View Full Version : I Quit, I Think (A Teacher Speaks Out)

RedHairedWitch
05-12-09, 10:11 PM
" ...
Iíve come slowly to understand what it is I really teach: A curriculum of confusion, class position, arbitrary justice, vulgarity, rudeness, disrespect for privacy, indifference to quality, and utter dependency. I teach how to fit into a world I donít want to live in.
I just canít do it anymore. I canít train children to wait to be told what to do; I canít train people to drop what they are doing when a bell sounds; I canít persuade children to feel some justice in their class placement when there isnít any, and I can,t persuade children to believe teachers have valuable secrets they can acquire by becoming our disciples. That isnít true.

... David learns to read at age four; Rachel, at age nine: In normal development, when both are 13, you can,t tell which one learned first ó the five-year spread means nothing at all. But in school I will label Rachel ďlearning disabledĒ and slow David down a bit, too."

http://educationrevolution.stores.yahoo.net/iquit.html

oddjobace
05-12-09, 11:13 PM
" ...
I’ve come slowly to understand what it is I really teach: A curriculum of confusion, class position, arbitrary justice, vulgarity, rudeness, disrespect for privacy, indifference to quality, and utter dependency. I teach how to fit into a world I don’t want to live in.
I just can’t do it anymore. I can’t train children to wait to be told what to do; I can’t train people to drop what they are doing when a bell sounds; I can’t persuade children to feel some justice in their class placement when there isn’t any, and I can,t persuade children to believe teachers have valuable secrets they can acquire by becoming our disciples. That isn’t true.

... David learns to read at age four; Rachel, at age nine: In normal development, when both are 13, you can,t tell which one learned first — the five-year spread means nothing at all. But in school I will label Rachel “learning disabled” and slow David down a bit, too."

http://educationrevolution.stores.yahoo.net/iquit.html

Are you really expected to teach students to not be individuals who think for themselves and are accountable for there actions?

I say teach them to fish, then let them go fish.

Why not let let them know you are only human too, that you make mistakes just like the rest, that you are there to give them encouragement to speak how and what they feel, to be true to themselves even when others disagree.

It is our devine, unique, greatness that makes our world work. When this becomes suppressed, we all loose a piece of the puzzle. (insert Stars and Stripes song here)

It is great that this effects you, I have a feeling that many teachers don't feel a thing, they are numb.

This does not mean that people should not be taught to be respectful though.

hermitpermit
05-28-09, 08:49 PM
That was really abstract. I'm not really sure exactly what he is referring to.

I learned in an EDUC class about the "deficit perspective". I think that sums up a lot.

aloha1983
07-03-09, 08:16 AM
Hey- before you quit PLEASE get in contact with me- msn is on my profile or PM me.

We NEED more teachers like us! Ones that aren't afraid to be human, who cater for diversity, and who encourage each kid to be the best THEY CAN BE, not what everyone else wants them to be...