View Full Version : The Sound of Silence

kello2005
04-30-09, 03:32 PM
Although I hate loud/sudden noises. I also find it impossible to sleep in silence. I can hear the silence...and can feel the pressure of the silence in my ears.

Thankfully I live on a busy street so it's not normally an issue. But, when I'm staying in quiet places...I need to turn on a computer or fan or even a ticking clock (which normally would annoy me)...just to fall asleep. The silence is just so loud and the pressure in my ears is so distracting that I can't fall asleep.

Anyone else have this?

γ-quantum
04-30-09, 05:54 PM
yeah, i am... was... the same.

i felt two dimensional once there was no sound. once i could hear a sound and thus locate it in the threedimensional space i am living in, i was threedimensional as well. once everything was silent, i was just a slice with no diameter, and i really hated that. i felt surreal, i felt like in twodimensional space where i dont belong.

i dont know, i got used to it somehow as i have to use earplugs to even be able to sleep now. i can hear my heart beat, breathing, noises in airways and all that, but i somehow got used to it. its better than complete silence, too. but i'd prefer a silent room and repetive sounds such as my computer fan and ticking clock.
its like a negative third dimension on the inside.

APSJ
04-30-09, 07:38 PM
I have a lot of trouble sleeping in silence too. City noise is the best, but otherwise I need a fan or music or something. In dead silence I'm always extremely conscious of myself and the fact that I'm trying to sleep, which of course makes it nearly impossible to fall asleep.

stef
05-01-09, 04:45 AM
I can sleep in a silent room but otherwise i hate silence, it makes me nervous and mt thoughts go in circles. I always have the TV or radio on, i like to be in "busy" places with a constant background noise.

ADDSCTmehave
05-02-09, 11:10 PM
silence-
loud and well loved by me

Spaced_In
06-30-09, 08:47 AM
i hate silence especially when i'm at home alone and the radio isn't turned on, it means i hear everything and makes me more sensitive to noises and then i kind of get scared so i never leave the radio turned off unless i have to or i'll start to freak

Impromptu_DTour
07-02-09, 03:44 AM
i HATE silence! My brain needs something to feed off of when its not feeding off of me! :D Its like a baby to a bottle its crazy!

Silence is so obtusely and misleadingly noisy.. Like has been said previously in this thread by y-quantum. I can completely feel the pressure of noise before i hear it, im quite sure in most cases.. and even things that are not audible i feel completely in my ears! Silence is like.. LOATHING being shoved into your ear canal, with the pain and suffering of that kid in 4th grade who scratched the chalkboard with his fingernails [eh-hehe.. that was me..], ugh!

I get audio hallucinations too because my brain needs to make sense of what it cant "technically" hear so it makes things up for me.. (its freakin lame).

So ya.. i sleep with machines, fans, computers.. open windows beside a road with a sewercover that RATTTTTTLES whenever a car drives over it...

:D

I_DTour

Impromptu_DTour
07-02-09, 03:48 AM
Sometimes though (well more usually than not) I either wear a closed headset or -32 Decible earplugs (for gunshots), when im at home alone because i cant stand the noise.. I just need to hear the normal rhythm of my body, because i can be so sensitive to sound, conversely when i need to sleep and NOT conc - w...

ya maybe when i need to concentrate i need some moderation of sound because i am so sensitive to it.. but when not concentrating i need noise of some kind (tvs, radios... except when im trying to quit smoking.. thats just a mess right there.. RAAR!! stop BREATHING so loud!) :rolleyes:

I_DTour

APSJ
07-02-09, 01:47 PM
i HATE silence! My brain needs something to feed off of when its not feeding off of me! :D Its like a baby to a bottle its crazy!

i hate silence especially when i'm at home alone and the radio isn't turned on, it means i hear everything and makes me more sensitive to noises and then i kind of get scared so i never leave the radio turned off unless i have to or i'll start to freak

I think I know what you mean here. I feel like dead silence causes me to seek out sounds, and listen intently to any I can detect, consequently making me very alert. Not helpful in getting to sleep.

the pain and suffering of that kid in 4th grade who scratched the chalkboard with his fingernails [eh-hehe.. that was me..], ugh!

