View Full Version : Any gardeners out there?????

Old School MBD
04-28-09, 11:04 AM
Last year, I decided to throw a bunch of vegtable plants in the ground, and see what happened......

It was a cool experience!

So this year, I am doing things right, like keeping a fence around the stuff the horses eat, and rototilling.

I planted the garlic last fall, and they are sprouting nicely!

I have 5 hot pepper plants that I kept inside all winter (they produced all winter too)

Now I am just waiting to do my spring planting!!!!!!!!
(I will post what I plant later)

So............
Are you a gardener, and if so, what do you grow?????

Old School MBD
04-28-09, 03:49 PM
The pepper plants I kept all winter include:

Jalapeno
Seranno (insainely HOT!)
Green Bell
Hungarian wax
and Habinero

Johnnny
04-29-09, 08:56 AM
I used to help my mom do her garden as a child... It was fun learned alot, worked me into shape in the spring lol....

novagal
04-29-09, 10:10 AM
I love working in the garden! We moved to this house about two years ago, and before that I'd never planted or kept anything alive but a few houseplants. There's all kinds of flowerbeds here, and the people that lived here before didn't do much with them at all. It was mostly dirt. I was so afraid I would be able to keep things up if I started them, afraid of failure and not knowing how to care for a garden.

Ha! I learned that you pretty much just stick stuff in the ground, water it, feed it, weed it, and it's fabulous! I love my garden! I started small, just one area at a time, and slowly added areas until I got used to a routine of caring for them. Now I've got containers and planters all over the place too. What an incredible pleasure it is to watch these things evolve and grow, I know it's so cliche, but I find so much metaphor for life in my garden. I get it now.

I haven't planted veggies yet. I'd really like to though, I think I'd do them in containers. Also herbs. I have lavender and rosemary, (lavender is great in cooking!) I'd like to have dill, flat leaf parsley and basil. Then tomatoes, zucchini, cucumbers, and red peppers to start.

We have a 100 year old orange tree that is simply amazing, we eat from it every single day. I'd love to have a meyer lemon tree too, I could do that in a container. That way I could take it with me if we ever moved.

So what do you do with all those HOT peppers? I like a certain amount of heat, but I wouldn't know what to do with all of those.

Old School MBD
04-29-09, 10:24 AM
Container are a good way to go (especially with peppers)

At the end of last season, realizing peppers are a perennial (multi year) in their normal habitat, I hastelly dug up the pepper plants and thru them is some pots, and brought them inside. I will do all my peppers in pots this year.

Is the orange tree a valincia (as opposed to naval) orange tree by chance. My great grandpa had a really old orange tree in Upland that had the BEST oranges!!!!

hsoJ
04-30-09, 08:18 AM
Though I haven't done any of the planting in the past few years, I usually work our garden until it dies out in the fall. We usually have corn, potatoes, tomatoes, squash, zucchini, okra, banana peppers, bell peppers, a few chilies, green beans, and I think there were some melons in there last season. I'm sure I'm forgetting something... there's usually a few different kinds of tomatoes and corn.

LostInTheStars
05-09-09, 12:52 PM
I am not quite a gardener yet, but I will be soon!

I have been planning my garden all winter now. I am very excited to start. I was going to plant today, but it poured rain last night, and the ground is quite soggy. I will be putting in flowers and some veggies.

Tomatoes (of course!) sugar snap peas, and a row of carrots. That will be good to start. I really want to grow lettuce, but it needs more shade than I can give it right now. Maybe I'll figure something out for next year.

I am terribly dissapointed that I cant be out there playing in the dirt today. :( I will be going out later today to be outside. That is what I look forward to the most about what will be my garden.

hsoJ
05-09-09, 01:09 PM
Our lettuce seems to grow fine right out in the middle of the field. Not much, if any, shade at all. Though, it's leaf lettuce and not a head -- not sure if that matters much.

I left a pumpkin beside our patio last halloween and it has sprouted several little plants. Though it's far too early, I'm going to find a nice place for them to grow to give the deer something to munch on. As if the apples, pears, and everything else in the garden weren't enough.

I'm also quite interested in raising mushrooms [not sure what kind] -- anyone know anything about this?

novagal
05-09-09, 03:13 PM
I am not quite a gardener yet, but I will be soon!

I have been planning my garden all winter now. I am very excited to start. I was going to plant today, but it poured rain last night, and the ground is quite soggy. I will be putting in flowers and some veggies.

Tomatoes (of course!) sugar snap peas, and a row of carrots. That will be good to start. I really want to grow lettuce, but it needs more shade than I can give it right now. Maybe I'll figure something out for next year.

I am terribly dissapointed that I cant be out there playing in the dirt today. :( I will be going out later today to be outside. That is what I look forward to the most about what will be my garden.

I can't wait to hear how it goes for you! It's funny, I had a dream about pulling carrots up out of the ground last night - maybe it's really time for me to get some veggies going.

No idea about the mushrooms. I remember going to the local mushroom farm (?) on a field trip when I was a kid. It was dark and musty - that's about all I remember. I just googled it and it looks like there are kits you get get to start out.