View Full Version : How much sleep did(do) you need?

Communicators
05-08-09, 06:37 PM
And I mean before the medications (for those on stims). I usually need 10-14 hours of sleep. And in order to get to bed on time, I use Benedryl. Or else I'm up till' 4 AM and sleeping till 2 PM.

I'm 100% sure now that I have ADHD. My brother thinks he does too (genetics you know), but he only needs 6-8 hours not medicated.

MissAdhd
05-08-09, 08:22 PM
4 hrs or less. I'm hyper though

Ruby85
05-08-09, 09:29 PM
You need the same amount of sleep on medication as you do off it. If you take stims, you might feel like you need less sleep, but you still require just as much sleep as before. Your body still gets tired, even if your brain is fooled by the medication.

Personally, I need 8-9 hours a night to feel well-rested. I rarely get enough sleep though. I pay for it every day at work.

ditzydreamer
05-09-09, 02:19 AM
Sleep? What's that???

RiverIsSerenity
05-09-09, 02:21 AM
Prior to treatment I felt like I needed 24 hours of sleep, now I function great even on 6 a night, but I try to get 7-8.

γ-quantum
05-10-09, 06:41 AM
i need at least six hours of sleep to function. 7 hours is okay, 8 hours is perfect, and 9 hours is very nice. anything above 10 hours of sleep, and i'll be screwed up from oversleeping.

that didnt change since i am on ritalin, i still need the same amount of sleep.

Grithor
05-10-09, 06:56 AM
It doesn't really matter for me. Sometimes I sleep early sometimes late and sometimes I stay upp all night. Mostly I sleep when I feel tired.

Michiko74
05-10-09, 08:46 AM
I usually needed the regular 8 hours, but I took a million naps before medications.

sarey
05-10-09, 08:52 AM
I rarely ever feel refreshed after sleeping. My sleeping hours vary. It can be from 3-4 hours, to 11-12 hours, to 7-8 hours, it varies, but since I'm seriously unwell right now, that may be why I'm always fatigued and is also a factor of why I have difficulty falling/staying asleep.

Before I got seriously unwell, I would say I was quite hyperactive even on little amounts of sleep, but I think that's normal in general, when you're sleep deprived, you're pretty coockoo. Moreso. But yeah, my sleeping patterns have been all over the place my whole life.

~boots~
05-10-09, 10:53 AM
crikey, for days I'll get 5-6-7 hours sleep, then I'll have a sleepless night (1/2 - 1 hour) then on a day off I can sleep till 2pm..

I don't think I have a "pattern" as some weeks I hardly sleep, then some days I hardly wake..
as long as it all equals out in the end..all is good ;)

stef
05-10-09, 12:20 PM
i need at least six hours of sleep to function. 7 hours is okay, 8 hours is perfect, and 9 hours is very nice. anything above 10 hours of sleep, and i'll be screwed up from oversleeping.

exactly the same for me. I also take naps Saturday and Sunday. I usually get just 6 hours on weekdays so there is always one day at work when I feel absolutely awful.

undermythumb
05-10-09, 12:55 PM
You need the same amount of sleep on medication as you do off it. If you take stims, you might feel like you need less sleep, but you still require just as much sleep as before. Your body still gets tired, even if your brain is fooled by the medication.

Personally, I need 8-9 hours a night to feel well-rested. I rarely get enough sleep though. I pay for it every day at work.

First day I took Dexedrine I fell asleep at 6.30am woke up at 8am and felt completely rested. Luckily went back to sleep, ended up getting about 5 hours and couldn't sleep anymore, extremely unproductive all day but stayed up until 7am convinced I would eventually do some work.. i didn't. Not even entirely sure what i did from 2.30am-6am (apart from perusing the internet).

My brain was indeed fooled! Never again.. I think I need about 7-9 hours to feel rejuvenated.

yankees440
05-10-09, 06:30 PM
Unmedicated i lived a life opposite of the rest of the world. I would go to sleep from 4-7am every night and wake up btwn 1-4pm. Medicated i go to sleep btwn 1230-2 and try to wake up btwn 9-11 everyday. Normal life just wasn't liveable the way i used to sleep. Now that i am older (21) i need to sleep and wake like a normal person.

