View Full Version : I probably have Tourette's too

ReneeK1980
05-26-09, 07:21 PM
Hi everyone! I'm very new to these forums. I was recently officially diagnosed with ADHD. I have it fairly severely. Basically, I could check off practically every sympton--or heck, maybe literally every symptom of the condition. I'm also 99% positive I have Tourette's to go along with it. I just haven't asked my psychiatrist about that yet. The idea I have TS isn't a new one, I've felt sure about it since doing some intensive reading over 15 years ago. I've read more about it off and on through out the years and have ruled out other disorders like OCD.

The reason I'm sure I don't have OCD is because I do not have any obsessions, which are the thoughts that drive the compulsions. My tics are very much like a sneeze. I can feel them coming and can hold them back but it feels so much better just to let them happen.

I have many tics, but they are all fairly mild. Not even my husband of 7 years recognized them for what they are. He thought I was just weird. :p I had pretty much put the term "Tourettes" out of my mind and just accepted my tics as part of my normal life until just a few days ago. We were at another couple's house for a cook-out. The wife said something about offering us lemonaid and as soon as she said "lemonaid" I repeated it, in a quiet yet singsong voice "Le-MON-aid!" Echolalia had reared its embarrassing and socially awkward head. She looked at me with a puzzled smile and I made up a legitimate sounding answer "Oh, sorry, I wasn't thinking." It brought Tourettes back to the forefront of my mind, which is why I'm now here.

I grimace my face in different ways. Sometimes I roll my mouth and tongue in all kinds of directions. Sometimes I look angry and release, over and over. Sometimes I blink rapidly,or do a combination of those. I jerk my head to the side a lot. Mostly to the right, though sometimes to the left, or even back and forth. I nod a lot less, with my head dropping suddenly and snapping to a stop, like a kid who has fallen asleep sitting up. To a casual observor it just looks like I'm looking around, until you realize that my eyes are unfocused and that there was no way I could have actually seen anything with a glance that brief. I also tap my fingers and hit my fists against tables and walls. Not all the time, but again it's like a sneeze. I tap and pat other things too, to a lesser extent. I will kick my legs back and kick the ground behind me with my toe.

My more complex motor tics are tapping a wall or table, clapping my hands together, and clapping my hands against my legs all in one fantastic burst. I also sometimes mix motor and verbal by spinning in sudden circles with outbursts of sounds. More along the verbal side of tic'ing I say "Hey!" too often, unwittingly put "No!" at the end of random words, I suck on my lips to make a loud smacking sound, I breath out heavily and for no obvious reason, I cough without being sick. There are probably others I can't remember.

Ah, see, just now I smacked the table, patted my thigh, and stomped the floor. That was a complex tic. My patterns vary slightly, but that's what I do over and over every day in some form or fashion.

So, there you have it in a nutshell. Aside from that, I am a wife, a mother of two wonderful kids, a college student. I love to bake, photography, to read, and to sing off-key. Hello to all of you. :)

Mincan
05-26-09, 07:24 PM
Welcome, I have Tourette's, ADHD, OCD, Major Depression, and Social Anxiety, nice to meet you.

ReneeK1980
05-26-09, 07:28 PM
Thank you so much for the welcome, Mincan. :)

nobody
06-01-09, 03:17 AM
Hi Reneek. Nice to "meet" you. :)
I'm 24, and a mother as well, and we sound so much alike when it comes to tics.

It definitely sounds like you have Tourette's.

I just wanted to say hi and let you know you aren't alone!
It can be so frustrating and embarrassing, but remember that eventually the tics will get better for a while (unfortunately, they will come back strong too).

The best advice I have is try your very best to limit the stress in your life. Easier said than done, I know. Stress is making my vocal tics horrible right now and quite honestly I think I could jump off a bridge. lol

Let me know if you ever need someone to talk to! :)