View Full Version : Thyroid causing symptoms?

mccinny
05-14-09, 01:02 AM
My wife is hyperthyroid and has recently gone through some changes in meds. A friend, who is a nurse, suggested she read a particular book on the subject. I started reading the same book and was shocked that it can be inrelated with many of the symptoms of ADD and other issues. It even claimed that some people with thyroid problems actually had improvement of ADD/ADHD symptoms after getting regulated.

Has anyone heard this before or had any experience with this personally? I know that its true that if you read up on illness enough, you can find symptoms to match your own. But I was truly shocked at how many of the thyroid symptoms that I had myself. Although I had a brief test done at a hospital in the past, I'm considering whether I should get checked out properly.

Curious to hear any experiences or info. Thanks.

D

Carissa
05-18-09, 03:36 PM
My wife is hyperthyroid and has recently gone through some changes in meds. A friend, who is a nurse, suggested she read a particular book on the subject. I started reading the same book and was shocked that it can be inrelated with many of the symptoms of ADD and other issues. It even claimed that some people with thyroid problems actually had improvement of ADD/ADHD symptoms after getting regulated.

Has anyone heard this before or had any experience with this personally? I know that its true that if you read up on illness enough, you can find symptoms to match your own. But I was truly shocked at how many of the thyroid symptoms that I had myself. Although I had a brief test done at a hospital in the past, I'm considering whether I should get checked out properly.

Curious to hear any experiences or info. Thanks.

D
I am hypothyroid. I am regulated . My advice is get the actual amount of active thyroid hormone checked. Because the the TSH is usless for some people. (I'm one of them)
I have never noticed a differerence in my ADD/ADHD either way.

novagal
05-18-09, 04:37 PM
I saw this last week and was going to respond - but I forgot! (sorry)

I'm hypothyroid, diagnosed about four years ago. My complaints regarding my thinking and fatigue were similar to some of my complaints for adhd. I do feel that treating my thyroid helped, now whether or not it just helped the hypothyroid symtoms or the adhd symptoms I can't say, because they seemed to overlap. It didn't change it enough for me to not need other help though, I was diagnosed with adhd in January. I'm glad I got the thyroid issues balanced out first though.

There are actually many conditions that imitate adhd, and it's important that these be ruled out before getting the adhd diagnosis.

I agree with Carissa about getting the active thyroid hormone checked. The tsh didn't tell the full story for me either.

mccinny
05-26-09, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the info. I got checked once in the hospital and I have no idea what the test was. But I assume they just ran some blood samples. My wife is hyper and tells me that you really have to get more specific testing as some things can be overlooked.

D

γ-quantum
05-26-09, 06:30 AM
yeah, the symptoms of ad(h)d and a thyroid malfunction can be very similar; this is why a thorough evaluation was done before i got diagnosed with adhd.

mccinny
06-09-09, 02:49 PM
I tested positive for ADD, but have yet to receive a full thyroid panel testing. That is in the works soon.

D