View Full Version : what sort of planner do you use?

alphalpha
05-24-09, 05:22 AM
I have been searching for an appropriate planner...but most planners seems to highly restrictive...and have gone back to using a plane old rule book...I guess my tendency to get disorganised has found its path to my day planner too... :)

Most planners seem to have only one column for everything you have to do..while I tend to write everything down, right down to every bit of information..just so that I dont forget..which does happen quite a bit...

Michiko74
10-08-09, 03:50 PM
The planners that work the best for me are the ones where you can see the whole month, plus have a spot for the day to day things. I think a lot of student calenders are set up like this.

Amburgular
10-08-09, 04:11 PM
I use 2 planners. I have a monthly planner I keep by the desk, I use highlighters to keep keep track of things. The other one is a smaller one that I can take in my purse, it is organized by weeks with a month overlook every month.

I understand the feeling of most planners being to restrictive but if I don't have the dates put in for me I won't use the planner. I tried using a Palm Pilot 6+ years ago but I learned that I have to have things written down and in color, that is probably just a little quirk of mine.

hceuterpe
10-10-09, 03:56 PM
I use my cell phone. It's a Windows Mobile 6 phone. It syncs calendaring, phone book, tasks etc. It also has a stylus so you can take notes the old fashioned way (something you can't really do on a blackberry or a iPhone). You can also view the same info via web access or Outlook.

No I don't work for Microsoft.

Yes, I am an overall geeky girl.

Yes it does cost more vs a regular cell phone bill most of the time. But I have the advantage of taking it with me always, and it's not an extra thing I have to carry around.

FrazzleDazzle
10-10-09, 04:10 PM
+1 to the poster above me whom I cannot pronounce her name or spell it without looking at it. :p

I too, have become overly geeky and converted (evolved?) to my phone, which is my iphone, because I am a mac girl. I do not work for Apple. I used to absolutely go crazy with paper planners and highlighters, until I got too busy to open it and look at it. I like the phone because I can customize reminders for EVERYTHING I need to do, it's always by my side. And, there are alot of apps out there, one has got to suit one's needs.

hceuterpe
10-10-09, 04:15 PM
Ok, so before we turn this into the age-old Windows/Mac debate, can we just agree that an electronic phone-based organizer with a sync option is good?

I can certainly spell my name out. Take out the first letter (first letter of my first name), the second letter (first letter of my last name), and the rest? If you don't know who that is, you can enlighten yourself today:D

hceuterpe
10-10-09, 04:33 PM
Btw, FrazzleDazzle, the iPhone is much better than Windows Mobile 6.1, but I bet you're paying way more than $30/month for essentially the same service, but less high speed data coverage ;)

FrazzleDazzle
10-10-09, 04:38 PM
I get your name now, no offense intended. I'm a little quirky today lol!

I kinda had to get the iphone, I dug in my heels at first, but found I love it. I have a corporate discount with ATT on the service and data plan, and there was absolutely no other phone they offered that was mac compatible with syncing with my mac at home. It truly is the all-in-one solution for me and my setup.

Not to say that other phones are not just as awesome! There are more and more smartphone gizmos out there every day that make life easier and funner to take care of. The options are endless! :-)

LaManna
10-10-09, 05:48 PM
I tried using my phone for a while, but it took too long to enter a simple note and I'm too impatient to fiddle about like that. I use a monthly planner that is A5 size and keep it next to the phone in the kitchen. Everyone in the house can reference the calendar and knows what's going on. I've photocopied the pages and keep a page with a month on each side and slip it into my purse. Diaries are too cumbersome to carry around- I'd lose it anyway. Different coloured pens are a must!

hceuterpe
10-10-09, 10:10 PM
I get your name now, no offense intended. I'm a little quirky today lol!

I kinda had to get the iphone, I dug in my heels at first, but found I love it. I have a corporate discount with ATT on the service and data plan, and there was absolutely no other phone they offered that was mac compatible with syncing with my mac at home. It truly is the all-in-one solution for me and my setup.

FrazzleDazzle, I don't sync at all with my computer, I sync with the data connection via Sprint and an online exchange server (yeah my own, now I sound really geeky:D). Exchange is really popular in the business world, and I found it works well for personal use, too. The accounts are regularly $10 a month, but in my opinion well worth it. Not sure if you sync via your data connection, or if you have to sync via a Mac?

Not to say that other phones are not just as awesome! There are more and more smartphone gizmos out there every day that make life easier and funner to take care of. The options are endless! :-)I actually think there are too many. Yeah Palm? We don't need another unique Phone platform from you. And Nokia, you lost years ago, please go back home...

lostranslation
10-10-09, 11:48 PM
Planner?

Hahahahahaha!

I write stuff on random slips of paper and clip them above my desk with a clothes pin.

peripatetic
10-11-09, 05:02 PM
at work i have microsoft outlook. i put *everything* on it. i also have an iphone and put reminders in there or connect to outlook when i'm out of the office.

it's successful *if* i put in sufficient detail.

melby1980
11-10-09, 01:34 AM
I have taken to carrying around a dayrunner organizer/planner and it is my bible. it has a calendar, all the fun tabby things (Info, Notes, To Do, Projects, Expenses, clear card holder (I use for appointment cards) a nifty pouch, notebook, daily planner It seems to help keep me on track a lot lately.

munky_do
12-08-09, 07:04 PM
At the moment I'm using the original palm pilot.. the back of my hand, sadly :/ I'm trying to get used to using a student planner and I've bought a big monthly desk calendar; just need to clean off my desk first to use it :D

atrain
12-09-09, 11:37 AM
I use a daily planner with the spaces that are big and are readable. It has a calendar and write all my appointments and stuff I need to do in it. If I did not do this I would be a wreck and forgot times to go to work and other appointments as well.

