View Full Version : Dreams and Nightmares

PrincessSwan
05-27-09, 10:41 AM
Ellos >:]

I am curious to know if anybody else dreams/has nightmares almost every single night, all year through, always? Weird dreams, seriously twisted. I have asked lots NT people but they give me that sideways glance, you know the one, the 'Erm, no I sleep peacefully you frickin' oddjob' look.
Basically, is it an ADD thing or just a me thing?? Nobody I meet ever seems to bloody dream!!! Or have nightmares.

This post is more inarticulate than I care to realise, so my apologies >:]

P Swanny. ;)

sarek
05-27-09, 10:56 AM
I have taking the liberty to move your question to the sleep subforum where it might be better served.
There are some comparable threads here already such as this one :

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66051

Is this a recent phenomenon?
If so, can you tell us if anything has changed that could be an explanation. Such as different meds?

roseblood
05-27-09, 02:17 PM
Everyone dreams but not everyone remembers them. I'm aware most mornings that I've been dreaming, although often all I have is a vague sense of the tone them, and I rarely remember anything about them for very long.

BehindTheSofa
05-27-09, 03:03 PM
Since starting Dex 2 months ago I have noticed that my dreams are a lot more vivid than than they have ever been, even after I had eaten cheese! I wouldn't say they were twisted like you said that yours were, but I do find myself waking up and thinking that that that night's dream was a bit weird. The oddest so far was last week when I dreamt that I was breaking my dad out of a mental hospital!

But this would seem to be drug induced as opposed a byproduct of ADHD.

Flutterbudget
05-27-09, 04:14 PM
I have always had weird freaky dreams, very vivid, and I can recall them pretty well. And they are never the normal garden-variety "giving a speech while naked" kind of dreams. They are more like feature films, with special effects and all.

olavia
05-27-09, 06:45 PM
The last two years before my diagnosis when I felt my symptoms really hitting the roof, I had weird, fragmented dreams almost all the time. It was especially bad if I slept in, like I could drift in and out of sleep for hours not really able to wake up, and having terrible, disturbing dreams during those morning hours.

I dream a lot less now on meds, or at least I donīt wake up feeling like I spent the whole night having nightmares. My sleep is also better regulated. Be aware that ADD and sleep disorders commonly occur together.

PrincessSwan
05-27-09, 08:36 PM
I am intrigued by the last post about dreams being vivid especially during the morning. I find that my sleep pattern is similar to that, if I sleep in, I also dream especially ... erratically. Could this be an ADD thing?

ADDnBeyond
05-28-09, 02:45 PM
I have these too...sometimes I wake up intermittently and think what I'm dreaming about is actually going on in my apt. For example, if I'm dreaming about someone, I may literally think they are in my apt and wake up to see where they are. However, when I wake up fully, I know it was a dream.

I used to have these a lot when I was a teenager and sometimes I could control the outcome of these dreams if they were nightmares (i.e. if I was being chased, I could go in and hide somewhere).

I was told the controlling of them is called lucid dreams and the states in which I am half awake but can't get up, are narcoleptic states or episodes, although I don't have narcolepsy.

These vivid dreams were especially bad when I went into withdrawal from stopping an anti depressant earlier this yr. Idk if its ADD related...I thought it had something to do with anxiety or depression...

The last two years before my diagnosis when I felt my symptoms really hitting the roof, I had weird, fragmented dreams almost all the time. It was especially bad if I slept in, like I could drift in and out of sleep for hours not really able to wake up, and having terrible, disturbing dreams during those morning hours.

I dream a lot less now on meds, or at least I donīt wake up feeling like I spent the whole night having nightmares. My sleep is also better regulated. Be aware that ADD and sleep disorders commonly occur together.

melby1980
05-30-09, 09:54 PM
I find that I go through phases, especially when I am under stress, or my symptoms are out of control. I have always said I dream in technicolor lol. Seriously, when I dream I awake feeling like I have watched a movie, they can be pretty cool sometimes, scary at others. Also tend to express a lot of my fears in my dreams. I like to write them down right away when I wake up and have actually based some of my story plots around them :)

γ-quantum
05-31-09, 06:11 AM
well, everybody dreams every night (or they'd be seriously messed up without REM - rats even die in experiments when they're kept off REM for a few weeks), but i can often remember dreams, too... they quickly fade if i dont write them down or recall them over and over until i am fully awake, though.

this night, i dreamed that i was at school... but as an adult.
i think it has to do with that i likely have to go back to some sort of school for job education, so my brain was trying to 'think' about it in sleep...

anyway, i dreamed that i was in german class, and the teacher was reading out some text we had to write down, lol... a dictation like in 5th grade. i couldnt keep up and my handwriting was all messed up so i cursed about that to the teacher and wrote curse words down on the paper and all, and then i just err.. drank a beer. lol. the teacher didnt complain about that for some reason. then i asked my neighbour what's next. she said 'sports, swimming class'. and i said i'm not going, look at me, i'm 25, i cant do sports anymore, i am way too old and havent done any in 10 years. she said i would have to go, though. i said 'we will see about that' and managed to escape the classroom and was then hiding in a toilet, lol... i stood on the toilet seat and didnt lock the door, so it wasnt obviously visible i was in there, and i was hearing people in the room going to the other toilets, hoping i'm not going to be spotted.

what the hell, really. that was a mix of 'today' with 'back then at school' dreamed together. i hate such dreams, they kind of mess me up, like, make me depressed or something for a while.

EYEFORGOT
05-31-09, 09:05 AM
My therapist tells me to write my dreams down. When we're asleep our brains keep on working, sorting things out. She didn't give me a "dream interpretation" book, but encourages me to see what I can see in them...that different pieces of the dream represent myself, even the other people. Sometimes there's some useful insight...sometimes it's just gobbledygook.

tlhengel
05-31-09, 01:35 PM
I dream like crazy. They're strange and totally off the wall sometimes, other times they're as boring and mundane as my real life. The worst is when I dream about work all night and then wake up and actually have to go there!

I've had the unpleasant experience of dreaming that I was killing someone. :eek: It was so incredibly scary. And it wasn't just like I shot them, I dreamed that I was stabbing them. I felt so guilty when I woke up even though it was just a dream. I worried that there was something seriously messed up about me. Maybe there is. :confused:

Sometimes I wake up and they're a little foggy, just out of my mental reach. I'll know that I dreamed about something weird, and that it involved certain ppl, like my husband, but that's all I'll remember. Other times they are so vivid and realistic, I have a hard time distinguishing whether it really happened or if it was just a dream.

There are times that the dream just sticks with me forever. Usually the ones that freak me out are the ones I remember the longest.

The house that my husband and I rented in Arizona used to give me horrigble, awful nightmares. I don't know if there was some sort of supernatural thing going on, but once we moved they stopped. I'd wake up crying at least once a week from my nightmares there.

I've always had weird, vivid dreams, even as a kid. I've gone through periods of having a reoccuring dream, usually a nightmare. I've dreamed about something and then had it happen in real life. Talk about some serious deja vu! I've been known to sleep walk and talk. I thrash about in my sleep sometimes like I'm trying to beat someone up. My husband complains about it all the time.

I wonder if some of us are more sensitive or perceptive to things around us, and we dream more because of it.