View Full Version : Newbi questions....

wyowolf
05-15-09, 12:44 PM
I am the father of a 6 1/2 year old boy. He is very hyper most of the time. overall though he is a very happy child, never mean, throws fits ect... loves to play, color etc...mostly just hyper. is there something to control this part?? we have tried to eliminate bad things from his diet, but honestly he dosnt eat much candy/coke/junk food. Have been reading through for a few days but didnt find one that fit our child. Just wanted some thoughts and opinions..

Frank

StoicNate
05-15-09, 01:44 PM
Get him involved in some sports to get all that energy out of him.
It seems natural for him to be very active at that age.
As long as he doesn't have problems with attention or is doing poorly in school..seems to be a normal kid.
Spend time going on walks, riding bikes, playing catch..etc.

wyowolf
05-15-09, 01:57 PM
well his teachers say he he is hyper all the time and dosnt focus on his work, rushes through it to go play, etc. Sports is something he is VERY good at, BaseBall, Football, very co ordinated , i would almost say talented :)

StoicNate
05-15-09, 02:14 PM
well his teachers say he he is hyper all the time and dosnt focus on his work, rushes through it to go play, etc. Sports is something he is VERY good at, BaseBall, Football, very co ordinated , i would almost say talented :)

At least he has the motivation from sports you can turn it into a reward system. Don't try to rush him into seeing a doc unless you can't help him focus at any rate.
Ritalin was a terrible med for me when I was around his age.
Do what's right for your son.

MGDAD
05-15-09, 02:54 PM
There are not any treatments besides medication that have been proven to have any real efficacy.

Is he having significant problems in school? Sounds like he is doing OK at home. How does he do with friends? The big problem areas for kids (besides the hyperactivity) are difficulty in focusing on tedious tasks (schoolwork) and problems with relationships. Medication can help in all those areas.

If you feel he is having significant problems, the first thing is to get him evaluated by a physician. At least then you can get a bette indication of the severity of the problem.

wyowolf
05-15-09, 04:44 PM
he is having some problems in school, but is probably in the middle to lower middle of his class. I feel that is mostly due to his hyperness. Unfortunatly at this school, private, i dont think he gets enough excercise and that is part of the problem. Though maybe not all... He is a very freindly child, never is mean or anything like that, just wild as HE!! Like he drank 15 cups of coffee. but at night he sleeps good for the most part. at least as well as any other 6 yr old i guess.

Justtess
05-17-09, 04:28 PM
Yikes... if you're finding that he may need more movement around the classroom, how about suggesting to the teacher that he's allowed frequent breaks (maybe as a messanger to the office) on a school plan? If that isn't allowable, there are these bouncy chairs that help with fidgiting. Some kids are good at keeping their hands busy and pay attention to the whole lesson while other kids can't master it. You can test this by seeing if he knew what the movie was about after watching it at home. If he knows very little, I would try to see if I could refocus him back to the movie the next time looses focus. That may give you an idea how much help he needs to keep his attention onto an activity.

MGDAD
05-18-09, 02:50 PM
So, if you think the reason that he is in the lower to middle third is because of his hyperactivity, then his performance is not matching his aptitude. That is a reason to have more evaluation done.

Does he have any good friends?

wyowolf
05-19-09, 07:45 AM
Yes he has a lot of freinds, he is like the class hero. they all love Ben. Its funny cause i see him making mistakes, as any child would do, but other times he blows right through it and gets it all right. We are looking at karate as a way to give him something to do. Changing his diet dosent seem to have much effect, at least that i can see.

MGDAD
05-19-09, 12:34 PM
It is good that he has a lot of friends. Most ADHDers have troubles with friendships, partially due to their impulsivity. Count your blessings.

There have been some recent studies on food dyes/additives linking them to hyperactivity. There was a fairly large one done in England a couple years ago. If hyperactivity is your main problem it might be worth a try to eliminate food dyes and additives from his diet. At least for a trial period. Here is a link to an article about the study.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/health/research/06hyper.html

They list some of the additives the kids were fed, but I dont think that is the complete list.

The standard argument about restricting your childs diet is that your child will be ostracized for their food restrictions, and or will make your child feel bad that he/she cant eat certain foods. I think that argument is completely bogus. Mainly because in the next breath the doctors tell you to get your kids to eat plenty of fruits and vegetables and avoid processed foods. Isnt that a diet restriction too?

