View Full Version : When you are playing a video game

iGAL
05-04-09, 06:43 AM
I remember a few years ago ( 8-9 ) when i was playing video games ( on consoles, ex: PlayStation ) with my friends, that i was easily distracted.

I mean, if someone asked my anything while playing i would answer immediately.

I could not say the same things about my friends.
They where "normal" ( not ADD people ), even after repeting shouting at them they wouldn't say/do anything but continue to play.

It was very hard to distract them and talk to them while playing.

I think this is a good example that shows the difference between people with ADD and the "normal" ones.

What do you think ?
On which side are you ?

For Moderators: you could move this thread is necesary, i couldn't find a more suitable place for it

Mantis
05-04-09, 08:21 AM
Depends on the game.
I can easily get glued to a game for hoooours. Infact, I think video games are just about the only thing in the world that can hold my attention.
: )

Grithor
05-07-09, 03:59 PM
I love video games and can play them for hours and get really involved in them, but I still have my attention on everything outside the game and slightest sound or movement coming from outside the game gets my direct attention.

MamaLisa
05-07-09, 04:39 PM
My son is almost 7 and gets so involved in games that he'll actually wet his pants. my husband is the same way...but he doesn't wet his pants ;) I have to turn off the games machine or step in front of the t.v. in order to get their attention. DH is ADD and Son is ADHD.

crazycat1990
05-08-09, 10:38 PM
I get waay to focused on the game. Although it depends what it is.

If it's a fast-paced game/moment or a really important battle or whatever then I will be glued to it. If I'm playing something like The Sims however I can get distracted by other things. Then all hell breaks lose in my Sims' house when I'm away and forget to pause the game! :eek:

Johnny123
05-09-09, 05:02 AM
I always rage quit in video games, when someone kills me i'll whack them without thinking (thats if i'm versing someone 2 player) and quit the game.

JBiscuit
05-09-09, 04:14 PM
To me, it really depends on the mood and the game. I see many of my friends being totally focused on the game in hand, and I just dont think that is cool.

It would be okay if they were chilling alone at home and completely focused on the game, but I am there with them. I would like to talk and have a good time.

So, I think it really depends on the situation and the person. Some of us are more prone to rapid attention shifts when playing games, and some of us aren't.

For me, I find that I will go on a 'quest' for something and completely forget about the rest of the game. I just like to do things 100%, and the quest at hand comes first.

firefly25
05-09-09, 05:43 PM
I love video games, console and computer both. I've always focused on them like I do on reading. That is, if you talk to me I might even nod in response or say "Yep." and I haven't heard a word you've said.

My parents quickly learned to step in front of the tv to really get my attention, so that my eyes were on them. Of course, this interrupted the game and that would make me irritated at the sudden interruption.

I also do the same thing with quests. If I have a quest in front of me I have to do it. I might have many going at once but typically it's a 'need to solve' thing and I easily get sidetracked from the main game.

kwalk
05-11-09, 07:57 PM
lol it's funny you say your distracted easily but aren't distracted when playing video games, like you can do both at once. Your friends don't sound like they were paying attention :)

Saint Valentine
06-04-09, 06:21 PM
Video games are made to capture the attention of the target audience, and the popular ones are the ones that do that well.

Annwn
06-04-09, 07:08 PM
It really depends on the game. Some games are unforgiving and some are easy to pause or have some kind of "turn" or interrupt built in.

There was an Online RPG I used to play a lot (not WoW) that had some missions that lasted 20-35 minutes and if you got distracted for 5 seconds, you could wipe the whole party and cost 7 other people a lot of time and aggravation.

I think the funnest is playing with other people in the room in some kind of competitive game. I play with my 7yr old son and he is really good and almost an even match in some things. We do a little friendly smack talk and talk to each other while we are fighting. That requires focus on the game, but you still have to stay communicative which is interesting, possibly even a good mental exercise.

mr.lazy
06-09-09, 01:48 PM
I love video games, console and computer both. I've always focused on them like I do on reading. That is, if you talk to me I might even nod in response or say "Yep." and I haven't heard a word you've said.

My parents quickly learned to step in front of the tv to really get my attention, so that my eyes were on them. Of course, this interrupted the game and that would make me irritated at the sudden interruption.

I also do the same thing with quests. If I have a quest in front of me I have to do it. I might have many going at once but typically it's a 'need to solve' thing and I easily get sidetracked from the main game.

That's basically the same as me except for the quest part. I prefer just to run around shooting stuff up e.g. counterstrike :D
I have never been into quest based games, except Runescape and even in that i hated the quests.

Thren
06-11-09, 12:56 AM
I played Runescape/WoW for a few years. This was before i was diagnosed with add and started medication. Surprising, i was much more willing to grind out levels and gold then i am now.

With meds, i feel like i am wasting my time even playing a mmorpg. There is always a nagging feeling that i should stop and do something productive. This doesn't happen when i'm playing other games with reallife friends

bird88
06-17-09, 01:15 PM
inatentivness, really screws up my game, like how the brain goes laggy ,when you try to concentrate, general adhd crap, good thing is the meds i got diagnosed help ridiculously, with reacting and processing whats happening on the screen. So am able to win money matches, and show people that i dont suck until the drugs wear off :(
then im retarded and everything is unexpected and overwhelming lol.