View Full Version : dexedrine vs focalin OR dexmethylphenidate vs dextroamphetamine

Yellow
05-13-09, 10:29 AM
Hey focalin people

im on dex and im very pleased with it. i ask this out of curiosity to those who have used dex (not adderall) in the past and who now use focalin.

CAn you describe differences in effects? Any subjectivity is valid, naturally, but im very very interested because ive heard great things about focalin, and since ive been told that sometimes swtichin meds (med holidays? cycling?) between lets say dex and focalin on and off for a few months each keeps the tolerance low and optimal effectiveness from the meds.

anyway, please post your thoughts and responses if you use/d both focalin and dex...

thanks

Featherhead
05-14-09, 02:50 AM
I used Vyvanse (dexamphetamine), and dealt with some intolerable side effects, such as peripheral edema. I switched to Focalin and found it very smooth and with a low side effect profile. I haven't done Dexedrine, but I've found that Dexmethylphenidate and Dexamphetamine are completely different animals. Taking a break from Focalin, for instance, won't necessarliy reduce your tolerance to Vyvanse.

Yellow
05-14-09, 10:01 AM
wow, thast pretty serious. i didnt know that could happen with dex.

i know it probably wouldnt be very useful to ask because of your allergic reaction, but while you did try to vyvanse, could you tell any of the cognitive (AD/HD symptoms) improvements or were you not on it long enough. if you did notice a positive COGNITIVE effect(obviously physically it was problematic), what was it like in comparison to focalin.

ill put it like this since ive tried adderall and dex. Adderall gets me jittery and wired past motivation to do something, its more of a cocaine induced frenzy of attention stimulation (not pleasant). Dex on the other hand, i have increased focus, slight mood elevation and stability, and less hyperactivity/impulsivity, but it is on demand in a sense. With adderall, if i wasn't doing something, anything, i felt uncomfortable with myslef. With Dex, everything is just fine with me, especially if i have to do work that i dont want to.

hollywood
05-26-09, 03:57 PM
yellow,

focalin usually has a better side effect profile than your standard ritalin. Its kind of like taking ritalin and having all the benefits without the side effects. I really think focalin xr and focalin are great meds, they just do not last quite as long as concerta , brand name ritalin is great as well though.

JR1973
05-30-09, 08:07 PM
If you've tried and tolerated methylphenidate-based meds then Focalin may be a good choice. It is a strong medication and may a good choice.

psymonkey
05-31-09, 04:34 PM
I'm taking a break from dexedrine and trying focalin. I love dexedrine! It makes me feel and act like the person/student that I know I am. I find that I don't even want to drink alcohol (I might have 2 beers a week) when I'm on it. My tolerance builds on it though, 2.5mg/2 weeks.

I start focalin tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Retromancer
05-31-09, 07:01 PM
First a quick primer.

In the world of AD(H)D there are 3 categories of medication:

Medications based on the amphetamine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine) molecule: dextro-amphetamine [is Dexstrostat still available?], Adderall, Vyvanse [nothing new under the sun...].
Medications based on the methylphenidate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate)molecule: Ritalin, Concerta, Daytrana etc.
Everything else.

As far as switching from amphetamine based meds to methylphenidate based meds to keep tolerance down I unfortunately saw this footnote in the methlphenidate Wikipedia page:

Self-stimulation and amphetamine: tolerance to d and l isomers and cross tolerance to cocaine and methylphenidate. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6791199)

I started out with methlphenidate (generic). I remember it fondly. Unfortunately at the dose that was necessary to be therapeutic, it was more cost effective to switch to dex'. I am now taking Adderall IR.

Hey focalin people

im on dex and im very pleased with it. i ask this out of curiosity to those who have used dex (not adderall) in the past and who now use focalin.

CAn you describe differences in effects? Any subjectivity is valid, naturally, but im very very interested because ive heard great things about focalin, and since ive been told that sometimes swtichin meds (med holidays? cycling?) between lets say dex and focalin on and off for a few months each keeps the tolerance low and optimal effectiveness from the meds.

anyway, please post your thoughts and responses if you use/d both focalin and dex...

thanks

hollywood
06-01-09, 08:41 AM
retromancer,

in your footnote that you posted my guess is that your saying that no matter if you are taking amp or mph that tollerance and cross tolerance are unavoidable correct? I'm wondering if certain adjuncts would or could play a role in protecting or inhibiting tolerance to stimulants. Anyways if tolerance is unavoidable in rats than wouldn't it decrease the efficacy of long term adhd treatment unless you take substantial time off during treatment, or is this simply because the rats are using the stimulants to get high and not seek treatment? I imagine thats a likely explanation to cross tolerance in the study that seems to be rather invalid because these are animals not humans.

Retromancer
06-01-09, 09:22 AM
Actually I was simply noting the existence of the footnote. As I believe I said I was skimming through the Wikipedia entry when I saw the footnote. I leave the reader to pursue the details.

As I stated earlier I switched from methylphenidate to dex' because it was more cost-effective for my dosage level. (I am 6' 4" and +/- 300 lbs. My initial dosage needless to say starts out a little higher than the norm...)

retromancer,

in your footnote that you posted my guess is that your saying that no matter if you are taking amp or mph that tollerance and cross tolerance are unavoidable correct? I'm wondering if certain adjuncts would or could play a role in protecting or inhibiting tolerance to stimulants. Anyways if tolerance is unavoidable in rats than wouldn't it decrease the efficacy of long term adhd treatment unless you take substantial time off during treatment, or is this simply because the rats are using the stimulants to get high and not seek treatment? I imagine thats a likely explanation to cross tolerance in the study that seems to be rather invalid because these are animals not humans.

Annwn
06-01-09, 10:42 AM
I thought size and weight were not an issue with the meds? Can the be for people who are larger?

hollywood
06-01-09, 01:26 PM
I don't think that size and weight are an issue, it's all about metabolism. I have often wondered if strenuous exercise changes metabolism.

Retromancer
06-01-09, 01:57 PM
There is never a one to one correspondence, of course. A wide range of responses can be expected. There are a number of variables besides body weight. But if you read the literature you will come across a suggested dosage ratio of 0.30 mg/kg.

I thought size and weight were not an issue with the meds? Can the be for people who are larger?

Yellow
06-02-09, 08:52 PM
well just to let you guys know. ive read what you said but talked to the doc. since my snri has slight DRI action, adding another more potent DRI wouldnt make sense, like taking wellbutrin with focalin, almost....anyway, he said not to bother since the dex is workin fine, and the combo is probably better considering the meds im on. thanks tho