This is totally off topic, but I've always wondered what is about that particular sound that produces such a universal and visceral negative response.

Maurice
07-02-09, 02:07 PM
For me it depends what I am used to. Usually I prefer to have some music or the T.V. on, at least until I fall asleep. I live out in the country so there is no traffic sounds at all, so I have to leave something on.
I think this might be where the saying "The silence is deafening" comes from?

Bladezor
07-02-09, 09:28 PM
The ceiling fan at full blast works for me but yeah, I hate silence if I'm trying to sleep... Obviously loud noises are just as bad. I prefer subtle ambiance.

Impromptu_DTour
07-02-09, 11:21 PM
This is totally off topic, but I've always wondered what is about that particular sound that produces such a universal and visceral negative response.

Well the sound of fingernails scraping on chalkboard affects people because *ahem* the aversion to the sound could be because it sounds like the warning call of a primate ancestor. However, a study using Cottontop Tamarins, a kind ofNew World Monkey, found that they react similarly to both screeching sounds similar to fingernails on chalkboard, and to amplitude-matched white noise. This is different from how humans react, as humans are less averse to the white noise than to scraping<sup id="cite_ref-Highfield_2-0" class="reference">.</sup> A 1986 study attempted to determine why the sound was so unpleasant. It used a tape-recording of a three-pronged garden tool similar to a fork being "glided" across a chalkboard, which reproduces the sound of fingernails on chalkboard. It also used other sounds for comparison. They then manipulated the recording to remove the lowest, highest, and middle pitches. The results were then played back. It was determined that the middle pitches are what make the sound of fingernails scraping chalkboard so bad, not the highest ones as previously thought. The authors hypothesized that it might be due to predation early in human evolution; the sound bore some resemblances to the alarm call of macaque monkeys or it may have been similar to the call of some predator.

*ahem..*

=)

Actually i think all of that stuff in the Chalkboard/Nail example about monkeys and primitive nature is a bunch of HOOEY!!

I think it more specifically has to do with the amplified frequency that the sound generates.. We as humans can only hear up to a specific frequency (which is the product of vibration..). Ever notice how the sound makes you like.. nauseous? But not in a grossed out way? More like.. the physics of the sound itself make you nauseous? I think it has alot to do with the freqnency we hear.. and the amplitude we hear "that" frequency at.. and how fast it vibrates in relation to us.

*shrug* it might be monkeys though. ;)

I_DTour

KillZone
08-20-09, 08:26 PM
Although I hate loud/sudden noises. I also find it impossible to sleep in silence. I can hear the silence...and can feel the pressure of the silence in my ears.

Thankfully I live on a busy street so it's not normally an issue. But, when I'm staying in quiet places...I need to turn on a computer or fan or even a ticking clock (which normally would annoy me)...just to fall asleep. The silence is just so loud and the pressure in my ears is so distracting that I can't fall asleep.

Anyone else have this?

I'm exactly the same.

shysmile
08-20-09, 10:12 PM
I don't like falling asleep in dead silence. During the summer months when I can just sleep with the windows open, and the sounds of insects chirping, traffic, wind, and any other background noise can just fill in the space it's never a problem.

However, in the fall when I shut the window I have to adjust to the quiet all over again and sometimes it freaks me out a little bit. I do have a ticking clock though so it's not 100% silent at least.

sarey
08-21-09, 01:45 AM
I sleep with both my TV and my fan on.
I'm the same.

aularian
08-23-09, 06:11 AM
I can't sleep in the silence, but perhaps this is because my ears ring, or I get bored. I need the TV or music on when I sleep because I tend to get bored, my mind ticks over with all my worries and then I can't sleep. I watch something I've seen before which helps not keep me too focused on it :D

phEight
08-23-09, 12:59 PM
I'm somewhat sensitive to silence, in that whenever I use earplugs or something of the sort I begin hearing auditory hallucinations. They're not as "real" as an actual sound, but enough to frustrate me to the point of telling my own head to shuttup out loud(lol) and take my earplugs off and go walk around.

