View Full Version : I could SO work for Men in Black !!!

A1A5KA
05-15-09, 09:58 AM
"The Twins keep us on Centaurian time, itís a 37 hour schedule. Give it a few months, youíll get used to it, or have a psychotic episode"

- Agent "K"

I just finished the semester and I haven't found a summer job yet. So the following is a record of my absolutely insane idea this week to just sleep whenever I feel like it and not bother setting an alarm clock:

Sunday: I got the week off to a good start!! Woke up at 7:15 am.

Monday: Finally got to sleep about 3 am. Slept 10 hours and got up at about 1 pm.

Tuesday: Didn't get to bed until 6 am. People pounding on the wall (they're remodeling the apartment next door) woke me up at 9:30 am. I am WAY too awake for just 3 1/2 hours of sleep!

Wednesday: I think my circadian rhythm has gone insane! I stayed up until 9 am and then slept until 6 pm. Nine hours. Pretty normal, just in the wrong time of day.

Thursday: I decided to see if I could kickstart myself into a normal sleep pattern. I woke up at 6 pm on Wednesday, right? Well I was going to stay up until 10 on Thursday. Then I could sleep for 8 hours and wake up at 6 am on Friday. Nice plan. Didn't work. At 2 pm, I drifted off and slept until 6 pm. 4 hours of sleep.

Friday (today): Turns out that was the only sleep I got on Thursday. Now, here I am at 6 am on Friday morning, still awake. I really am going to get some sleep soon, I swear! But I also have to be up, awake, and ready to go to lunch with a friend at 12 pm!

Help? Advice? Commiserations? I have got to get into a regular sleep schedule fast because 1. As soon as I find a summer job, I'll have to follow a normal work schedule. And 2. Starting at the end of August, I will have classes at 8 am in the mornings!!

Amy

FinallyAnswered
05-15-09, 10:52 AM
Hi Amy.....

My only advice would be to move out of Alaska! LOL...The land of the Midnight Sun? Yikes.....what was that Pacino movie based in Alaska...."Insomnia", I think? Isn't insomnia a way of life in Alaska? At least in the summer months?

Enjoy lunch!

A1A5KA
05-15-09, 11:48 AM
Good theory, but I have this same problem all year 'round. Besides, I'm in Southeast Alaska. Up North beyond Fairbanks is where they get 6 months of total daylight and 6 months of total night. Down here in the Inside Passage, we get about 16 hours of daylight at Summer Solstice and 4 hours of daylight at winter solstice. Doesn't matter for me though. Day or night, lights on or off, the amount of light doesn't seem to make a difference to whether I get insomnia or whether I end up sleeping too much.

qinkin
06-01-09, 06:03 AM
I slept like 12-14 hours, about last night (I think??)

it was easier on stimulant meds... to fall asleep when I'm tired.. i feel more peaceful under its influence.. but I jsut have to accept that i'll never be like everybody else.. so I'll just take my meds, regularly... despite not being on a 24-hour sleep schedule.. more like 48 hour sleep routine.. a few years ago, I stayed up w/o sleeping for like 3 days, and slept for like about 24 hours.. which is why I gave up my classes.. but I wasn't really miserable, or crazy or anything.. i always felt so good after those extended sleep periods..

just also make sure I get enough food and stuff, so I don' feel like uttercrap... I always wondered how crazy sleep cycles would be in the NOrth:) and how, that I'm of Norwegian descent, might have something to do w/it

Retromancer
06-01-09, 07:58 AM
Hmm just what medication-- and at what dosage -- are you taking? It does sound like the classic amphetamine binge... (Not preaching here, regular Adderall user myself...)

I slept like 12-14 hours, about last night (I think??)

it was easier on stimulant meds... to fall asleep when I'm tired.. i feel more peaceful under its influence.. but I jsut have to accept that i'll never be like everybody else.. so I'll just take my meds, regularly... despite not being on a 24-hour sleep schedule.. more like 48 hour sleep routine.. a few years ago, I stayed up w/o sleeping for like 3 days, and slept for like about 24 hours.. which is why I gave up my classes.. but I wasn't really miserable, or crazy or anything.. i always felt so good after those extended sleep periods..

just also make sure I get enough food and stuff, so I don' feel like uttercrap... I always wondered how crazy sleep cycles would be in the NOrth:) and how, that I'm of Norwegian descent, might have something to do w/it

A1A5KA
06-01-09, 11:45 AM
Retromancer, I'm not sure if you were asking me or quinkin, but I'll answer anyways. At the time I started this thread, I was taking 7.5 mg of Dexedrine 3 times a day. Or at least that's what I was prescribed. Some days I forgot a dose or two (or three!!) but I never never ever took more than the 22 1/2 mg per day. Quinkin, how about you?

Retromancer
06-01-09, 02:29 PM
I was responding to quikin's "stay awake 48 hours then crash" sleep cycle... ;)

As I noted I'm not here to preach. I am having the odd -- for me -- experience of being both underemployed and medicated. My sleep cycle is a wee bit erratic, too. I am taking 60 mg (3 x 2 x 10 mg) of Adderall daily.

Retromancer, I'm not sure if you were asking me or quinkin, but I'll answer anyways. At the time I started this thread, I was taking 7.5 mg of Dexedrine 3 times a day. Or at least that's what I was prescribed. Some days I forgot a dose or two (or three!!) but I never never ever took more than the 22 1/2 mg per day. Quinkin, how about you?

qinkin
06-07-09, 12:20 AM
ohya, Adderall15mgs perdose (so ya, you guys are spot on)

i just switched 2night/thismorning... :D b/c 15mgs was more than I was ever prescribed ever in mylife.. prolly for a good reason

so it's like 7-1/2=3x for me for right now

hopefully after 2night and 2morrow, i'll sleep more regularly..

I am taking 60 mg (3 x 2 x 10 mg) of Adderall daily.
that made me wince.. :o. do your hands shake a lot?

Retromancer
06-07-09, 12:39 AM
No hand shaking, no other issues. I have to admit I am using it today (Saturday) not to be productive but to sleep! I take a dose and go take yet another nap. What can I say I am totally broke and have little to do that is at all interesting...

qinkin
06-07-09, 01:16 AM
well, I'm the kind of person, that could never sleep---> at school.. ever.. it never happened...even if I did not sleep the night b4..even w/o meds or caffeine,... I never even had caffeine in highschool, or meds.. basically...but I could usually sleep every night.. and the meds now, have ignited a definite marker for irregularity...

my buddy from middle school... was like, none of my other friends could stay awake w/me all night.. when we had sleep overs.. but I would totally crash soon after that.. we didn't do drugs or anything..

right b4 my meds, a couple months ago, I was sleeping 'til about 11am.. so i was prolly getting at least 8-9hours, per night of sleep..

I slept at least 12 hours today:D

qinkin
06-12-09, 04:12 PM
i'm pretty regular now... now I can sleep everynight, 'cept last night, lol, as long as I exercise enough.. at least so far... last night I did not exercise, really at all..'sides chores...

like I think I need to die everyday to fall asleep:D i need irrefutable reasons, i guess death would be sufficient for sleeping??

you get much exercise A1aska?

well i guess it's a good thing I have to ride my clunky bike nearly 10miles to get to this computer, then..

so halving my doses (which I take everysingle day)....helps in the long run, 5mgs, may be better than 7-1/2mgs..but that'll be a while, cuzz I get 15mgs tablets, til, August..

just providing some closure, for my part... i kind of left this thread in shambles, sorry. :o