View Full Version : nonverbal learning disorder...at first glance

ambrosiac
05-27-09, 04:00 PM
i just got back from the hospital, having completed my neuro-psych testing. while the fact that i suffer from depression is obvious, my neurologist has come to the conclusion that i have both nvld and adhd-pi. here's why.

MY NVLD TRAITS ARE:

viq is significantly higher than piq (30 points)

very bad 3-D spatial skills

poor visual memory

left hand speed and tactile finger recognition deficit

bilateral fine motor deficit

very weak mental flexibility (i have problems with adapting to new situations)

sensory integration disorder- hyposensitive rather than hypersensitive

however, i am lacking a few very important features mandatory to diagnosing nvld:

i am by no means a talker

i have no problems whatsoever with reading nonverbal cues

i don't have any problems with gross motor skills

my handwriting, in spite of the difficulty with fine motor skills, is great

poor verbal memory also

abstract reasoning is average, not deficient

i showed attentional problems and impulsive behavior on a few tests, which are typical problems of adhd. i received "an ADHD score of -3.83, just below the cut-off of -1.08 and consistent with an attention deficit hyperactivity disorder."

my neuropsychologist did not deny these theories, but he did propose that i had a petit seizure disorder, the type that is marked by staring spells rather than by physical spasms.

however, an EEG and some other neurological test proved negative for seizures. yet my neuropsych remains convinced that i have seizures, explaining that they don't occur all the time, so the tests may have missed them.

this is all very important to me... it would be great if someone could offer some insight.

speedo
05-27-09, 06:06 PM
It's true. Office EEG's are not likely to catch absence seizures.

What it takes to catch them is one of the portable recordig EEG's that you wear for several days.

Me :D

APSJ
05-27-09, 07:53 PM
however, i am lacking a few very important features mandatory to diagnosing nvld:

i am by no means a talker

i have no problems whatsoever with reading nonverbal cues

i don't have any problems with gross motor skills

my handwriting, in spite of the difficulty with fine motor skills, is great

poor verbal memory also

abstract reasoning is average, not deficient

i've never heard any of these called mandatory features of NVLD. I don't see how they could be, really, since NVLD isn't an official diagnosis. It seems like more of a catch-all for a variety of poorly understood problems.

Although I'm by no means an expert, I don't think being a talker would weigh one way or the other in the diagnosis(depending on the type of talking). I also am not a talker, don't have problems with gross motor skills, and have no problems with abstract reasoning. I have been diagnosed with NVLD, or technically LD-NOS(Visusal Memory Impairment).
I do have horrible handwriting, difficulty with social cues, and many of the other NVLD traits you listed.

In my opinion, trying to understand a diagnosis of this type is quite frustrating because even the experts really don't know that much. How often do your read about a new study of people born with visual memory issues?

I don't know much about seizure disorders, but I did know someone who was epileptic, and had both grand mal seizures and the type your psychologist suggested you have. When she had the latter type, I could usually tell, because she wouldn't hear anything I said or see anything I did when she had them. In her case, they lasted long enough that its unlikely they could have been mistaken for ADD, but I suppose if they were very short, they could be. I would think the major difference would be that if you're staring into space because you're daydreaming, someone can redirect your attention, if you're having a seizure, you won't hear them at all. Is there anyone who's around you enough of the day that you could ask them to check?

Why does your psychologist think you have a seizure disorder?

ambrosiac
06-16-09, 01:44 PM
i have no idea as to why he thinks i have a seizure disorder, other than he's been a neurologist for a long time and he's well aware of the tell-tale symptoms, and is able to know what it isn't.

i do have seizure-like instances, but people can snap me out of them. correct me if i'm wrong, but daydreaming is when your mind floats off but you've still got your thoughts on a leash; not so with me, who is not aware of his thoughts (or even feelings at times) at all.

what's really upsetting me is the hyposensitivity issue that's getting markedly worse. i can barely feel anything on the surface of my skin, excluding hot and cold. my hearing is fading, my smell is almost gone, and my sense of taste has diminished noticeably.

who knows, it could be something very atypical. maybe this is what you get for not eating your wheaties.

APSJ
06-16-09, 01:51 PM
I've never heard of the sensory issue being related to NVLD. Once again, I'm far from being an expert, but the fact that its getting worse would seem to suggest that its something else, as I think these NVLD issues tend to either stay the same or get marginally better over time.

I know that there are lot of conditions with similar symptoms to ADHD, but with different causes, and I'd imagine there are for a lot of the other symptoms you have as well. Are you getting more tests to find out what's going on with your senses? I hope you figure it out, and I'd be interested to hear if you do.

ambrosiac
06-21-09, 12:25 AM
they've pretty much given up on trying to get to the bottom of the hyposensitivity issue. they think it's either severe depression or just psychosomatic, which couldn't be further from the truth.

also, you said that i probably have many symptoms that fit the criteria for other disorders. too true. at one point i was hospitalized because i hadn't slept for a few nights. i showed signs of paranoia (delusions of persecution), as well as very disorganized thoughts and mild olfactory hallucinations. i was also extremely languid and apathetic. they thought i had schizophrenia, but they were wrong.

APSJ
06-22-09, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry to hear they've given up on getting to the bottom of that. It must be really hard to experience something like that and not have an explanation.

DTownDave22
02-03-10, 11:46 PM
Kind of comforting to read some of these posts.

I've thought that some other learning disablity may be a possibility, but reading about non-verbal learning disabilities made me think otherwise whenever I started doing a little bit of research on them. I seem to have some issues consistent with NVLD that I've read about, but others I seem to lack. I'll have to keep reading these forums. If there are any more updated sources about NVLD's, I'd love to read them. I just can't get over the feeling that there is something wrong with me in addition to ADD.