View Full Version : Know anything about solid-state drives?

Grasshoppaa
04-24-09, 09:40 PM
Just trying to increase the performance of my laptop and increase the reliability. I have been doing a lot of reading, and haven't decided if it is worth spending the money to replace my hard-drive with a solid-state drive.

I am looking at a 128gb SSD, have seen some for around $279 or so. I would be switching from a 250gb 5400rpm hard-drive (factory hp).

Don't use my computer for gaming, movies, or really anything too hardware-intensive. Microsoft office, general computing, and internet are what I do the most. I only have about 52gb of my hard-drive used right now, so the decreased space is not that big of a deal.

I carry my laptop a lot, which is one of the big reasons I wanted to get a SSD, for the reliability. I already had a HDD fail on my other laptop, and don't want it to happen again.

Is it worth it? Any thoughts?

2puzzledparents
05-11-09, 10:48 AM
Sure SSD's are ultimatley reliable... basically a huge compactflash meomory like Nasa has been using on thier mars rovers. Write times are a bit slower than HDD's but shouldn't be noticable... Buut expect them to be a bit more expensive just casue new idea

sharkie13
05-20-09, 11:40 PM
Solid state drives have their pros and cons.
The pros:
-Extremely fast. Since they are essentially Random Access Memory (RAM), there are no spinning disks and therefore it takes very little time to find something. Load times are nearly instant.
-Low power consumption. Once again, no moving parts contribute to this.
-Don't break as easily. Guess why? No moving parts!

Cons:
-New technology; they are relatively small in capacity.
-PRICE. They are so expensive it's crazy unless you can actually afford it!

Annwn
05-21-09, 11:26 AM
Recent testing shows that SSDs *DO* experience a performance decrease over time as they become more fragmented.

Do you have a good backup system in place? If you don't, do that first. Also, depending on what you are doing, you may or may not notice much of a performance boost from an SSD - expecially if you go with the slower and cheaper models.

These devices are getting bigger, faster, better and cheaper every year - if you don't have a compelling need for one, the only reason is to just get one because it's cool.

Nothing wrong with being cool.

mr.lazy
06-10-09, 03:41 AM
Solid state drives are about 100 times faster than conventional HDD's.

They are a lot more reliable in a lap top, less likely to break when being moved around due to the fact there are no moving parts.

There is less power consumption from them, and less heat (heat = wasted power)

The two draw backs for most consumers is the limited disk space and the price. For you i believe it would be great, but you could also consider investing in a faster HDD drive with 7.200 rpm or even 10.000, they will more often than not wind up cheaper compared to a SSD but still the fact they may break.

In the end it comes down to do you really need the increased speed?
Does your hard disk break enough that it's worth you spending the extra money?
A good way to find out more would be to go into an electronics store and ask a sales rep about the differences (bear in mind they may be biased and want you to buy the more costly devices)

It is also wise as other people have mentioned to have a back up. Maybe it would work out cheaper to have an external back up and buy a new HDD when this one breaks (just another option).

But in the end, its your choice.

romeosidvicious
10-09-09, 11:39 AM
SSDs have limited life. They can handle a finite number of writes to any given sector. This number is extremely high so most people will never hit the number before they replace a device using an SSD. The wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages) on SSDs has a lot of good information. I like SSDs and my next laptop/netbook/tablet will be SSD based for sure. SSD based systems are how Ubuntu is getting <10 second boot times.

If you carry your laptop a lot and use it in places where you have to move it while it is turned on then an SSD is a better option in my opinion. Even slight movements can physically damage a hard drive. If you don't have shock protection on your laptop, like Lenovo provides, then I would definitely look into an SSD.

really
10-09-09, 11:49 AM
If you drop an SSD and an HDD from a 1,000 foot cliff, you should notice no difference in performance quality.

romeosidvicious
10-09-09, 12:12 PM
If you drop an SSD and an HDD from a 1,000 foot cliff, you should notice no difference in performance quality.
The performance of the two is also the same after being subject to down-hole stress testing for drilling equipment...

really
10-09-09, 01:03 PM
The performance of the two is also the same after being subject to down-hole stress testing for drilling equipment...

Hahaha, I like you.

romeosidvicious
10-09-09, 02:24 PM
Hahaha, I like you.
Not trying to hijack the thread...When I was at Schlumberger and doing hardware acceptance testing as part of my job we actually tested a laptop on the torque machine for downhole equipment. My boss was less than pleased as was the HP rep. It didn't pass the test. Maybe I can find the old pics and scan them in. In another thread of course...

wsmac
10-20-09, 01:23 AM
Laptops in the oilfields? What'll they think of next?:confused:

Back when I worked in the oilfields of West Texas and the Gulf of Mexico, I don't even think laptops were invented!:o Does that make me old?:p

I was looking at SSD's and also at replacing my macbook for a new model.

I've come to the conclusion that I don't need a new drive for this machine, I put in a larger drive a year or so ago and it is still working like crazy.
But... I wouldn't buy another 7200rpm, which is what I replaced the stock drive in my mac with. I think a 4500 is just fine for a laptop, especially the way I use mine.

I have seen conflicting information on SSD's and their write-over capacity.
I'll wait and see how they fair over the next year or so before I make my final decision.
I plan on getting a new laptop around that time.