View Full Version : I'm ****ed off!

Im Jason
05-03-09, 09:06 PM
Ok, so I did well in easy grades but now things in 7th grade are getting harder and because I did well in easier grades I'm now expected to do work such is volantary for other students except I have to do it. I can't just go up to the teacher and say I'm not capable of this. I might as well go and say I'm mentally ill and stupid. Any suggestions?

Crazybutcute
05-03-09, 11:35 PM
Ummmm
I don't know about suggestions, that's way too much pressure for me...
but IMHO all you need to do is be HONEST with YOURSELF: IS it really too hard for you? Or does it challenge you appropriately?
It's either one or the other, and confronting your teacher, if it is too hard, is nothing to be ashamed of. That's called standing up for yourself, voicing your opinion, whatever else you want to call it. It may be one of the most important skills you ever learn. If you don't stick up for yourself, who will?

Im Jason
05-04-09, 06:29 PM
A: I can't do it. B:can't do it C:can't do it. D: be honest, would you go to the teacher and say " sorry, I can't do this because I'm messed up." ok,! Would you do that?

crazycat1990
05-08-09, 10:49 PM
I know how you feel. As a 19 year old I've been through school and sixth form college and felt the pain!

Either I'd end up asking my friends for help (or just cheating and copying their answers, thinking "it doesn't matter now, I can read through the revision guides when to comes to the exams!") or put it off for as long as I could then spoke to my teacher. But they won't be happy if you do that. If you are going to ask a teacher for help do it ASAP and not too late.
I don't know much about schooling in the US, but here in the UK in secondary school (11-16 year olds) we have "sets" or "groups" for the main subjects. So top set would have the most intelligent students, the intermediate ones would have average students, bottom set would have the not-so-clever students. Do you have that as well? If you do it might be that you need to be moved down a set and see if it's any better.
It's happened to me :) When I started secondary school, I started off in the top set for science, but it was quite a challenge for me so they moved me to the next set down. I got moved around a fair bit and eventually I was put in the top set and stayed there for my GCSEs. It happened to a lot of other students as well. The higher the year/grade the harder the work gets.

Im Jason
05-10-09, 12:31 PM
In my school they have that for math. I am in honors (top) and we just had our final to see if your in honors next year. I'll bet all my money I failed

Arei
05-18-09, 09:02 PM
A: I can't do it. B:can't do it C:can't do it. D: be honest, would you go to the teacher and say " sorry, I can't do this because I'm messed up." ok,! Would you do that?

I would, because it ****es me off enough.

Normally, if you confide such problems with your teachers (don't whine about it, calmly explain your predicament and what your problems are) they will usually be sympathetic. Even if its little things as not giving you a hard time anymore though not much extra help, it's still something. However most teachers care enough to want to reach out to you and help you learn/work in a way you can retain it. I wish I had the confidence back when I first started getting overwhelmed in school to ask for this, I was afraid of adults back then a lot but the truth is they are HAPPY when you come to them explaining these things. They would KILL to have the ability to get into our heads and know how to teach us all the best way but they don't, so they really appreciate hearing these things so they can better learn to connect with you and others in your situation. Don't be afraid to share your problems with them.

lateralthinker
05-18-09, 09:47 PM
Seventh grade sucked the big one for me. I went from having 2 or three teachers in sixth grade to 8 of them the next year. (my 7th grade was the first year that it was "middle school"). I had a hard time going from one to the next throughout the whole day and was intimidated by the big change in atmosphere and many more students. I had long since "outgrown" my ADD which "came and went" when I was in 2nd grade. I scraped by in math and flunked a semester of science (boring stuff that made no sense). Eight, ninth, and tenth grade were only slightly better.

I didn't start gaining ground until my junior year when college was on the horizon. I somehow buckled down and made honors a couple times. College was again difficult in early on; I think mainly because Alg/trig and calculus took up a diprpoprionate amount of time. Again it was also a big transition. But I did end up making president's list a couple of times once I got the math behind me (D's for done), I tended to do better in the harder semesters than the easier ones. One class that people tended to get slammed in, I got an A in it. In my final semester which involved license exams (another grade-eater), I made president's list again.

Since college I've been a ship officer and I'm currently a firefighter/EMT, soon to be paramedic. Ships and stations are very much alike. When I'm busy. challenged and, surrounded by supportive people. If I'm bored, underchallenged or around jerks, I perform poorly.

All I can say is don't dispair! The fact that you are aware of your ADD at such a young age and open with it in a support group like this you're going to make out alright. I'm 34: internet wasn't really there when I was in 7th grade let along ADD forums, or even a whole lot of knowledge about ADD to begin with. You will have times, places, and situations where you struggle and those in which you thrive. As long as your true enough to yourself to know the various differences and how the effect you, you will do fine.