Legault
12-10-09, 11:43 PM
I've recently started using a pocket sized notebook. initially it was supposed to be organized (lol), but I keep thinking of different things of potential value which I write down as well. Significant ones I'm going to organize later (ha) into their respective groups. It has helped me to focus on just the things I wrote down. I don't plan too far ahead unless it's planned for me.

Cedr
05-08-10, 11:36 AM
After browsing the internet for planning systems, and searching on this forum, I found that I'm wasting a LOT of time :S
I guess I'll start using pen an paper, and then just see what problems I face before I commit to something to sophisticated to use :S

meridian
05-08-10, 01:55 PM
Take out the first letter (first letter of my first name), the second letter (first letter of my last name), and the rest? If you don't know who that is, you can enlighten yourself today:D

Hey I learned something (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euterpe)! :)

Oh, I forgot, what kind of planner . . .

I use iCal on my Mac and iPhone, but to that I have a daily To-Do list which I generally write out over morning coffee, plus I use a timer and just got that great TimeTimer (http://www.timetimer.com/) (for iPhone) that Sit-n-Spin posted about.

I also just got a Levenger Note Card Bleacher (HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=Category=16-901|Level=2-3|PageID=2502) and Shirt Pocket Briefcase (HTTP://www.levenger.com/PAGETEMPLATES/PRODUCT/Product.asp?Params=category=11-76|level=2-3|pageid=2398) which I'm about to set up . . .

Plus I got 20% off that order by doing a search for "Levenger codes"

k31kozumi
05-09-10, 03:10 AM
i too use my iphone.

it instantly connects and updates with my mac and vice versa via mobileme. without the instant update id be lost.

i also use my phone for gps since i do home care for work and get new clients all the time.

the best is that i can talk on the phone while using the ical, internet, email all at the same time.

i use the camera a lot too for copying another student's notes for missed classes which i later print out, and for shopping i take a pic of an item with the price so i don't forget it later.

the alarm reminds me to take my meds, ical alarms send reminders to the main iphone screen 1/2 hour before every appointmnt and todo.

i never lose it bc it's also my phone and ipod. i found id forget my paper calendar a lot.

MissBonkers
07-07-10, 03:10 AM
Even though I am very tech savvy and have a Blackberry that I can sync to my Mac, I could never keep disciplined with updating and syncing calendars. (Also, I experienced devastating Blackberry memory wipeouts that also deleted my computer calendar. No backup = no bueno.) So after trying out a million methods I found the system that works perfectly for me and it's pretty low tech!!

Since I am very adamant about leaving day-job work at work and keeping my work calendar separate from my freelance/personal calendar, I utilize the following two things at work only:
1) Outlook - to keep track of my work-only calendar. I include meetings for the day and any super important reminders that I need to have pop up on my desktop.
2) Large spiral notebook - I write down to-do lists, meeting notes, phone conversations, etc. Then after I finish a task, I use a sharpie and put a big X next to the task. It's pretty easy to go back and reference what I have left to do. I've amassed a collection that I keep at the office and there are often times where I have to refer back to them to help jog my memory.
*If for some reason I am not at work, but remember something important I have to do when I get to the office the next day, I send an email to my work address via my Blackberry. When I get to the office, I'll see the email reminder and either put the task in my notebook or enter it in my Outlook calendar.

In my purse, I make sure I carry the following two things to handle my after work/personal/freelance tasks:
1) At-A-Glance Monthly View Calendar - This calendar I use for my before and after work activities, lunch meetings, dinner meetings, mixers and social events. I like to see the big picture so monthly works perfectly for me.
2) Moleskine Notebook - I write a checklist of personal tasks/errands to do for the day and the week and cross them off as I accomplish them. Also I write down notes from phone conversations, meetings, and any other details and personal reminders that I know I will forget in 5 minutes. It's proven to be a great memory jogger, and a great consolidation tool. (Finally got rid of all those damn post-its!)

I've used this method for 2 years and it works just right for me, but it took a lot of trial and error and discipline to stay consistent.

steveno1570
11-09-11, 06:44 PM
I 'built' my planner out of...

... a zippered Trapper Keeper Binder filled with...

...letter size Calendar, Contacts, Project Worksheets, and Checklist's I've either made myself or downloaded from www.diyplanner.com.

This is the hub of my 'organizational system', everything is either created here or copied here, or indexed here.
The thing I like the most about this approach is that it's fairly cheap, and if something isn't working for me (1page a day calendar) it's easy to try something else (2 pages a month) until I find something that will work.

I also use a BlackBerry Bold 9700 w/ the RIM calendar/tasks app.

The BlackBerry by itself has made a HUGE difference in my productivity, mostly from alarms to remind when and what I need to do.

Currently I am testing both Google Calendar and I've downloaded the Thunderbird email program w/ the Lightning calendar extension onto my laptop.

emploding
11-09-11, 07:05 PM
Any sort of planner/reminder system I use tends to last about a week before I lose it or forget about it or lose interest in keeping it.

I keep all my notes in a zippered pencil case, but then I forget to look in there and forget I have notes I need to refer to. Reminders on my phone annoy me and I tend to dismiss them instead of delaying them :/