View Full Version : Teva will be able to ship new IR focalin on..

phenyl
05-23-09, 06:32 PM
.. June 1st.

I know there's been a shortage and many of us on focalin IR have had to purchase brand name. For folks with no insurance the price difference isn't very large, but the difference is QUITE large with insurance. 60 10 mg teva dexmethylphenidate tablets have a $10 copay while 60 10 mg brand (Novartis) dexmethylphenidate have a $50 copay :mad:

My pharmacist has been checking up on the situation for me and the computers are finally showing that Teva can ship out more generic focalin starting June 1st. Since this is an exclusive / authorized generic, Novartis can and apparently does limit how many doses can be shipped per quarter of generic dexmethylphenidate by Teva.

In the mean time I got my meds by having my pdoc write for 120 5 mg pills which the pharmacy still had in stock instead of 60 10 mg pills.

elegy
05-23-09, 10:49 PM
Phew!

Right when I was getting adjusted to the generic, POW! Back to brand. Now I get to do it all over again... lol.

You think you have it bad?! Try 60mg per day, 180 pills! :P

phenyl
05-24-09, 01:32 PM
Phew!

Right when I was getting adjusted to the generic, POW! Back to brand. Now I get to do it all over again... lol.

You think you have it bad?! Try 60mg per day, 180 pills! :P

Wow yeah, that's a lot of pills for a 60 mg per day dose. Not that there's anything wrong with being on 60 mg per day -- I think the FDA recommended max dosage of 20 mg per day is way too low. I'm on that max dosage (10 mg 2x per day) and it's not THAT strong ... it's just enough to control my symptoms. I could see how folks especially who have a huge hyperactivity component could need more focalin than 20 mg. I'm mostly inattentive (big time space cadet here) with a little hyperactivity (usually verbal hyperactivity, sometimes I'll say such random stuff and my friends or family will be like "where the heck did that come from?").

People get confused as to why stimulants would help ADHD because they don't understand that the probable cause of the hyperactivity and inattention is UNDERstimulation of the brain's dopamine pathways. We space out and manifest hyperactivity to try to get enough stimulation. Stimulants raise the basal brain activity rate so we don't need to seek out such external stimulation through inattention (so our thoughts can bounce all over) or hyperactivity.

Everyone could tell when I went without my Focalin for a few days. I started saying the randomest things out of the blue again and got the "WTF?" looks from everyone :D

It's not even that I say odd things per-say but I say stuff that literally derails a conversation when I'm not on meds. I guess that's my hyperactivity component. The inattention isn't visible but shows in my grades --- before focalin I had a terrible GPA, with focalin I'm on the dean's list. My class notes even look more organized and they actually make sense to me later when I look over them --- and there's significantly less random geometric shapes scribbled in the margins :o