View Full Version : did or do you often find yourself depressed at lunch time?

kwalk
04-30-09, 08:35 AM
like when you had to sit still and eat lunch, after the beginning you lost interest in friends and didn't feel like you fitted in?

johnny s.
04-30-09, 09:30 AM
I eat alone at my desk usually... you?

but I sometimes feel that way at lunch too.

I think it's because I get wrapped up in the movement of the day, and that distracts me or gives me something to do.

but then when things slow down, I feel lonely.

same thing happens around holidays sometimes.

when things slow down, and everyone is home spending time with their families or whatever (I guess when everyone is eating in your case) it feels sorta lonely.

kwalk
05-01-09, 01:17 AM
I meant more specifically in high school for the thought of eatting with everyone every day.

firstdesserts
05-01-09, 11:28 AM
I took up the guitar at 16, and in my junior and senior year lunch times were spent sitting outside alone with the guitar. I felt quite a bit of ambivelance when I started to have a girlfriend the last half my last year! Fortunately, she also had and played guitar and understood. Over three decades later I still take a guitar to work with me when I can (can you say, "Self-medicating?")!

APSJ
05-01-09, 07:31 PM
I loved lunch in high-school, particularly in the summer when I could eat outside. I was never without a book and my discman, and together they let me totally escape the place, if only for twenty minutes.

Arei
05-18-09, 10:05 PM
They had close campus lunches at my school, and the times I didn't have lunch with friends/didn't have any friends were really annoying.

The few times we were able to escape and go out to eat lunch as a group, those were fun times. We could manage that after AP tests. Otherwise I hated being in the cafeteria. Freshman year we could eat outside and we did most of the time and it was nice, but they banned it for the following 2 years, then just allowed it again this past year. Which I really didn't take advantage of... 2nd semester I wasn't in regular classes anymore so I could go out to eat or go back home.

ADHDKylee
05-19-09, 04:44 PM
I sit with my friend at lunch.. One friend. In the hallway near the learning resource room, and when other people walk by I just stay quiet or talk to them to be friendly. I don't get bored, but I can often feel overwhelmed if tons of my friend's friends come by to talk to us or sit with us. I'd rather have just my one friend sit with me, but I can't control people, so I guess it's ok (and yes, I am in highschool.. lol)

stef
05-19-09, 05:23 PM
most days i didnt like it; I had to be in just the right mood.
and they always had this pizza, that was impossible to cut with the flimsy plastic knife.
In fact I really hated now that I think about it...
- wow I can't believe I so often ate lunch with people!

I love it now, I just go somewhere nice alone and read/zone out. the place i was today, has free newspapers to read & they often have USA today which I wouldn't remember to buy but it's perfect over lunchtime.

kwalk
05-20-09, 11:50 PM
lol I always wonder what I look like when I'm reading a magazine or book in a store, becausee I know I am definitely not reading 50% of the time while I'm staring at a page. When I browze through magazines I'm barely looking when I'm flipping the pages to find "pretty things" then I get off course and find something interesting or a totally different magazine.

Fuse
06-03-09, 11:27 PM
like when you had to sit still and eat lunch, after the beginning you lost interest in friends and didn't feel like you fitted in?

This sounds like it could be amphetamine comedown. I.e. you're leaving too much time between doses of your medication. If it's Ritalin, re-dose every 2-3 hours. If it's Dex, re-dose every 3 to 4 hours. 3 and 4 hours respectively might be pushing it.

When dex wears off I feel sort of 'depressed'. More apathetic though: I don't feel like I fit in, not much is interesting, I am 'bored' but nothing I think of seems appealing to do, and my body often feels physically exhausted.

Saint Valentine
06-04-09, 06:53 PM
Fuse speaks the truth. Also, if you're on amphetamines like Vyvanse or Adderall another possibility is dosage problems. Tell your doctor about this. I had the same feeling, except around 3 in the afternoon instead of lunch. My doctor told me that it probably just meant the dosage was a bit too high.

TheColorOfSleep
07-17-09, 11:58 AM
I just go outside and smoke.

Fraz_2006
07-17-09, 12:08 PM
I'm usually fine during the day..... but depression usually tends to hit me in the evenings when I feel really tired and worn out.

Hmm.... I wonder...

When I try to force myself to stay awake in the evenings, I feel wide awake later on and can't sleep at night.... anybody else get this?

Feeling drowsy in the evenings... but wide awake at night?

TheColorOfSleep
07-17-09, 12:15 PM
I'm usually fine during the day..... but depression usually tends to hit me in the evenings when I feel really tired and worn out.

Hmm.... I wonder...

When I try to force myself to stay awake in the evenings, I feel wide awake later on and can't sleep at night.... anybody else get this?

Feeling drowsy in the evenings... but wide awake at night?

I get this, yes. I actually feel very mentally awake at around 11:00 PM onwards. My creativity levels spike and poetic lines just seem to form in my mind like magic. It'll take me till around 2:30 to fall asleep because my mind is constantly racing, but the thoughts tend to be less negative than, say, if I'm doing absolutely nothing during the day.

Fraz_2006
07-17-09, 12:45 PM
I get this, yes. I actually feel very mentally awake at around 11:00 PM onwards. My creativity levels spike and poetic lines just seem to form in my mind like magic. It'll take me till around 2:30 to fall asleep because my mind is constantly racing, but the thoughts tend to be less negative than, say, if I'm doing absolutely nothing during the day.

Same...

If anything... my mind is flowing with positive thoughts at night... and I get a slight feeling of euphoria... even although I was drowsy and down in the dumps earlier on.