Flutterbudget
05-10-09, 07:02 PM
I was always a fairly random sleeper -- I would get by on 5-6 hours for several nights, then sort of binge sleep for a couple days. It was hard after having kids because they needed to be on a schedule so I couldn't do my random sleep thing.

The meds have helped a lot; now I usually am in bed by 10:30 and up by 6:30. I always had trouble with being a zombie in the morning and then being really AWAKE at night, but now when the meds wear off around 8 pm I am pretty happy to go to bed early.

chartreuse
05-10-09, 07:34 PM
Prior to treatment I felt like I needed 24 hours of sleep

Yup...that was pretty much me. How is it possible to sleep 12 hours and then when I wake up my first thought would be "I'm so tired?"

From the time I started meds until about six weeks ago, 8-9 hours did me pretty well, although I could function on 7.

But now I'm in the grips of some weird sleep pattern and I literally only seem able to sleep 4-5 hours a night (this is an improvement from when I first started having trouble - at the beginning I was having totally sleepless nights and other nights where the couple hours of sleep I did get were the unrestful kind). And Friday night I went to bed at 1:30 a.m. and woke up at 5:00 a.m. - no alarm, no committments that would force me to get up before 7:30.

The weird thing is that while I'm definitely NOT at the top of my game, on the nights I get 5 hours I actually don't feel horrible the next day. I don't know what is going on; I do not believe that people can actually get by on that amount of sleep.

BTW, weird trivia here - when I started having problems with sleep, I was doing research and came across mention of a disease called something like "Fatal Familial Insomnia." It's a genetic disease that has been identified in about 28 families worldwide. People who have the gene don't usually manifest the primary symptom until their 40's. And what is the primary symptom? A COMPLETE and PERMANENT loss of ability to sleep. It is indeed fatal - and personally I can't think of many worse ways to die.

undermythumb
05-10-09, 07:47 PM
BTW, weird trivia here - when I started having problems with sleep, I was doing research and came across mention of a disease called something like "Fatal Familial Insomnia." It's a genetic disease that has been identified in about 28 families worldwide. People who have the gene don't usually manifest the primary symptom until their 40's. And what is the primary symptom? A COMPLETE and PERMANENT loss of ability to sleep. It is indeed fatal - and personally I can't think of many worse ways to die.

:eek: I'm completely horrified by this!!!... just so unbelievably unfortunate. My Mum's old boyfriend told me that when he was in the navy he had to guard a railway line for 3 days, he wasn't allowed to sleep so he started to hallucinate but he was obviously able to sleep eventually. I can't imagine what it must feel like to be so conscious of your demise. Right, i'm off to fill my brain with information on this and probably scare myself some more.

lostmykeys
05-10-09, 07:56 PM
I need about 8 hours.

Song of Mercy
05-10-09, 08:05 PM
When I was on bp meds I slept all day, got up when school was out and then crashed again at 8 or so. I got sick of it and wouldn't take meds for a time, then I barely slept. Once I was dx w/ adhd I started sleeping 7-9 hours a night...now because my pdoc messed up logging his samples I wont be able to get back on ritalin for about 2 months. Any ways, I am back to sleeping 4 or 5 hours at a time, but, it happens at least 2 times a day. I do feel rested somewhat, though I had a total meltdown 2 days ago. I called my pdoc on his cell and he gave me an action plan...exercise in short burst several times a day...so I am sleeping sort of now...at least I am not so tired I cant manage my emotions. :)

Johnny123
05-14-09, 10:14 AM
I have serious trouble getting to sleep and at one point binged on marijuana which seriously helped but made me worse off (from unmotivated to seriously unmotivated) so i have stopped and am now getting really bad insomnia where i simply do not feel tired, i feel awake and stimulated all freaking night.

it's HORRIBLE. Lesson learnt: smoking dope before bed for a few months, then suddenly stopping = :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

I'm VERY happy i have stopped dope and really dont think you guys should try it.