I wonder though, don't you guys see any issue with having constant sound around you for every hour of your waking life? I can imagine this would only cause ADHD symptoms to increase even further over time due to training your brain even more to be around constant sounds. Going to sleep with the TV on? The brain is always listening, it's always picking up what's around us... as most of us ADDers are already well aware of. Most times we don't realize the sheer amount of things that are going around us because even ADDers have a brain that can sift through a lot of unnecessary data and not really make you aware of it. Constantly bombarding it with voices, sounds, useless conversations, tv commercials... I can't imagine that's a good thing. If sound is that necessary, then maybe find some white noise mp3's or nature sounds or something like that on the internet, which has also been known to not only help people fall asleep, but also be somewhat relaxing. I would say that's a much healthier choice than the television...

In my opinion, which I understand can vary quite significantly from others, I think if we really want to help ourselves be better, medication, as well as other forms of training/self-therapy should be utilized. By this I mean, through meditation and other forms of "silent" concentration, improve our abilities to accept silence, rather than the chaos we've become far too accustomed to in this society.

There have been MANY studies that show those who have meditated, even for 10-30+minutes a day, over time show improvement in their brain function. Improvement proven by fMRI / other brain scans.

Just a thought.. maybe one day I'll just start a new thread on the topic and I apologize if I derailed the original purpose of this thread

sortawicked
11-14-09, 02:19 AM
Im the opposite, I love when there is no sound. I hate winter because its cold but i looove how quiet it is.

I posted somewhere else i little wile ago bout how we were trapped in our house for days back in January when a horrible ice storm hit.

It was miserable because we had no power but i loved how silent it was.

by the 3rd day i was ready for some noise tho, to be honest.

brain chatter
03-05-10, 04:47 PM
sounds like a lot of us have a love-hate relationship with silence.

I do

prim-prim
05-24-10, 02:28 AM
I literally cannot sleep to silence. I feel the pressure too, and 'hearing' silence while trying to sleep drives me up the wall. I always get night terrors and then can't go back to sleep. I've had this for as long as I can remember.

A loud fan drowns out the audible silence for me. Thankfully my boyfriend likes having the fan on year-round too! But it's getting harder to find loud box-fans! Companies advertise quiet or silent fans as the current trend, but I hate it.

Kinda random but somewhat related: is there such thing as tv 'snow' anymore, or has that all gone away with the analog tvs?

Werl
06-06-10, 04:09 AM
I am the exact opposite. There can't be any light or sound. I once had a clock, I could hear it ticking. It drove me CRAZY.

AlexaN
06-06-10, 08:39 AM

Anyone else have this?

Just the opposite, I need complete silence and total darkness to fall asleep.
But if I am not *very* tired, silence makes me think nonstop and then I can't fall asleep for hours and go totally nuts.

Does it make any sense?

Werl
06-06-10, 12:43 PM
totally.

spaceyKP
06-26-10, 09:59 PM
I have to sleep with my fan on even if it is the middle of winter and negative degrees outside. For awhile I used a white noise app in my iphone but it would drain the battery -- not cool when my phone is my alarm too. I used to leave it charging all night until one of my cats started chewing my $30 iphone USB cables. So it was back to the fan. Now I had to sacrifice my fan for another cat who is sick and quarantined in the bathroom that doesn't have much air flow. The ceiling fan is just not cutting it!!

Werl
06-26-10, 10:02 PM
I have a simple solution for you, go back to using white noise and plugging it in. But this time, keep the cats out of your room.

Bikie
06-30-10, 04:28 PM
That is very interesting because I am very delicate an maniac with noise. I hate noise and I wear earplugs on the train, while in the sleep, in the computer, sometimes even in the office. I have not been diagnosed with ADD but I can assure you I meet all the requirements. What you thing? I'm thirsty of advice (hyperfocused with ADD perhaps?).

