View Full Version : Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome? (DSPS)

sharkie13
05-19-09, 09:05 PM
I just re-looked over the results of my polysomnograph tests (sleep test) and even though it said I showed symptoms of narcolepsy, it did mention that this could instead be caused by insufficient sleep due to "Delayed Sleep Phase Syndrome" Which certainly would make sense, because on holidays and vacations when I can use my own sleep schedule, I get full nights of good restful sleep, except that I fall asleep at 4AM and wake up at 2PM. During school this is lessened so that I usually fall asleep at around 1 or 1:30 AM, egardless of when I get in bed. Seeing as I have to get up at 6:30 this is a problem and I usually get less than 5 hours of sleep (as opposed to the 7-9 hours that a teenager SHOULD get).

Now, the provigil I'm on does a great job of countering my excessive daytime sleepyness, whatever the cause of it may be, however it would be nice if somebody could offer me any ideas as to how I could jump back my sleep phase to at least some extent. Even if I can function day-to-day with 5 hours of sleep and Provigil, it's probably not the best idea and my brain function and concentration would probably improve greatly with more sleep.

ADDnBeyond
05-21-09, 02:54 PM
Hey Sharkie,

I self diagnosed myself with DSPS a few months ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I used chronotherapy to get my sleep schedule on track. I started out by going to bed around 10 or 11 am and then every day, I went to sleep 2 hrs later until I came full circle and ended up sleeping at night.

It was very difficult as I was exhausted, dehydrated, and had symptoms one would get from jet lag (nausea etc). However, it has really changed my life. By the 7th day, I was so happy I did it and so proud of myself. I used to stay up until 6-8 am EVERY night. Now I normally go to bed in between 1-3 am (although some nights are better than others ;)

I am now able to do thing I haven't been able to do in years! This is not something someone should do if they want to get to bed an hour earlier but just can't do it. This is for people who need to go to bed several hours earlier. So depending on your situation, this may or may not be right for you.

I would suggest however, that if you do it, you use the aide of a doctor. I did NOT but I don't wanna advise you to do anything that could affect your health so working with a doctor is probably best.

Btw, what is a provigil?