View Full Version : Well then. Does anyone take antidepressant + Desoxyn (SSRI,SNRI,DRI, NRI or other)

Yellow
05-20-09, 05:41 PM
The title of the thread says it:

Anyone here on a combo of Desoxyn with an anti depressant?

DESOXYN + SSRI/SNRI/NRI/NDRI/DRI/TCA/NaSSa/SARI

Dosing of each?

Thank you

Yellow
05-22-09, 07:30 PM
you could also read this post

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68331

nkennedy85
09-10-09, 03:53 AM
I notice you posted this several months ago, so I don't know if you've still looking for answers to this...

But I also noticed no one replied yet, so here goes:

I take 30 mg Desoxyn and 10 mg Lexapro daily. Each person's necessary dosage can be different, though, and when dealing with this particular combination of meds, it's crucial that you find the right amount of each.

I had already been on Desoxyn for 2 years when my doc prescribed the SSRI. Originally, I was to take 20 mg Lexapro daily, but that high of a dose made me extremely drowsy, to the point where I could hardly stay awake for longer than 2 or 3 hours at a time. My thoughts were very muggy, and although I have been an A/B student all through college, I suddenly found I could scarcely conjure up enough critical thinking skills to write a single paragraph. Basically, the Desoxyn was rendered completely useless, as was I.

I stopped taking the Lexapro, and within a week my concentration level/effectiveness of ADHD meds returned; unfortunately, so did my depression.

I told my doctor I wanted to try Lexapro again, preparing to cope with the incapacitating fatigue--the price I found myself willing to pay to feel "okay."

Much to my surprise, though, the 10 mg/ daily Lexapro dosage which he gave me this time was not merely "a little less horrible" than the 20 I had been taking previously; it was perfect! The Desoxyn was no less effective, and I did not feel down in the dumps anymore, either.

I have been taking this amount of each med for about three months now, and I can honestly say that the only side effect I have experienced is slight weight gain.

Just F.Y.I., it is a little-known fact that SSRI's simultaneously slow your metabolism AND increase your appetite; my doctor was very upfront with me about this, and so from the start, I have tried to ensure I get a decent amount of exercise, and I've also since begun buying lowfat foods. I have really only gained between 5 and 10 lbs since the start of the new med (was 15, but I walked it off :), and I would imagine a lot of people do not experience any weight problems at all; it varies.

muldoon
09-10-09, 04:37 AM
Just F.Y.I., it is a little-known fact that SSRI's simultaneously slow your metabolism AND increase your appetite; my doctor was very upfront with me about this, and so from the start, I have tried to ensure I get a decent amount of exercise, and I've also since begun buying lowfat foods. I have really only gained between 5 and 10 lbs since the start of the new med (was 15, but I walked it off :), and I would imagine a lot of people do not experience any weight problems at all; it varies.

Tell me about it. I gained 70+ pounds on Paxil. I could never get full from a large meal. In addition, I experienced lethargy as well, so motivating myself to burn even some of the calories I consumed off was all but impossible.

I believe the appetite regulation center of the brain is affected with SSRIs. Or just the fact that serotonin plays a part in appetite in general.

Omegaboi87
09-16-09, 04:56 AM
Hey I have a pretty flexible PDoc, but I'm perscribed Luvox 200xr for anxiety/ocd/depression, Lamictal, mood-instability and simple partial seizures, and then dexedrine or desoxyn depending on how the day feels. Although checmically similar, the practical differences between the two dexedrine and desoxyn, make them both incredibly useful. I have found that desoxyn helps me to function like a normal person... I'm calmer, more social, more organized.... Dexedrine gives you a more "driven" focus"; you wanna read an entire textbook in four hours.... Dexedrine is your man.

I think they can be both useful when desoxyn is taken throughout the day, and then strategically use dexedrine throughout the day.