Asylum
07-28-10, 12:27 PM
I used to get very frustrated with the sound of silence when i was trying to sleep, but now i have some ear disturbances which apparently might be meniere's disease, and there is always noise in at least one ear, sometimes to a very stressfull degree. If i have meniere's i might become deaf. Now i just wish i could hear peacefull 'normal' silence again and i can't believe i used to get stressed out about it, when it was so simple to just put on some music or something.

Twimm
07-28-10, 02:34 PM
I don't do anything well in silence...can't sleep in slience, can't work in silence.

marie-johanne
07-29-10, 07:55 PM
In my life, there is never complete silence. I sleep with a fan so that the tinnitus and roaring in my ears don't deafen me.

ADDBecky
05-06-11, 09:58 AM
I can't stand slience at all. I sleep with a raido on at night. If I'm outside and it's quiet...ie no birds no frog sounds I feel like I'm gonna jump out of my skin....I hate slience makes me nuts. :)

tenese
05-08-11, 03:28 PM
I hate silence but I hate noise too (like really loud tv's or radios or chaotic noises). I HAVE to sleep with a fan on. My husband complains and he turns it off sometimes in the middle of the night and I wake up instantly. I slept at a friends house one time and I couldn't sleep that I put the fan on above her stove. If I don't have a fan I can't fall asleep and I focus on every noise in the house like clocks, house settling, etc..

StarlaDear
05-11-11, 06:45 PM
same here, if it's too quiet it makes me nervous, but I am also very jumpy and react to sudden sounds very dramatically. Only when I take my adderall, though!

Conman
05-26-11, 01:48 PM
oh dear lord i hate silence. due to school ive become adapted to thinking in silence FOR TESTS ONLY. outside of that, i cannot focus in silence for the life of me. in silence i start thinking about what i need to do, but then various thoughts fall in, then i have to start saying what i need to do out loud. all in all its a mess. however for tests i study in the wonderful chaos of a tv and itunes on, still get A's, and my brother is like that too. i think for generation Y as a whole, we've grown up during a great technological revival such as computer popularity, video game systems, music, etc. that we've become so accustomed to sound that anything other than that is alien to us. disclaimer: im talking generally, i dont doubt that there are people the opposite way

starry
01-21-13, 12:33 AM
I'm the opposite.
I don't like "noise". I love good music but I love silence too. Especially when sleeping. I must have absolute silence to sleep, since I sleep so light and the slightest noise wakes me up.
My ex bf has to have a fan in his room, since he can't sleep without the noise of a fan.
I disliked spending the night in his place due to this. Plus I'm always cold, so the fan blowing would make me colder.
Also I don't like not being able to hear anything outside of the room. If anyone broke in, we would hear nothing. That aspect was most worrisome for me, in terms of me and my ex getting married/living together in the future.
He would not be able to protect me/ our future kids or whoever is in the house if someone broke in and wanted to harm us.
When I meet someone new, I ask him if he can sleep without the need of background noise. If he says, he can't, there's no dating in the future for us.
I want someone to be able to protect me from intruders. Not someone who will sleep through break-ins. Might not be dealbreaker for anyone else, but this is just something that's important for me.

Arei
01-21-13, 02:10 AM
I hate pure silence only because my ears will start buzzing and that's annoying. Quiet is good though.

Since I'm so hot natured I sleep with a fan going all the time so I am used to that white noise. If there is not a fan, besides being too hot the lack of noise is way too quiet. Lol for me the dealbreaker would be if they can't tolerate any white noise (I have tons and tons of quilts and blankets, if you're too cold grab what ya need) lololol. I just like the fan, other noises are a distraction.

I used to have times I felt more comfortable sleeping with the TV on too, but I finally and completely got over that for good. I like the glowing light of the alarm clock so I don't feel like I am in complete darkness (I'm out in the middle of the country now, there's no lights outside period, except when the moon is out), but now extra light is annoying. If I had to sleep with the TV on though, as long as there is no sound I can do it.

My grandma always had to sleep with the TV on and sound going, and I couldn't deal with the sound, because she made sure it was louder then the fan. So when she was asleep I would mute it, if she woke up she'd scream at me XD