View Full Version : Looking for Tips for ADHD teachers

JMS1981
05-08-09, 11:20 AM
Hello,

I'm drama teacher in his last collage year from Utrecht (the Netherlands) with ADHD!

For my final year I have you do a research. My topic: "How can I improve the working standards for the teacher with ADHD."

What I would like to end up with is a useful Toolkit, tips and tricks, which a Teacher with AD(H)D could use to improve his teaching. I found that AD(H)D comes with some diffuculties for teaching, but some talents as well.

Anybody having advize for me which I should check or could use for my final product!

Anyhoo, thanx y'all!

JMS

aloha1983
07-03-09, 08:15 AM
Hi there! Sorry this is so late but I did my assignment on this last year... look up my msn on my profile and I can help you. Good luck!

JaneB66
11-20-09, 05:53 PM
Interested in your post as I have just moved house and quit my job as a teacher. I am wondering if it is really an impossible job for someone with ADD as i was becoming so stressed with the marking and paperwork. I am job hunting now and not sure if I should stick with teaching, if there are ways to improve the job for me, or try something new.

Dizfriz
11-20-09, 06:29 PM
JMS1981

Chadd (Children and Adults with Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder) has The CHADD Educators Manual.

You can find it at http://www.chadd.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Store

This is their description: "This comprehensive manual provides an overview of the latest information regarding common learning challenges often associated with AD/HD. Specific academic and behavioral interventions are suggested for students at the preschool, elementary, middle and high school levels. An easy-to-use summary of the most common academic and behavioral challenges is included for each age level. This invaluable tool offers critical information regarding diagnosis and treatment of AD/HD,social skills,transition planning, relevant educational laws."

The stuff from CHADD is usually pretty good and it might be worth while to see if you can get from a library.

Dizfriz

AliKatski
11-21-09, 07:14 AM
I'm an English-language teacher living in Poland. Perfect for me, a lifelong ADDer, because not only do I make life interesting by using a foreign (for me) language 95% of the time, but ADHD (combined) means my lessons are fun (creativity and tons of energy), thorough (lateral thinking really helps when trying to figure out how to explain something ;)), and I'm easy going (fun is more important than serious stuff).

The best piece of advice I every heard was: 'Students only learn if they are interested.', and bearing in mind I only function when interested, it suits me fine...

And it works! :)

atrain
12-22-09, 06:24 PM
Place the child near the teacher, extended testing, breaks, modify assignments if needed. Tips teachers had for me when I was in school. Keeo the subject interesting, boring subjects in morning and exciting subjects in afternoon.