Here is the pubmed link.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17825405?ordinalpos=2&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Oh, and yes this may seem to contradict what I said above, but it doesnt. This study does not "prove" anything. However, it does give some credibility to the possibility that food additives/dyes can cause hyperactivity in children.

wyowolf
05-19-09, 02:06 PM
thanks for the info, really i do wonder if its food related. we have tried to cut out everything we could think of that has colors red, yellow, in it, and it hasnt seemed to do anything. how long til you notice a change? i say for a kid he eats pretty well. his mom feeds him, veggies - broc and carrots are his fav, corn, egg, rice, some chicken, italian sausage, sometimes steak, only when daddy cooks it... i really do wish i could find him being effected by food one way or the other... so far he is still the same. we are giving him fish oil which i have heard good things about... maybe thats just the way he is...

Frank

highpriority4
05-19-09, 06:07 PM
thanks for the info, really i do wonder if its food related. we have tried to cut out everything we could think of that has colors red, yellow, in it, and it hasnt seemed to do anything. how long til you notice a change? i say for a kid he eats pretty well. his mom feeds him, veggies - broc and carrots are his fav, corn, egg, rice, some chicken, italian sausage, sometimes steak, only when daddy cooks it... i really do wish i could find him being effected by food one way or the other... so far he is still the same. we are giving him fish oil which i have heard good things about... maybe thats just the way he is...

Frank

Ben sounds just like my son.:) We finally put Logan on 18mg Concerta once a day. It is the lowest dose of concerta available and it is time released. We give it to him with breakfast in the morning and it lasts him through the school day. There is nothing we are trying to "control" other than helping him to concentrate on his school work a little better. It sounds like your son may benefit from this. I was hesitant to use medication...we tried everything else first and involved his teacher who was VERY much into helping us do everything possible. In the end, I put Logan 1st and he really did need the medication. I would suggest you speak with your son's pediatrician if you havent already. There are many good evaluations out there that accurately diagnose ADHD. Its worth a shot...Logan is MUCH better off. He was struggling really bad with feeling down about not being able to concentrate on his homework ect...and I didnt even realize he was feeling this way because he never showed any outward signs. I'm glad we finally found something to help him...if you ask him, he will tell you he likes to take his medicine...he says it helps him concentrate & think straight. Hope this helps some.

Arei
05-19-09, 08:42 PM
In 1st grade I had a very understanding teacher who didn't give me a hard time for my issues same with 3rd grade (best teacher ever). These were teachers who turned my *problems* that other teachers had with me into talents.

Honestly I was too smart and caught on faster then everyone else, and some teachers this really ****es them off. I don't see why, but for some it does. Its not the same as being hyper maybe, but I was super super talkative and would blurt out answers alot or just go on babbling tangents im sure (I still do that sometimes XP).

I second talking to your son's teacher and see if there are things he can do to keep himself busy during downtime (like after he finishes his work) or things, like someone suggested being a messenger, so he can let some energy out.

I was given special tasks so I was not disruptive in some cases, or unhappy in others (the nice teachers xD), because I usually finished well before the other kids. In 3rd grade I got to go install programs and do other tasks on the computer, or change the bulliten board/mighty mountain excercises on the wall (Lol, in 2nd grade i was actually a bit taller then my teacher, she had to be near dwarf as I was probably just shy of 5 foot at the time)... I was much taller then most of the other kids so I got to help take down the things. I did this a lot in elementary school.

There are so many little chores around the classroom that I'm sure if you spoke with his teacher about, they might be able to find things to keep him busy and keep him moving so he is not distruptive or distracted and it might help him to pay more attention to his work... maybe XD It depends on the person, but it may help motivate him to know if he does his work and does it right, get gets to do special things. It made me feel very proud at the time to take down and put up very intricate bulletin board things.

*KJ*
05-20-09, 08:01 AM
Try reducing sugars, processed and simple. If you are 'wondering' if it is food related, then it likely is part of the problem.

Some kids get hyper from milk, others from gluten too. Kids get hyper or 'punchy' for loads of reasons...even from poor sleep, so that's something else to consider too.

If you've already started reducing additives, preservatives and artificials...then I'd try sugars next...I'm assuming he doesn't get caffiene, but obviously that could make him hyper too. Although I've seen a few times that caffiene is a test for ADHD...that ADHDers actually get a sedative affect from caffiene. I'm not sure how true that is, and I've never tried it with my son.

Good luck.

wyowolf
05-20-09, 12:20 PM
Yes i think sleep is a big one, i have noticed he gets very whiney if he dosent sleep.

Caffeine? really? maybe i should give him a cup of coffee!

thanks to everyone!