-threatening stress... It's more likely that it is not your meds, because, you must already have a condition.. for meds to cause this.. and so, maybe take fish oils, water, stop panicking helps, take action to stop panicking on it

It's like saying vigorous exercise in the cold for the first time, made my lungs sting.. .. or that lifting a bunch of weight made my arms sore.. initially.. then the next day you aren't experiencing these hardships

i'm just saying, sometimes, you must take steps to cope, as I have, even to the meds(though were a step of coping themselves). are likely not to be root cause.. IMExperience.. Meds have proved more effective than any cup of tea or coffee I have ever drank..

Science even showed that occasional insomnia can prove healthy coping mechanism to stress and aging.. Stressful Environment---give yourself a month or two on the meds.. at least a month...I've been on and off these type of meds since i was 6..

sincerest apologies, if this has become a debate b/c of me.. just ignore this if you want to.. but I did buy some fish oil today, the lady said, after hearing my diet, that I could certainly use this.. 5 servings of fish per week is recommended, BTW.. it makes sense, I felt so fat anemic... and the acne i've been dealing w/since middle school..

meds are more refreshing to me, than a burden:)

holden
05-08-09, 12:32 AM
I'm not sure why time you are currently getting up for work, but if you could just suffer through getting up 1 hour earlier it sounds like it would really pay off. My wife and I started getting up at 6am every morning and going to the gym before she goes to work and it has completely changed how we both feel throughout the day. That short (never more than 45 min at the gym) burst of physical activity in the mornings puts me in a much better mood for the rest of the day. If you can't go to the gym I can give you some links to great workouts to do in your living room.

If you tell me a little more about your diet, I can offer some suggestions if you would like.