View Full Version : My son isn't the same anymore :(

boysmom
04-25-09, 02:40 PM
My 6 year old son...who weighs about 45 pounds...has been put on apo-methylphenidate sr 20 mg, plus pms-methylphenidate 10mg. He has a constant dry cough...he blinks all the time...and he's just not "him" anymore, if that makes sense? For example, the kid didn't want to play at mcdonald's playland this morning! :(

I'm new here...does the amount of his medication sound excessive? He's being treated for ADD...no hyperactivity.

kattsqueen
04-25-09, 10:00 PM
ask how he feels if he thinks the medicine is helping him or making him happier or sadder he should be able to tell you if he is better or worse,,,

If he says hes better happier give him some more time.

IF he is not happier or feels worse have him immediately checked out. Six year old kids should be able to communicate this to you...

If in doubt do not wait at all call the doctors nurse and explain your concerns and ask them to give you advice of schedule the earliest possible appoinment

good luck we all want our children to do better feel better and suceed !!!

katts

γ-quantum
04-27-09, 09:12 AM
im not a professional but from what i've read, those tics (blinking) can be due to too much dopamine, so maybe his dose is too high.
but, most important is what kattsqueen already suggested: ask your son how he feels!

pamkay414
04-28-09, 11:11 PM
I would ask him how he feels too, if you haven't already but as his mother you know your son and can probably tell how he feels without even asking him. It's a mom thing. If he doesn't want to play then you can tell he isn't himself.

Here is a link that I found but I am not sure really if it will help.

http://www.rxlist.com/ritalin-drug.htm

I wish you and him luck.

Pam

boysmom
04-29-09, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone! I've tried asking him how he's feeling...if he feels different...and he just tells me, "I don't know". I'm seeing the doctor today, though, as he's just not himself. He's blinking too much, has that cough, has started some weird snorting sounds in his nose (and no, he doesn't have a cold) and doesn't want to play anymore. Poor bugger. :(

kattsqueen
04-29-09, 06:27 PM
Wish you both well glad youre seeing the doc!!
katts