View Full Version : Any tips?

Lukw10
04-30-09, 11:09 AM
Hello everyone! I was diagnosed with AD[h]D probably 4 months back after quite a long evaluation (Psychologist and Nurse Practitioner) and was put on Adderall XR. After a month my dosage was raised and I was given a short acting Adderall IR as a "booster". At my most recent appointment my doctor (well, NP) offered me Focalin. Now I liked adderall, it has its goods/bads, but I had heard a few good things about Focalin so I said id give it a try.

So is there anything I should be aware of ? I'm very experienced with adderall so I know what to expect sort-of. I am just curious if there are any major-major differences in how ill feel on focalin comparitively.. ?

elizadoo47
05-01-09, 07:49 PM
I don't have any tips--I'm still new to this. Parent of a teen daughter who was diagnosed with ADD just a month ago, WAY overdue in diagnosis.

Anyway, a frame of reference is that she tried Concerta, which released the majority of the dose in the afternoon. This made her extremely grumpy from 3 to 5 pm, she was irate, and wasn't sleeping until midnight--or later.

Today was her first day on Focalin XR, she took it at 7 am and at 1 pm she told dad it was working "just fine". I picked her up for her afternoon job at 5 pm and she said she still felt "fine" except she was tired (well, after 10 hours of school and work, who wouldn't be?). She also told me "this medicine really helps, mom."

However, she did say that she only had a snack for lunch, since she has been on these meds she has very little appetite until after 7 pm when she eats a good meal. On weekends I do NOT give her the meds so she will eat a bit more....I'm going to ask the psych (next visit) for a short-acting Focalin equivalent in case she doesn't want the ADD symptoms back on weeekends.

Because this lasts only 6 to 8 hours I was expecting some grumpiness mid-afternoon, but it wasn't there. I am thinking that the fatigue at 5 pm might be because the dose wore off.

I am going to observe her on a day when she comes straight home (1 pm) from school and see if she starts to get foggy thinking, or if she can coast for the rest of the day.

Hope this jumbled writing helps!