View Full Version : Can anyone else literally taste cheap silverwear?

kello2005
04-30-09, 12:43 PM
Ok, I'm not sure if anyone else has this...but I know that no one I know does. When I'm eating out I can actually taste the spoon or fork if it's cheap...they have this metallic taste that is so distracting I can't even focus on the food itself.
At home, I have a favourite fork that I use b/c I can't taste it!

Anyone else have this? It's so odd!! :)

sarek
04-30-09, 01:03 PM
I do taste silverwear sometimes. Like there's this metallic taste leaking out of it.
Though its never so bad it prevents me from using it.

Carissa
05-21-09, 03:25 AM
Some silverware tastes really odd. Especially old silverplated spoons with the plating wearing off. Blech!

Microwench
01-18-11, 08:48 PM
Totally! i thought this was just a weird me thing!!

Lottie
01-18-11, 09:15 PM
I thought eveyone could taste it.

daveddd
01-18-11, 09:17 PM
i hate when i bite my fork

you would think after all the practice ive had, i would have it down pat

Surly Dave
01-18-11, 09:19 PM
I get that as well, but one of the things that really gets me is when I play acoustic guitar, after about 5 minutes I can taste the bronze from the strings. And no, I'm not playing the strings with my tongue!

Microwench
01-19-11, 01:06 PM
@Surly Dave
Wow! that must be annoying as all get out!! I have never heard of that before, you must be very very sensitive to bronze!

NorCalAndy8
01-19-11, 07:50 PM
I don't think I've ever noticed that whenever I'm eating out. My mind is usually somewhere else...but now that you've mentioned it I probably will..

Lunacie
01-19-11, 07:56 PM
Some silverware tastes really odd. Especially old silverplated spoons with the plating wearing off. Blech!

Yes, those are the ones I where I notice it the most. I haven't noticed as much since most of my old fillings fell out and were replaced with a better filling material instead of the old silver fillings. When I touched one of those with the tine of a silverplated fork I about hit the roof.

Fortune
01-19-11, 07:59 PM
I do not like the taste of cheap silverware.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
01-19-11, 08:27 PM
I was just talking about this with my friend...

I complained about tasting the metal and needing to get new silverware....

My friend said he's tired of hearing his girlfriend complain about their silverware, and stated he always thought she was just bullsh*tting being able to taste the silverware so she could use it as an excuse to get new silverware.

So yes... can definitely taste metal. It is 50% worse now that I have a couple metal fillings.

Rebelyell
01-19-11, 08:46 PM
I can tell the taste of cheap cereal,no more off brands for me

Lunacie
01-19-11, 08:52 PM
I can tell the taste of cheap cereal,no more off brands for me

Death-day anniversaries are always difficult. My ex had horrible timing - he died 3 days before my birthday so his mistress figured that Saturday was the best day for his memorial service - yeah, my birthday. :(

But I think we're veering off topic. ;)

Rebelyell
01-19-11, 09:02 PM
I think you taste metal because of 2 different metals cause interacting with each other its called electrolysis..Its like putting your tongue on a 9 volt battery sort of.2 dissimiliar metals will eventually corrode each other.

fracturedstory
01-20-11, 12:04 AM
Yes, and it lingers in my mouth for awhile.

βĩο₱Ħعℓĩᶏ
01-20-11, 04:09 AM
I think you taste metal because of 2 different metals cause interacting with each other its called electrolysis..Its like putting your tongue on a 9 volt battery sort of.2 dissimiliar metals will eventually corrode each other.

Was that to me? If so,

I've always tasted old and/or cheap metal silverware. It's just been the past 4 years with it being worse with the fillings. Its naaaaasty, now it's like my tooth can taste the flavor instead of my tongue and palate.

Spikey 723
01-20-11, 10:18 AM

Yes!!

At my parents house they have some spoons with ridges, where the coating is thin/broken.

I WILL NOT use these spoons, but no one else in the family seems to mind.

sighduck
01-20-11, 10:25 AM
hmm, i find the taste similar to cheap banana flavoured sweets... no-one ever understands me when i tell them they taste "metallic"

danielj
02-17-11, 05:53 PM
Ok, I'm not sure if anyone else has this...but I know that no one I know does. When I'm eating out I can actually taste the spoon or fork if it's cheap...they have this metallic taste that is so distracting I can't even focus on the food itself.
At home, I have a favourite fork that I use b/c I can't taste it!

Anyone else have this? It's so odd!! :)

Uhm yeah, I hate it because it's cool but annoying. Do you have fillings?

Juice
02-18-11, 04:25 PM
I only use chopsticks ..at home, in a restaurant or wherever .
I often bring my own .
Silverware cheap or otherwise freaks me out .

FaithofLeap
02-18-11, 04:39 PM
Not only can I taste it, I can smell it. Other items too. It may sound weird but I can smell a paper cutter from across the room.

MissVail
03-13-11, 09:45 PM
Yes, I can taste silverware sometimes. I also seem to be able to taste/smell other things that other people don't notice. If food is stored in plastic, I can taste the plastic...I can't eat at Chic-Fil-et cause everything they have tastes like their pickles to me.

IhazCHAOS
03-14-11, 08:37 AM
Not only can I taste it, I can smell it. Other items too. It may sound weird but I can smell a paper cutter from across the room.
Now that's sensitive!

eggyolkes
03-30-11, 10:32 PM
What gets me also is like canned food or canned POP. Ick!!! Spaghetti o's are the worst!!!!

Lunacie
03-31-11, 08:34 AM
What gets me also is like canned food or canned POP. Ick!!! Spaghetti o's are the worst!!!!

