View Full Version : Hello Getting my 6 1/2 year old tested for ADHD

Mamakat
05-22-09, 12:26 PM
we are getting my son tested for ADHD on the 29th. I really feel he has it and has struggled for the last 2 years with it. I have just convinced my husband to get my son tested. My husband was so against it because he is afraid they will just put my son on meds and turn him into a zombie. it has taken 2 years of my son struggling through school to convince my husband that we at least need to know what we are dealing with and if it is ADHD then there are other ways then just slaping him on meds. yes it may come to the point were only meds can help butt that will be the last thing we try.

I was on meds for it for 5 years when I was younger and have learned to deal with it now. it saddens me that my son is going through this now.

ndnbutterfly
05-22-09, 01:12 PM
Hi Mamakat! Welcome to the forums! :)

I am ADD too. So is my son, he's 6 1/2 also!

He hasn't been formally tested, but I'm CERTAIN he has it. He is sooo hyper (although I'm not) and he acts just like me! It's scary sometimes!

I'm going to wait and see how school starts out and if he's having troblem then check in to med options. I'm very afraid to put him on meds even though I take them.

I'm afraid he won't be the same boy. I'm just used to him the way he is. Even though people see him and they are like "what's wrong with him?" and I just smile and say "nothing, he's always been like this!"

MGDAD
05-22-09, 02:37 PM
Meds do not make children zombies. They are the same person. They dont just reduce the hyperactivity, they allow one to focus better. Dont make a decision about meds based on unfounded opinions.

Having said that, good luck with the evaluation.

FullTimeMom
05-22-09, 03:51 PM
I agree with MGDAD. It will help him feel better about himself, especially if he is struggling. My kids are able to focus in school on the medication, but that does not mean that they are different.

Mamakat
05-22-09, 10:23 PM
I understand what meds can do for him I was on ritalin for 5 years when I was his age. My husband has just never had to deal with anything like this so he doesnt know the benafits so we are going to proced with caution. if we can control this and help my son without meds then we want to try that way 1st. I have seen some kids myself that were over medacated and were like zombies so I do understand My husbands fears also.

I am just releaved that we are going to finaly know what we are dealing with so we can help my son as best we can.

Dizfriz
05-23-09, 01:16 PM
I really liked this post by kcat. It might be well worth a read. There is hope.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=745843&postcount=1

Dizfriz