View Full Version : Gonna try Karate lessions

gnbeg
04-22-09, 03:01 PM
I've signed up myself and my 13yr old for Karate lessons. I'm pumped, something I've always wanted to do. I hope my ADHD/BP brain can keep up with the required learnings. Physically, I have a bad knee, but otherwise I'm in pretty good aerobic shape.

Anyone here do martial arts? Has the mental aspect been difficult?

firstdesserts
04-22-09, 03:42 PM
Being predominately inattentive and having a really slow input/output information process makes it hard to mentally keep up with what is happening in the moment. But the mental and physical exercise and training helps with that.

Having almost no short-term memory obviously is also a problem. But the endless, repetitious, mind-numbing practice workouts have a plus side. That is learning moves and techniques to a point where they can and are executed without conscious though. Kara - te essentially means 'empty hand.' The origional connotation being without weapons. But with time, that takes on a new, different, and interesting meaning - 'empty heart' or 'empty head.' This doesn't mean stupid or callous, but 'no fear,' 'no malice,' 'no pride.' 'Mind like water' is another expression that fits. Your mind is calm and passive, only reacting in proprortion to its disturbance. This is a great place to be.

You can practice at home alone. The movement comes from the unconscious inside or heart, like music that has been worked into memory. The mind and body listens as the heart sings. To top that off, you learn how to avoid situations that could become violent. Also, like music, you get much more out of it than you put in.

Enjoy!

PaulyD
04-22-09, 04:23 PM
I joined Karate and i struggled with the formal part of the class but really enjoyed the exercise aspect of Karate. I quit about 2 months into it because i frustrated with the formal aspect of karate. I am however very thankful of what that class did for my confidence and learning that i am very capable of doing anything i have interest in. Give it a try, it seems you have thought about doing this for sometime and you'll never know until you try yourself.