I don't know whether it's because all my old fillings fell out and were replace by better fillings, but I prefer soda pop in cans. I hate the taste when it's in plastic bottles. Glass was good, but these days a lot of people don't know what that tastes like. At home I only drink from real glass - no plastic cups for me thankyouverymuch.

Fortune
03-31-11, 09:09 AM
I don't know whether it's because all my old fillings fell out and were replace by better fillings, but I prefer soda pop in cans. I hate the taste when it's in plastic bottles. Glass was good, but these days a lot of people don't know what that tastes like. At home I only drink from real glass - no plastic cups for me thankyouverymuch.

I could have written this word for word.

Lunacie
03-31-11, 09:36 AM
I could have written this word for word.

Thank you, so good to know I'm not the only one.

Sandy4957
03-31-11, 11:11 AM
Yes. I can taste it, and I can smell it when I bring it up to my mouth. I can smell electrical appliances when they are hot.

People at my horse barn thought I was nuts when I kept saying that the nearby refinery smelled like an electrical fire. I finally figured out what it is. The plant produces ozone, as does metal when you heat it enough. Makes me choke 'cause I guess it's pretty bad for asthmatics.

Fortune
03-31-11, 11:14 AM
Ozone is terrible to breathe. I had the bad luck to inhale some once and it felt like my throat was stuffed with dust.

There's a smell that occasionally permeates the local area that no one else can smell. It drives me up the wall, and I can't identify it.

Sandy4957
03-31-11, 11:22 AM
We have a local potato-chip factory that no one else could smell. It just REEKED to me. Made me gag.

eggyolkes
03-31-11, 11:39 AM

It just depends on the pop. Sometimes it tastes AWFUL. But, pop that comes in glass containers is the best.

Yes. I can taste it, and I can smell it when I bring it up to my mouth. I can smell electrical appliances when they are hot.

People at my horse barn thought I was nuts when I kept saying that the nearby refinery smelled like an electrical fire. I finally figured out what it is. The plant produces ozone, as does metal when you heat it enough. Makes me choke 'cause I guess it's pretty bad for asthmatics.

Gross! I hate that smell!

Lunacie
03-31-11, 12:07 PM

That hot wiring smell is awful, makes me sick to my stomach. Smelled it once in the car - hubby said "what smell". A few miles later we saw flames coming out from under the hood. I said, "That smell."

stef
03-31-11, 12:10 PM
the thing I hate, is the "wooden" taste in popsicles and ice cream bars. Ugh!

Lunacie
03-31-11, 12:14 PM
the thing I hate, is the "wooden" taste in popsicles and ice cream bars. Ugh!

I'm aware of it, but I don't hate it. In fact when the popsicle or ice cream is gone I sometimes chew on the sticks, like people chew on toothpicks.

eggyolkes
03-31-11, 01:17 PM
I'm aware of it, but I don't hate it. In fact when the popsicle or ice cream is gone I sometimes chew on the sticks, like people chew on toothpicks.

Same here

Fortune
03-31-11, 03:49 PM
That hot wiring smell is awful, makes me sick to my stomach. Smelled it once in the car - hubby said "what smell". A few miles later we saw flames coming out from under the hood. I said, "That smell."

Something like this happened in a moving van when I was 16. I was the first to notice the smell and mention it, get dismissed, first to point out the smoke, and everyone piled out. This was good because the engine was between the two front seats and caught fire almost immediately afterward.

Lunacie
03-31-11, 03:56 PM
Something like this happened in a moving van when I was 16. I was the first to notice the smell and mention it, get dismissed, first to point out the smoke, and everyone piled out. This was good because the engine was between the two front seats and caught fire almost immediately afterward.

Yikes! Hopefully it was a rental truck and none of your stuff was damaged. We just had a melted wiring harness - easy enough to replace - once we got the car towed home, 50 miles away.

Fortune
03-31-11, 04:36 PM
Yikes! Hopefully it was a rental truck and none of your stuff was damaged. We just had a melted wiring harness - easy enough to replace - once we got the car towed home, 50 miles away.

It was a rental, and nothing was damaged.

I am not sure what the problem was, but we got a replacement truck and headed right back out the next day.

Lunacie
03-31-11, 04:47 PM
It was a rental, and nothing was damaged.

I am not sure what the problem was, but we got a replacement truck and headed right back out the next day.

Good thing, especially that everyone got out without any burns or smoke inhalation.

That Fiat was a pretty good car except for that short in the wiring. Was reading about a Pinto Caravan this week heading from Colorado out east somewhere. I loved my Pinto wagon in a lot of ways, but the noises in that thing drove me crazy. I hear noises no one else in the family hears, and if I'm driving I make them track them down and try to stop them. ;) My daughter remembers having to hunt for rattles in the back seat and trying to stop the noise.

HokieNCLT
04-28-11, 09:59 PM
I thought everyone could. Guess not...interesting.

silivrentoliel
03-20-12, 01:27 PM
I can! I used to chew on coins as a kid b/c I liked the metallic taste... now the texture of certain silverware or the sticks in corndogs or popsicles annoy me to no end.

shysmile
04-01-12, 12:47 PM
For 20 + years of my life, I've preferred to eat with plastic and only plastic "silverware" for this reason, and at restaurants I'd usually order finger foods so I wouldn't have to use their icky metal forks unless I had to.

It's only been maybe a year or two ago I started joining the rest of the world and eating with metal again. And yes, I can taste the metal in the forks and spoons. The utensils are either too cold or too hot, and the icky metal taste sometimes messes with the food... :doh:

But I read somewhere that plastic when heated up and used in food can poison you slowly, so I'm trying to force myself to get used to the metal.